correct way to collect rent arrears from tenants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

correct way to collect rent arrears from tenants

One tenant left he has housing benefit money for arrears refuses to pay and thinks because I dont have his address he is not going to pay despite text saying he would.the other tenant wishes to stay appling for housing benefit no way can she afford arrears unless as she has said it will take her some time to pay.I think both are playing me to get out of paying the arrears and think i WILL simply issue a new tenancy for one i would but will not accept to walk away from arrears.I sent a text as this is the only way the tenant that left speaks to me and told him I am issuing county court papers against both for rent arrears ,is it good enough to send to address he has left as I still have a tenancy with both of them as neither has given written notice or he has not returned any keys.he has not moved far away and the remaining tenant named the road and town he was in.

This is a joint tenancy?
    Is it still in it's fixed term?
    Did the tenant who left give you written notice?

Comment

not in fixed term ,just phone and text to say he had moved out and we all loose whatever he meant by that.

Comment

Okay, you really need a bit of 'real' legal advice.

If you accept his text as notice (you don't have to), that ended the tenancy, leaving you with 2 choices regarding the female - treat her as a trespasser, or grant her a new tenancy. If you do the former, you would need to get a court order to evict, but you could get the order within a week and I believe the bailiffs would prioritise such a possession order too.

If you grant her a new tenancy, then although you can pursue her through the courts for missing rent, you can't use 'joint tenancy' unpaid rent as ammo for a 'sole tenancy' section 8 eviction.

In your shoes, I'd want the non-payers out, not allow the female to carry on running up more rent arrears. Whether they are there or not, if they are skint you are going to find it difficult to get money out of them - court order or no court order.

If you don't accept his notice (it needs to be written, and I'm pretty sure a text doesn't count) then the current joint tenancy continues and you can serve notices on the male at the rental address providing the tenancy agreement specifies that that is where you can serve notices.

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post

If you accept his text as notice (you don't have to), that ended the tenancy, leaving you with 2 choices regarding the female - treat her as a trespasser, or grant her a new tenancy. If you do the former, you would need to get a court order to evict, but you could get the order within a week and I believe the bailiffs would prioritise such a possession order too.
          I believe that if the tenant in situ were to say that no notice has been given, a court would tend to agree with them.
          Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Originally posted by thesaint View Post
            I believe that if the tenant in situ were to say that no notice has been given, a court would tend to agree with them.
            Any individual tenant acts on behalf of 'the tenant'. If 'the tenant' gives invalid notice, it is up to the landlord whether to accept it or not.

In this instance 'the tenant' has given notice.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
              by Forgetmeknot
              Thankyou for your replies.

Taking on board your comments but interested in how you think it is two separate things….?
              One action was the direct cause of another land if I’m in court disputing amount of money owed isn’t that the time to be arguing my case? Not to be receiving...
              19-05-2022, 08:32 AM
            • Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
              by Forgetmeknot
              I wondered if anyone can tell me if it is possible to counter claim for damage, harassment, poss landlord breach in contract and emotional distress in a section 8 eviction.
              so basically I’ve read online that i can claim for compensation which will go towards reducing my rent arrears but my solicitor...
              18-05-2022, 16:30 PM
            • Reply to Single parent renting
              by doobrey
              Certainly.

In my view, both sides must be free to choose. If you take away the right of businesses (which LLs are, whether they consider themselves to be or not) to assess risk and respond accordingly they will not be in business for very long. And if the LLs disappear then...
              19-05-2022, 08:18 AM
            • Single parent renting
              by Dct
              A friend of mine who is a single parent with three children is trying to find a house to rent. She has three children and recieves UC mainly to help with childcare costs, but despite viewing several houses and showing interest and showing she is more than able to pay rent, she has been turned down and...
              18-05-2022, 16:32 PM
              by Dct
              The UC is too help pay for childcare, so she can work ( and does work full time), therefore pay rent/bills etc etc. It just feels like some landlords make sweeping judgements as soon as they hear single parent in receipt of UC
              19-05-2022, 08:16 AM
            • Reply to Advice for tenant asked for big rent rise
              by DoricPixie
              You don't need to get the details from the Land Registry. The tenant can request, in writing, the letting agency to supply the landlord's contact details citing the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985. I'm not sure how wise that would be if it could potentially hack off the landlord although I do wonder...
              19-05-2022, 08:09 AM
            • Advice for tenant asked for big rent rise
              by Renterthedragon
              I’m a tenant facing a sharp rent increase and in need of advice.

I have a good landlord who agreed to a rent reduction last year because of ongoing maintenance issues and lower market values. However, I can only communicate with them through an agency.

Approaching the end...
              18-05-2022, 22:10 PM
              by jpkeates
              Dct If the reason that your friend can't get a tenancy is because she's a woman or because she has children, it is probably discriminatory.
              Which is probably a reason no one is going to explain why she's being turned down.

Being on benefits isn't going to help either - because people...
              19-05-2022, 08:02 AM
              by jpkeates
              I can't tell you how hacked off I would be if one of my tenants did that.

The agreement has a price variation clause in it, the landlord and tenant have both agreed to it,...
              19-05-2022, 07:58 AM
              by theartfullodger
              Spend £3 with gov.uk land registry and get deeds which will get owner name and address then communicate directly
              Agree with above advice

Agent probably wants new agreement signed so they charge landlord fees....
              19-05-2022, 07:21 AM
            Working...
            X