Missold a letting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missold a letting

We were shown a round a property and told by the agent that the landlord would be decorating and repairing the property as part of the new letting specifics were discussed as well as the landlord requiring two weeks to complete the works prior to us moving in.
    The Agent insisted on signing the contracts at the office prior to us moving in. they did tell us there was a large stain in one of the carpets that they were unable to remove but should be easily covered by furniture. This rang alarm bells but did not prepare us for what we found.
    When we entered the property we discovered none of the work had been completed, an attempt to repair the leaking shower had been made but not completed. None of the decoration had been completed as promised and the several repairs including the following, Damp and mould in the bedroom from a leak in the roof, toilet not working, shower not working, letterbox broken, fitted blinds broken, garden very over grown and full of dog mess, heating leaking, exposed electrics in the airing cupboard, and unable to close a large window. To name just a few!!!
    The property was dirty, mould growing in the fridge, badly stained carpets and walls.
    We contacted the agent on the moving day and went through the inventory and list of issues, (the inventory was a joke and grossly inaccurate) we were promised a call from the landlord and we have received nothing, we have tried calling and sending a text message still no response a week later I have been told someone will discuss our complaint next week!
    We chose to pay for a higher rental in the belief the works would be completed and would justify the high price tag.
    I would appreciate some advice…..

Have you actually moved in yet?
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
      Have you actually moved in yet?
      Yes we moved in on the Saturday, we had no choice as the removal van had to be returned and no where to store our items.

Comment

I'm sorry to hear of the situation.

Put your specific complaints in writing (letter or email) to the landlord (via the letting agency if they are managing the property for him as well as just finding tenants - check with them first).

Tell them that you are disgusted with the state of the property, it was not what you were told it would be and unless they organise remedial action to begin within the next fortnight you will follow the protocol laid down by Shelter to instruct repairs yourself and deduct the cost from your rent. Please read this website first: http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad..._to_do_repairs

Also advise them that unless they take urgent (i.e. days not weeks) action over the damp and mould and the exposed electrics you will be obliged to contact the EHO at the council as these are are a health & safety risk.

If they do not act within your deadline, carry out your promise.
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Rental Arrears claim against deposit
          by DPT57
          Which is another reason never to let an agent deal with the deposit.
          22-09-2020, 17:04 PM
        • Rental Arrears claim against deposit
          by redgoody
          We have recently informed our agents, who have in turn informed the tenants, that we are claiming the full amount of rental arrears from their deposit. Deposit is £1,065. Rental arrears £1,059. Prior to moving out, the tenant indicated that it was his intention to settle arrears using deposit....
          21-09-2020, 15:45 PM
        • Reply to Do you regularly (or at all) increase rent for existing tenants?
          by tatemono
          my mistake in not clarifying what I meant by us not being in it for the money. Yes, it's an investment and it's a better way of using money than having it just sitting around, so yes, getting a return is important. What I meant was that we're looking for enough of a return, and we have way more than...
          22-09-2020, 17:03 PM
        • Do you regularly (or at all) increase rent for existing tenants?
          by ChrisDennison
          I would like to gauge your experience on this - in all my properties I have never increased rent in an existing tenancy, regardless of how long the tenant stays. Am I stupid or normal or somewhere in between?

I’m of course happy to adjust to market rent whenever a tenant moves out and...
          19-09-2020, 19:00 PM
        • Reply to Possible to end tenancy early?
          by jpkeates
          While it's possible that your account might make a judge more sympathetic to your side of the case, it shouldn't make a lot of difference.

A fixed term is a fixed term and you'd be relying on the landlord agreeing to something that they don't have to or doing something they don't have to....
          22-09-2020, 16:58 PM
        • Possible to end tenancy early?
          by May79
          I’m having a truly horrific time in my new rental property and after an incident with LL today I’ve decided I cannot stay here. I’ve signed a 12 month assured shorthold tenancy and LL is in breach of the agreed terms on multiple counts. I do not feel safe here anymore and despite the exorbitant...
          21-09-2020, 22:07 PM
          by May79
          My cat wasn’t that old or sick, we have had numerous sightings of him some 20 miles away and believe someone has dumped him there. We’re still searching for him.
          Thanks for your advice it’s much appreciated, I’ll start looking for somewhere else. I’m hoping that their appalling conduct...
          22-09-2020, 16:53 PM
        • Reply to Proving tenants are related
          by DPT57
          Yes, but the HMO regulations are in statute and I assume that a Council policy defining family relationships could only relate to their licensing conditions....
          22-09-2020, 16:48 PM
        • Proving tenants are related
          by Kestrel78
          This is our first time letting a property. One of the first viewings are three nurses who say they are cousins. We don’t have permission to let as an HMO, so is there a way to prove their relationship or anything we can ask them to sign to state their relationship so we are covered legally with our...
          19-09-2020, 12:14 PM
          by jpkeates
          The only way to end the tenancy early is with the landlord's agreement.

But
          First of all, you need to find somewhere else to live and, probably, move there.
          Then take the keys to the agent and offer to surrender the tenancy and hand the keys over.
          Then keep your eye on...
          22-09-2020, 16:47 PM
        Working...
        X