Benefits of fitting a new Bathroom in rental property....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Benefits of fitting a new Bathroom in rental property....

I have owned a rental property for quite a few years now and realise the Bathroom is looking a little tired compared to the rest of the property. Don't get me wrong it is exceptionally clean and all the tiles are in good shape although the actual style looks a little old fashioned.

The property is in a very affluent area therefore I guess my tenants would expect a good modern bathroom? I have priced up to renew and think it may cost approx 3k.

My question is would refitting a new bathroom increase the rental value of the property or am I wasting money? Could I increase the rent say £100 per month after its done?

You do realise that absolutely no one can answer you with the information you have given?
    Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Thanks. What info do you require?

Comment

Originally posted by matthew1000 View Post
        The property is in a very affluent area therefore I guess my tenants would expect a good modern bathroom?
        [...]
        My question is would refitting a new bathroom increase the rental value of the property or am I wasting money? Could I increase the rent say £100 per month after its done?
        It's all about what tenants expect (as you've pointed out) and what the market rental value of your property is, or should be, versus the competition; and also how quickly the property will let with and without a new bathroom (eg if it stays empty 3 months, and your rent is £1,000 pcm, then that's the cost of the new bathroom...)

Comment

Yes thats right! I have potential Tenants calling me direct and also my Letting agent doing regular viewings. It usually rents within a Month which is great. However it usually rents to Professional Men as I think Women may get put off by the fact it is an older shower unit and bathroom. I just wondered if I spent the 3k on a new Bathroom would that justify the rent going up say £100 a month? As I dont want to spend 3k and just get the same rent with tenants I would have got anyway.

Food for thought!

Comment

Originally posted by matthew1000 View Post
            I just wondered if I spent the 3k on a new Bathroom would that justify the rent going up say £100 a month?
            Go on Rightmove and look at other rental properties in your area. See how your property would compare with other properties that rent for £100 a month more. That will give you your answer.

Comment

We replaced our tired and dated bathroom and kitchen in out flat in London. Took us one month and cost 5K. We got £100 more per week for a 1 bed.

Comment

Wow 5k is a very good price for Bathroom and kitchen bbva. Good on you. Guess thats what I'm wanting to hear!

Comment

In my block of similar sized flats a tired 1 bedder goes for 900 pcm, a top notch 1 bedder 1200, so a 300 pcm or 30% uplift.

In capital terms a top notch one you get the rental uplift (payback say 2 years) & when you sell it you get c 10k extra v the tired one.

Comment

You could try talking to letting agents see what they say, there are other advantages, you increase the value of the property, may rent easier and you may get a longer term tenant which could reduce your costs

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Tenants possessions left in abandoned property
                      by MR M
                      I did consider approaching a Tracing Agent to try to obtain the Tenant's current whereabouts or updated information about them but the feeling is that it is not worth initiating this yet as its too soon. They may not show-up as having set-up elsewhere yet or have generated updated information about...
                      22-09-2020, 14:10 PM
                    • Tenants possessions left in abandoned property
                      by MR M
                      The tenancy is a statutory periodic tenancy after the original AST ended. The tenant has rent arrears and a S21 was issued around 3 months ago. There is no deposit and an EPC, gas safety certificate and how to rent guide were all issued previously to the tenant.

I believe that the tenant...
                      16-09-2020, 10:03 AM
                    • Reply to Renovation/Improvements vs Repairs / Maintenance
                      by newtenant9011
                      You can prevent the landlord from entering, as you have a right to quiet enjoyment, you can even replace the locks if you would like.

In turn, the landlord could issue you a section 21 notice, but the notice period is 6 months currently plus the court backlog.
                      22-09-2020, 14:08 PM
                    • Renovation/Improvements vs Repairs / Maintenance
                      by thesleepingdog
                      Hello,

I am having A LOT of trouble with my LL who is continually asking to carry out improvements on the property. It is literally nonstop and it has got to the stage where I am utterly fed up and want to leave.

During my tenancy he has replaced all the windows in the house,...
                      22-09-2020, 13:22 PM
                    • Reply to Rent Rises in 2020
                      by DPT57
                      In my part of London there is no market justification for rent increases and imo increased individual landlord costs is not a reason to raise them....
                      22-09-2020, 14:07 PM
                    • Rent Rises in 2020
                      by jpucng62
                      I cancelled all my annual rent increases when Covid hit. Since then some people have really suffered financially and others haven’t. In addition LHA rates have increased substantially for anyone needing support which appears to have had the knock on effect of increasing the rent of properties now...
                      19-09-2020, 17:48 PM
                    • Reply to Rats
                      by ChrisDennison
                      These are very interesting comments, one of my councils (South West) told me they had to stop these services unless in public areas.
                      22-09-2020, 12:35 PM
                    • Rats
                      by ETB
                      I have a tenant who has reported that he can here rats in the walls and ceiling of his 4th floor apartment. He says there are other complaints on the tenants facebook group. I have messaged the maintenance company (Name removed) but they are not replying. Just wanted to check who is liable, I'm assuming...
                      21-09-2020, 22:15 PM
                    • Reply to Rats
                      by Berlingogirl
                      I contacted my council and the rat man came out a couple of hours later with a T shaped tube thing full of blue grain which he put behind some bushes in the garden. It was free. I've not seen any rats since but the blue grain is going down. Apparently slugs and mice will also eat the bait....
                      22-09-2020, 12:22 PM
                    • Reply to Call to courts to initiate reactivation
                      by Jon66
                      You can send the information to court quoting the case number and ask them to include it in the bundle. If it's a mandatory ground the information will make little if any difference to the outcome.
                      22-09-2020, 12:04 PM
                    Working...
                    X