Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check out fees deducted from deposit

Hello all

My elderly parents recently moved out of a house let by agent {Mod - name removed}. They were chared circa £70 cleaning, £70 gardening, £30 lighbulbs and £30 check out fee from their deposit.

The property was left neat as a pin by my parents but thet naively accepted the charges through the DPS. My particlar gripe is the "check out fee". Surely this should be billed either to the landlord or tenant NOT deducted from a security deposit. What do others thing?

What difference does it make whether it is billed to the tenant, or it being deducted from the deposit?
    What does their contract state?
    Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

No mention was made about check out fee in TA.

Comment

OK, so it shouldn't have been charged - no way would DPS have allowed it if your parents had quibbled about it.

Given that it's been paid, it's not relevant whether it was paid direct by the tenant or deducted from the deposit, there's still a case for arguing the toss about it; however I wouldn't hold your breath about getting a refund. (Is the agent a member of an accredited body that you could complain to, by any chance?)

Comment

No trade body unfortunately. Moderator removed the name of the agency but they are {Mod - blatant hint to agent name removed}

Comment

Then they should at least be associated with ARLA, double check their website.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X