Tenant demands overpaid rent refund!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant demands overpaid rent refund!!!

My mother is a pensioner who has been living in same rented London flat for 8 years paying 850 in rent under a yearly tenancy agreement. She set up a standing order with her bank to pay the landlord for 850 rent each month. Somehow a subsequent standing order for 85 has been going out too. That's about 8000 in overpaid rent discovered last week. Tenant is old with language difficulties and didn't realize until now. Landlord never informed tenant and we are waiting response to claim. Landlord requested tenant move out by Sept 29 2 months ago. As tenants what should we do? Have bank statements and forwarded dates and made claim to landlord who is also holding 850 deposit. Thanks.

As long as you have records and proof along with a tenancy agreement/contract then you should be fine. It will of course take some time and you may even have to sue if your Landlord proves to be tricky.

Comment

You should instruct some legal representation to ensure that you do everything correctly. As long as YOU have proof of payment and YOU have evidence of Contract then shouldn't be difficult to recover, except you may have to come up with a Payment Plan for the Letting Agent if they dont have the funds.

Comment

It has been stated on this forum repeatedly that overpaid rent is not re-payable 'as a right' therefore court action may be fruitless. I offer this merely as a starting point for research, not as a statement of fact. The specifics of your mothers case may affect this.

Comment

Thanks to all for replies so far... The 'Not-a-right' is well stated and the concern. Is that a legal point or spirit of the law so to speak? With respect to repayment plan, good point although no agent involved and landlord likely selling. Thanks.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Rent Rises in 2020
            by DPT57
            Well if the market rent for your properties has increased and you think that there would be a good prospect of re-letting quickly and there is a low risk that your existing tenant will stop paying rent altogether then from a business point of view, it makes sense to increase the rent. Having said that,...
            22-09-2020, 14:57 PM
          • Rent Rises in 2020
            by jpucng62
            I cancelled all my annual rent increases when Covid hit. Since then some people have really suffered financially and others haven’t. In addition LHA rates have increased substantially for anyone needing support which appears to have had the knock on effect of increasing the rent of properties now...
            19-09-2020, 17:48 PM
            by jpucng62
            Where I rent properties (Beds / Northants / Nottingham) rents have risen substantially and availability has fallen. So my question is still, 6 months on from everyone being told to stay at home and with normality of work returning for many tenants (I accept not all) and many people not unduly financially...
            22-09-2020, 14:44 PM
          • Reply to Tenants possessions left in abandoned property
            by MR M
            I did consider approaching a Tracing Agent to try to obtain the Tenant's current whereabouts or updated information about them but the feeling is that it is not worth initiating this yet as its too soon. They may not show-up as having set-up elsewhere yet or have generated updated information about...
            22-09-2020, 14:10 PM
          • Tenants possessions left in abandoned property
            by MR M
            The tenancy is a statutory periodic tenancy after the original AST ended. The tenant has rent arrears and a S21 was issued around 3 months ago. There is no deposit and an EPC, gas safety certificate and how to rent guide were all issued previously to the tenant.

I believe that the tenant...
            16-09-2020, 10:03 AM
          • Reply to Renovation/Improvements vs Repairs / Maintenance
            by newtenant9011
            You can prevent the landlord from entering, as you have a right to quiet enjoyment, you can even replace the locks if you would like.

In turn, the landlord could issue you a section 21 notice, but the notice period is 6 months currently plus the court backlog.
            22-09-2020, 14:08 PM
          • Renovation/Improvements vs Repairs / Maintenance
            by thesleepingdog
            Hello,

I am having A LOT of trouble with my LL who is continually asking to carry out improvements on the property. It is literally nonstop and it has got to the stage where I am utterly fed up and want to leave.

During my tenancy he has replaced all the windows in the house,...
            22-09-2020, 13:22 PM
            by DPT57
            In my part of London there is no market justification for rent increases and imo increased individual landlord costs is not a reason to raise them....
            22-09-2020, 14:07 PM
          • Reply to Rats
            by ChrisDennison
            These are very interesting comments, one of my councils (South West) told me they had to stop these services unless in public areas.
            22-09-2020, 12:35 PM
          • Rats
            by ETB
            I have a tenant who has reported that he can here rats in the walls and ceiling of his 4th floor apartment. He says there are other complaints on the tenants facebook group. I have messaged the maintenance company (Name removed) but they are not replying. Just wanted to check who is liable, I'm assuming...
            21-09-2020, 22:15 PM
          Working...
          X