Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord uncontactable - until today

Hi

I was wondering if someone could please help me out.

I rented a flat and the contract ended on 22/08/2012. An estate agent close to the property showed me around the flat and sorted out my application but the landlord was a company located in another town (and it was the landlord that sorted out any problems).

My contract states I need to give a months notice to vacate the property. As two e-mail address were provided and I'm very busy with work, I decided to e-mail the landlord as this is written notice. On 20/07/2012, I emailed the branch to let them know I wanted to move out. I got a "delivery failure - the recipients e-mail address was not found on the recipients e-mail system" email instantly back. I tried another e-mail address and made reference to previous e-mail, and got the same response. I also tried ringing but got no answer.

I phoned the estates agents, who showed me around, and they stated that company and been bought by another and they were unsure who and said they would get to back to me, which they never. I then cancelled the standing order so no more payments would be made after 22/07/2012 (last payment date). I again phoned the estate agents asking, on 17/08/2012, if they have any information - and they stated that they still don't know who have bought the company and would get back to me and again they never.

I then today got phone call from a woman at a company I've never heard of before asking why I haven't paid my rent. I explained I wanted to vacate the property but couldn't get through to anyone. She stated that they have sent a letter to "thousands" explaining the changes of ownership - which I never received. I asked if it was sent via recorded delivery and she replied no. She also said I'm the only one who has had problems contacting them and any phone calls/e-mails would have been diverted to their office. I explained that I had evidence that I had e-mailed, but she sounded like she didn't want to know. On top of that she said that I would to write to them with one months months notice to vacate the property but I would have to pay another months rent, which I don't see as fair as I've been unable to contact them to vacate sooner.

Can anyone please help, I've started a new job and wont get paid till the end of next month.

thanks in advance,

Have you actually moved out of the property? Did you leave on or before the last day of the tenancy?

If so, legally you need give no notice at all to leave when the fixed term ends. Obviously, it is courtesy to do so, but provided you pay rent up to the last day, and move out and return the keys before midnight that day, you can leave with no notice whatsoever.

Are you still living there?

Comment

I am living with my parents, I left a few days before my contract finished but am not sure who to give the keys to. I have the odd cleaning supplies there, but that would not be missed if I dont see them again.

thanks.

Comment

Your tenancy agreement shold have had an address for the service of documents - did it?

LesleyAnne is correct about notice, but in your situation it would not have harmed writing to the address given a few days beforehand to ascertain what to do with the keys. Email is not written notice.

However, if you weren't occupying the premises as your primary home at the expiry of the agreement, the tenancy ended, full stop.

They may argue that without notice a 'periodic tenancy' came into being. You can point out that that is section 5 of the 1988 Housing Act, and that act only applies to Assured (shorthold) tenancies. Yours was no longer an AST as you did not "occupy the dwelling-house as his only or principal home" (section 1(1)(b) 1988 HA).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Part furnished
          by jpkeates
          It depends on your local market.
          Mine seems expect a fridge freezer and washing machine as an "unfurnished" property.

Blinds not curtains and it varies - usually whats been left behind (have had to add some blind safety hook things in the past).

Check ads for...
          18-09-2020, 13:48 PM
        • Part furnished
          by Chester Perry
          Our property was let part furnished however upon leaving the Ex. tenant took it upon himself to relieve us of the white goods and wooden blinds.

The dishwasher, washing machine, 2 x fridge freezers and wooden blinds throughout were actually ones purchased when the property was our main...
          18-09-2020, 13:34 PM
        • Reply to Housing First - what are your thoughts?
          by boletus
          What are your arrears and eviction % rates?
          18-09-2020, 13:41 PM
        • Housing First - what are your thoughts?
          by LandlordLiaisonOfficer
          Hello,

I work for a homeless charity and I am hoping you don't mind me bending your ear and gaining some landlord insight on a model we are imminently implementing for some of our service users.

Traditional housing models within the homeless sector require the service user...
          18-09-2020, 12:32 PM
        • Reply to Guarantor agreements
          by AndrewDod
          I suppose the real questions is not "what tricks do I need to try to get around these potential massive risks"
          but rather
          a) "how much extra premium should I charge on rents to offset these massive risks" - 10%, 50% ?
          and
          b) What criteria does a potential...
          18-09-2020, 13:33 PM
        • Guarantor agreements
          by CHARLIEMAN
          Hi all,

I am asking a prospective tenant to provide a guarantor and was wondering how the deed should be dated with regards to the term of the tenancy. The tenancy will be a 6 month assured shorthold agreement but I would want the guarantor to continue to act for the duration of the periodic...
          16-09-2020, 14:22 PM
        • Reply to Deposit Negotitations with Landlord
          by flyingfreehold
          they tend to favour the tenant
          18-09-2020, 13:26 PM
        • Deposit Negotitations with Landlord
          by Maymiss
          I am moving out of my rented home shortly, i have caused some damage which I notified the landlord of when it happened and they have recently visited to discuss the cost of repairs, which we have agreed. The landlord is now asking that I pay this money to them directly. It is not possible for the work...
          03-08-2020, 11:47 AM
        • Reply to Deposit Negotitations with Landlord
          by Maymiss
          I am sad to say that after paying a lump sum to my landlord, they are now claiming the full amount of my deposit also. My deposit is held with DPS and I understand they are generally fair in their dealings, but after reading reviews online it appears they do not always review disputes thoroughly and...
          18-09-2020, 13:21 PM
        • Reply to Section 21 issued with new tenancy
          by ChrisDennison
          Of course not because a s21 notice is a private notice so nobody will know how many are issued in the country each day, and this would only change if all s21 notices would need to be centrally lodged (I can’t see that happen and can’t see a good reason for it either).

18-09-2020, 13:07 PM
        Working...
        X