Landlord Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord Issues

Me and a few friends have rented a house for university and the tennancy started on August 1st. We paid the first months rent 2 weeks in advance and was told by the letting agency, by email, that we would be able to collect our keys and move in on August 1st.

When we went to collect they keys we were told that we were unable to have them due to work being carried out on the house. We were told that we would be able to come back in 2 weeks. Fair enough. We went back and were then told that the work wouldn't be completed until the middle of September but rent was still due to be paid on the 1st September. Now, when we rang up individually the letting agency fed us different stories. One of my friends was told that only the bathroom was being worked on whilst another was told a different story.

The landlord has agreed to give us a month rent free at the end of the contract, but this was before we were told the work would carry on into September so we're essentially paying 2 months worth of rent for 2 weeks of being able to live in the house up until the end of September.

I was just wondering if there's anyting we can do to make the landlord hurry the work up because it feels like we're being jerked around quite a bit at the moment.

Thanks for reading!

Legally I think you would have a reasonable case for walking away from this tenancy, since the LL is clearly in breach of contract and I doubt (if he were daft enough to take you to court over it), that a judge would sympathise with him. The worst you would be liable for is his re-letting fees since the LL will be obliged to mitigate his losses if you don't move in. I doubt very much it will come to that though as he is being very dodgy asking for rent when you cannot have possession.

From what you have said it sounds that this property may not even be ready for mid Sept. and I would not trust this LL as far as I could throw him.

If however you think that you would struggle to find another house at this stage, then I suggest you tell the LL that you have no intention of paying any more rent until the month you've already paid for in advance has been used up, ie one month after you finally move in (presumably mid October). Tell him you also require a new tenancy agreement before you move in with modifed dates, ie. mid Sept 2012 to end of July 2013.

How much do you want to live in this property?
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

I believe the Landlord may have an obligation to re-house you perhaps in a Hotel until the property is habitable. You have a copy of the Tenancy Agreement? and Receipt for Rent Paid?

.. You should go see your University for assistance. Some have a department looking after issues such as these.

Comment

It's a decent property. The rent is reasonable and it's a 5 minute walk to the university so we would like to actually live in it. It's not really worth going through the hassle of finding another house when we have already paid a deposit and a months rent. But we really do need to be able to move in before the 17th September since that's when some classes begin.

It really does seem that this landlord is going to be problematic though.

Comment

Originally posted by YesAdam View Post
          I believe the Landlord may have an obligation to re-house you perhaps in a Hotel until the property is habitable. You have a copy of the Tenancy Agreement? and Receipt for Rent Paid?
          And your authority for that assertion is...?

.. You should go see your University for assistance. Some have a department looking after issues such as these.
          Yes, Student Unions do often have Accommodation officers who can help, but they are likely to be up to their eyeballs in Freshers' accommodation requests at the moment.
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by KMan1 View Post
            It's a decent property. The rent is reasonable and it's a 5 minute walk to the university so we would like to actually live in it. It's not really worth going through the hassle of finding another house when we have already paid a deposit and a months rent. But we really do need to be able to move in before the 17th September since that's when some classes begin.

It really does seem that this landlord is going to be problematic though.
            I agree with you, and would be unhappy at the prospect of spending all year with him as my LL. If he had been profusely apologetic and offered you a refund, that would be one thing. But trying to charge you for time when you don't even live there - it's pretty shabby.

Which town or city is it?

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
              Which town or city is it?
              It's Belfast.

Comment

Originally posted by KMan1 View Post
                It's Belfast.
                In that case, I'm sorry, I'm not even sure LL & T law in NI is the same as in England and Wales. I'll try to find out.

Edit!

I've had a read through this and it looks very similar to E & W law!

http://www.nihe.gov.uk/index/advice/...nts_rights.htm

Does anyone know for sure?

Comment

Similar, but not the same

I'd see if these guys can help

http://www.housingadviceni.org/advic...directory.html

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X