Tenant moved out but few jobs to do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant moved out but few jobs to do

I have had a difficult tenant just move out and they are hoping to get some of their deposit back. The main problem's are that notice wasn't served by her correctly and I've had to charge 1 months rent which they have agreed to. The property basically sat their empty as they refused to surrender the keys, as i suggested they should, with the hope of turning the proeprty around quickly. I said if i could get it let out quickly i would only charge them until that point. There were also a few jobs in the property that needed doing which i encouraged them to do but they haven't. The main problem is that if i get somebody else to do the work i can claim for it but i don't think the remaining deposit will cover it and also they will not get anything back.

If i do the work myself, as it is mainly labour, i cannot claim for it but can give them back some deposit. I don't really want to do the work myself for free as don't think this is fair. My solicitor, who is also a district judge, has previously told me that landlords cannot claim for their time and need receipts for all the work carried out if you are to charge against a deposit. Other people have disputed this and claimed landlords can claim for their time and i wonder what the current thoughts are.

I will probably pay to get some of the work done up to the value of the deposit and then end up doing the other stuff my self for free..

Thanks

Yes you can charge the going rate for your time and expertise, but you should declare the income for tax purposes. Your solicitor is wrong about this.

Also, if the cost of remedying damages exceeds the deposit, youcn sue your T for the excess - assuming you think it's worth it.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

How much deposit do you have? Is it more than the owed rent?
      Who is holding the deposit?
      What does your tenancy agreement with the tenant say about the deposit, and how it can be used?
      Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

After the arrears are taken off there is £290 left of the deposit. I hold it and use mydeposits insurance scheme. I'll have to check on tuesday what AST says about deposit. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by jackboy View Post
          My solicitor, who is also a district judge, has previously told me that landlords cannot claim for their time and need receipts for all the work carried out if you are to charge against a deposit. Other people have disputed this and claimed landlords can claim for their time and i wonder what the current thoughts are.
          I have always believed that landlords cannot charge for their time though I am unable to support the belief with any authority. I note though that Tenancy Deposit Scheme say: It is not usually supportable to claim for the landlord's time and inconvenience however a reasonable claim can be considered if proportionate and supported by comparable examples.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
            I have always believed that landlords cannot charge for their time though I am unable to support the belief with any authority. I note though that Tenancy Deposit Scheme say: It is not usually supportable to claim for the landlord's time and inconvenience however a reasonable claim can be considered if proportionate and supported by comparable examples.
            The practical problem with getting 'professionals' in to do repairs and cleaning when T vacates is that, understandably, they are rarely able to drop everything and make your property a priority. With student rentals in particular, when tenancies tend to end all at the same time (end of academic year), and LLs do not know in advance what the cleaning/repairs will involve (or even if there will be any to do at all), they cannot pre-book a cleaning company for a certain few days on the understanding that they can send them away if there's not much to do. It doesn't work like that. To keep rents low, you cannot have a prolonged void period to organise these things - the turn round is quite quick. So for practical reasons, many LLs end up doing the cleaning themselves.

I have submitted several reasonable claims to the DPS for my time when I have had to clean or re-decorate after Ts have left a mess, and even without comparable examples they have not been challenged.

However, since quotations for such work (whether the work is done or not) are apparently as acceptable to the deposit schemes as actual invoices, I cannot how how the fact that the work is done by the LL makes any difference.

Not sure what they mean by claiming for the LL's 'inconvennience'...?>
            'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

I think the point is this: when a contract is breached the main object of any of the remedies the courts can award is to restore the injured party to the position he would have been in had the contract not been broken. Accordingly, when the injured party "employs himself" in connection with making good a breach of contract the court needs to be satisfied that the opportunity is not taken to make money that what not have been made had the contract not been broken.

Comment

On the other if one spends 2 hours working to make good a breach of contract, fair compensation should therefore to give him his 2 hours back.
                Time is not free and unlimited. Actually this is the one resource you can never recover.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Part furnished
                  by Chester Perry
                  I posted elsewhere on here and feedback was a mix of its not worth it as nothing will happen (plus police will treat as a tenancy issue) and its worth doing to get a crime number.

Not going to claim on insurance given excess etc. The fridge freezers value second hand / age considered probably...
                  18-09-2020, 14:22 PM
                • Part furnished
                  by Chester Perry
                  Our property was let part furnished however upon leaving the Ex. tenant took it upon himself to relieve us of the white goods and wooden blinds.

The dishwasher, washing machine, 2 x fridge freezers and wooden blinds throughout were actually ones purchased when the property was our main...
                  18-09-2020, 13:34 PM
                • Reply to Landlord refuses to sign inventory
                  by jpkeates
                  A 15 year old washing machine has almost zero value (and will have less when you move out).
                  The landlord can only legitimately claim for their loss if you bin it.

A mid range washing machine is about £350 (and they haven't changed much in price recently), and imagining one would...
                  18-09-2020, 14:14 PM
                • Landlord refuses to sign inventory
                  by Bumblebee3000
                  We've recently rented a house that from the very start seemed badly taken care of - there were various problems like a mouldy washing machine/curtains, broken curtain rails, etc. When we arrived to meet the inventory clerk, we signed a 2-page document of handwritten inventory notes (we broadly agreed...
                  17-09-2020, 20:13 PM
                • Reply to Part furnished
                  by theartfullodger
                  Trust you've reported the thefts to police
                  18-09-2020, 14:07 PM
                • Reply to Landlord refuses to sign inventory
                  by Bumblebee3000
                  This is very helpful, MdeB, thank you. I will try to relax about the inventory now. In regards to the mould - the landlord has a letter from the curtain cleaning company stating that the mould has been "killed" during the cleaning. I actually spoke with the curtain cleaner when he was here...
                  18-09-2020, 14:07 PM
                • Reply to Deposit Negotitations with Landlord
                  by jpkeates
                  The process seems to have changed recently.
                  The landlord claims from the deposit and that claim should have a summary of what they are claiming and why.
                  You dispute that and then you both have one chance to explain your side of the story.
                  But you do that with only access to what the...
                  18-09-2020, 13:57 PM
                • Deposit Negotitations with Landlord
                  by Maymiss
                  I am moving out of my rented home shortly, i have caused some damage which I notified the landlord of when it happened and they have recently visited to discuss the cost of repairs, which we have agreed. The landlord is now asking that I pay this money to them directly. It is not possible for the work...
                  03-08-2020, 11:47 AM
                • Reply to Section 21 issued with new tenancy
                  by jpkeates
                  Every notice escalated to court is recorded and the figures published quarterly, so breaking out the s21 notices from the s8 shouldn't be complicated.

Two of the links are to House of Commons research papers, to be fair!...
                  18-09-2020, 13:51 PM
                • Section 21 issued with new tenancy
                  by fmST1
                  When a new tenant moves into a property, I get them to sign a section 21 so that if whatever reason things don’t work out, the necessary paperwork is already in place.
                  I’ve never had a need to exercise this yet, but would it work?...
                  11-09-2020, 08:43 AM
                Working...
                X