Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who is responsible?

Hi,

I`m a bit confused regarding insurance. The freeholder organises the buildings insurance. He bills me annually and I pay (although I have never seen the policy - am I entitled to ask for a copy?)

Obviously if the tenants want contents insurance then that is their responsibility, but who`s responsibility is it if the washing machine leaks causing damage to the flat below? (The washing machine is mine). Would that come under buildings insurance as plaster/walls etc has been damaged or would I need to insure the washing mashine separately? If this is the case would the insurers pay for just the machine repair or any resulting damage caused by flooding?

Many thanks
    Rachel

Damage to walls and ceilings should be covered by leaseholder's buildings insurance, which in your case sounds to be a block one taken out by the freeholder and contributed to by your LL (the LH).

The washing machine repair/replacement depends on what is specified in your tenancy contract.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Thanks MTG.

So even though the faulty (now fixed!) washing maching is mine, then the block buildings insurance would cover any damage?

Comment

Originally posted by rachel230 View Post
        Thanks MTG.

So even though the faulty (now fixed!) washing maching is mine, then the block buildings insurance would cover any damage?
        I would have thought so, yes. Your LL however may ask you to make a contribution towards it -e.g. pay the excess. Whether he can do this or not should be made clear in your contract.

Either way he is not going to be too thrilled, is he?
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

MTG,

Sorry maybe didn`t make clear - I am the LL, faulty machine now fixed, guy in the flat below said water damaged his property and wants me to fix it - that`s why I`m asking if the damage would be covered under block builing insurance even though it was my machine that caused the damage. (Actually it was the tenants leaving coins in pockets which blocked the filter - they paid for machine repair but I wouldn`t expect them to pay for potential redecorating of flat below, hence my hoping to be covered by the buildings insurance).

Comment

Originally posted by rachel230 View Post
            MTG,

Sorry maybe didn`t make clear - I am the LL, faulty machine now fixed, guy in the flat below said water damaged his property and wants me to fix it - that`s why I`m asking if the damage would be covered under block builing insurance even though it was my machine that caused the damage. (Actually it was the tenants leaving coins in pockets which blocked the filter - they paid for machine repair but I wouldn`t expect them to pay for potential redecorating of flat below, hence my hoping to be covered by the buildings insurance).
            Ah, OK! I understand. Yes, absolutely, that's what insurance is for. One of my brothers managed to bring down the ceiling of his downstair's neighbour's flat by forgetting he had left the bath to run, and the freeholders' buildings insurance paid up for that without question, so I'm guessing yours will do the same.

Comment

Thanks MTG for taking the time to reply. I feel better now!!

Rachel

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X