What can I do about my rental agent not doing its duty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What can I do about my rental agent not doing its duty?

My wife and I moved in to a rental property over 2 weeks ago to discover at check in that the house apart from carpets had not been cleaned as agreed (or so poorly that we cannot notice), A painter and decorator arrived at the property during check in saying that he was paid by the owner (the previous occupier) to paint the outside of the house, requires access through the house to paint the windows & some external doors and would take weeks to complete the work.

The rental agent gave up trying to go through the inventory as the house had obviously had not been properly cleaned so was taking too long and asked my wife to check and return the inventory within 7 days.
    None of the fixtures (showers, white goods etc.) had been checked and we contacted the agent the next working day to say that various items like the shower were broken. Then we discovered that the main fridge was not working properly when our food in the fridge went off within a couple of days.

We had a brief visit from a handyman who looked at the faults we had raised by that time but has not come back or contacted us again and the agent says they have not managed to get in contact with him.

As we see it we have been denied the right to quite enjoyment of the property from the moment we moved in and are concerned that the agent may take months to get the property to the standard that we are paying for.

Apart from naming and shaming the estate agent is there anything we can do?

Originally posted by AngryTenant View Post

As we see it we have been denied the right to quite enjoyment of the property
    This myth needs to be halted. It's getting ridiculous now.
    Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Your issues are with the LL not the agent. Agent works for LL not you, so you have little claim against them. Do you know who the LL is? If not, write to the agent, requesting the LL's name and address, which by law they have to give you within 21 days.

However, I would agree with above - you request repairs, agent sends repair man and you cry "lack of quiet enjoyment"! By the way, have you reported the faults and issues with the property to the agent in writing? If not, do so immediately, as you need a papertrail to cover yourself if this does not improve and you wish to take further action.

Comment

Do you think that this is acceptable practice?

Comment

My ref to quiet enjoyment refers to discovering at check in (with our removal men and truck outside) that a painter required access through the property for a month. The agent was aware of this but did not inform us.

I will get the owners contact details so I can complain to them about their painter demanding access to the property and to let them know that the agent did not get the property clean for them before we moved in or the garden sorted and have as yet not sorted the repairs. None of the problems with the property were mentioned in the inventory. The agent had our deposit a month before we moved in and was tasked with getting the property ready for renting as the owners moved overseas before we viewed the property.

Comment

Do you think that this is acceptable practice?
            No, but nor is it a breach of your quiet enjoyment. That is something quite different. And decorators are nice, quiet people. It's not as though they are planning to use pneumatic drills and build an extension while you're there, is it? If you don't want to be bothered by a decorator, simply say you'd rather the LL had it painted after you've gone, or while you're on holiday or whatever.

If the LL does not respond to your concerns, follow the protocol suggested by Shelter and instruct repairs/buy replacements yourself and deduct the cost from the rent. See:

http://scotland.shelter.org.uk/get_a..._accommodation
            'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Redecorating the outside of this property has resulted in carpentry work to replace rotten woodwork, removal of gutters, door thresholds and mature plants growing on trestles fixed to walls to repair and repaint woodwork including burning off the paintwork so it does look and feel and smell like a building site!

Redecorating a period 4 bed 4 reception property is a major job.

Does the agent who represents the absent landlord not have a duty to inform us about the redecorating work? They gave the painter a set of keys. We would not have rented this property if we had known.

Thanks for advising me about getting the faults fixed then reducing the rent, can I do this now or do I have to wait for a set period of time?

Comment

Thanks for advising me about getting the faults fixed then reducing the rent, can I do this now or do I have to wait for a set period of time?
                You have to follow the procedure outlined in the link below precisely.

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad..._doing_repairs

Comment

Just a point - MTGs link refers to scotland, Mrs Mug's refers to England.

And to repeat Mrs Mug's warning, you must follow the process exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
                    Just a point - MTGs link refers to scotland, Mrs Mug's refers to England.

And to repeat Mrs Mug's warning, you must follow the process exactly.
                    Apologies for that - I didn't specify the Scottish one when I googled it! Not sure how that happened.

Should be:
                    http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad...bad_conditions

or Mrs Mug's link.
                    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Redecorating the outside of this property has resulted in carpentry work to replace rotten woodwork, removal of gutters, door thresholds and mature plants growing on trestles fixed to walls to repair and repaint woodwork including burning off the paintwork so it does look and feel and smell like a building site!

Redecorating a period 4 bed 4 reception property is a major job.
                      Yes, but most of it will be outside and I disagree that it will anything like a building site. And at least it is being done and you will have a nice, smart well-maintained property to live in after a few weeks.

Does the agent who represents the absent landlord not have a duty to inform us about the redecorating work? They gave the painter a set of keys. We would not have rented this property if we had known.
                      I would imagine (being a decorator myself) that the intention was to get it done by now, but that the decorators were held up by the wettest summer on record. That's probably why they had a key already. Yes, the agents should have made it clear to you when you viewed, but tbh most tenants are delighted (rather than Angry!) that the place will be redecorated, so perhaps it didn't occur to them that you would throw yourself around in this fashion at the thought of it.

In the end, you could always refuse to let them redecorate, but it does seem perverse.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Rent Rises in 2020
                        by DPT57
                        Well if the market rent for your properties has increased and you think that there would be a good prospect of re-letting quickly and there is a low risk that your existing tenant will stop paying rent altogether then from a business point of view, it makes sense to increase the rent. Having said that,...
                        22-09-2020, 14:57 PM
                      • Rent Rises in 2020
                        by jpucng62
                        I cancelled all my annual rent increases when Covid hit. Since then some people have really suffered financially and others haven’t. In addition LHA rates have increased substantially for anyone needing support which appears to have had the knock on effect of increasing the rent of properties now...
                        19-09-2020, 17:48 PM
                        by jpucng62
                        Where I rent properties (Beds / Northants / Nottingham) rents have risen substantially and availability has fallen. So my question is still, 6 months on from everyone being told to stay at home and with normality of work returning for many tenants (I accept not all) and many people not unduly financially...
                        22-09-2020, 14:44 PM
                      • Reply to Tenants possessions left in abandoned property
                        by MR M
                        I did consider approaching a Tracing Agent to try to obtain the Tenant's current whereabouts or updated information about them but the feeling is that it is not worth initiating this yet as its too soon. They may not show-up as having set-up elsewhere yet or have generated updated information about...
                        22-09-2020, 14:10 PM
                      • Tenants possessions left in abandoned property
                        by MR M
                        The tenancy is a statutory periodic tenancy after the original AST ended. The tenant has rent arrears and a S21 was issued around 3 months ago. There is no deposit and an EPC, gas safety certificate and how to rent guide were all issued previously to the tenant.

I believe that the tenant...
                        16-09-2020, 10:03 AM
                      • Reply to Renovation/Improvements vs Repairs / Maintenance
                        by newtenant9011
                        You can prevent the landlord from entering, as you have a right to quiet enjoyment, you can even replace the locks if you would like.

In turn, the landlord could issue you a section 21 notice, but the notice period is 6 months currently plus the court backlog.
                        22-09-2020, 14:08 PM
                      • Renovation/Improvements vs Repairs / Maintenance
                        by thesleepingdog
                        Hello,

I am having A LOT of trouble with my LL who is continually asking to carry out improvements on the property. It is literally nonstop and it has got to the stage where I am utterly fed up and want to leave.

During my tenancy he has replaced all the windows in the house,...
                        22-09-2020, 13:22 PM
                        by DPT57
                        In my part of London there is no market justification for rent increases and imo increased individual landlord costs is not a reason to raise them....
                        22-09-2020, 14:07 PM
                      • Reply to Rats
                        by ChrisDennison
                        These are very interesting comments, one of my councils (South West) told me they had to stop these services unless in public areas.
                        22-09-2020, 12:35 PM
                      • Rats
                        by ETB
                        I have a tenant who has reported that he can here rats in the walls and ceiling of his 4th floor apartment. He says there are other complaints on the tenants facebook group. I have messaged the maintenance company (Name removed) but they are not replying. Just wanted to check who is liable, I'm assuming...
                        21-09-2020, 22:15 PM
                      Working...
                      X