New tenant wants a 'proper bed'..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sparkie View Post
    LOL MTG, so you're of the opinion I should get her to organise the sofa-bed be chucked out and I order her a new bed + new mattress, which she is then responsible for fitting together. Right?

Really was hoping to try the mattress topper option, to see if that will make her happy first..
    Actually, I've changed my mind about the topper. She'll probably object to that too and you will be back to square one.

So, yes, explain that this is something you're doing out of the kindness of your heart and not because you are obliged since you are not (explain why). Tell her that you are doing it on the premise that she organises the dismantling and removal* of the sofa bed (unless there is room for it in the shared lounge?). Perhaps the other Ts will help. She must also be willing to be at home to take delivery of the new one. If it's from IKEA they will bring it up to her room and even put it together, I think, if you pay them extra. Or you can insist she puts it together herself (although that isn't ideal, as if she doesn't do it properly, it could break and she'll moan again. And you'll be stuck with a broken bed to repair when she moves out - or even sooner. If bed provider won't assemble it, get a handyman to - ask her to pay? An hour's labour - £20?).

(*Tell her the local council will collect it from outside the property, for a fee - about £30. Or she can give it to charity. Or to anyone who wants it - Freecycle).
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
      Sew kittens to them?
      Kittens have needle-like claws.

Comment

Originally posted by sparkie View Post

She is a new tenant, so I do want to address her complaint and maintain good relations, but at the same time I want to make it clear what's on the table.

Your thoughts/advice?
        What's on the table is the fact that you've let a room without a proper bed, which looked like a bed but isn't a bed, it's a bit of foam split in half not meant for every day use as a bed. The tenant has a valid complaint. Buy a bed.

Comment

All together now, by a majority vote.

BUY A BED

Comment

I agree with most of the forum - buy her a bed!

If she wasn't specifically told that she would be sleeping on a sofa bed when viewing the property, I can see why she says its unacceptable. I viewed a place recently, looked great but on the way out I noticed that I couldn't see an oven. I brought this up to the agent, who confirmed that the place didn't have an oven at all - which was a deal breaker for me. If I hadn't noticed, I'd have moved into the place, I'd feel a bit cheated, and I'm sure I'd be contacting the agents saying I'd expected an oven too! By saying she can't accept this, she probably means that if she'd been aware of it, she wouldn't have taken the room.

There are things that a tenant will safely assume will be provided in a furnished property. If the bed looked like a bed when she viewed it, and she had no way of knowing otherwise (i.e. it wasn't pointed out during the viewing), then of course she would assume it was a normal bed meant for permanent use. Bit unfair on her to move in and get a sub-standard bed (I know its a very nice one, but no sofa bed is a substitute for a permanent one, otherwise they'd be a lot more common).

I know you're not legally obligated, but if she didn't have it pointed out to her before she took the room, I think it'd be mighty decent of you to get her a bed. (:

Comment

Originally posted by ram View Post
              All together now, by a majority vote.

BUY A BED
              Ram, I have come to the conclusion that you are going soft in your old age.

Your posts are normally much crustier and more cynical than this!
              'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

sparkie, make sure you come back and tell us the outcome of this megathread!

I feel I know this Swiss girl personally by now.

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                  Ram, I have come to the conclusion that you are going soft
                  in your old age.

Your posts are normally much crustier and more cynical than this!
                  I do apologise for the lack of entertainment value I bring
                  to the forum, but I sometimes don't have time to be crustier
                  and more cynical.

But as with some posts, some only have one right answer, and
                  this is one of them, but others were on my side after my No. 3
                  post, so no need to be "My normal self", in this instance.

You will notice my "about me" states :-

Biography:Often puts different slant on the problem. ( it works )

R.a.M.

Comment

I do apologise for the lack of entertainment value I bring
                    to the forum, but I sometimes don't have time to be crustier
                    and more cynical.
                    Don't apologise. I prefer non-crusty!

Comment

So what happens when the bed is in, and there's no room for a sofa?

Shooting stick?

<:

ML
                      Refer Mad Regulators to Arkell vs Pressdram.

Comment

Originally posted by midlandslandlord View Post
                        So what happens when the bed is in, and there's no room for a sofa?

Shooting stick?
                        Hey, that's my job to be sarcastic !

But how about http://www.sleeplandbeds.co.uk/futon-bunk-bed

Couch on bottom, bed on top if space is limited.

Although Swiss girl may want a double bed, maybe timber panelling
                        to remind her of the picture postcard swiss chalet, and a sauna in
                        the corner, with strapping blond male "for occational use" to keep
                        the hot rocks coming.

R.a.M.

Comment

Hey, that's my job to be sarcastic !

But how about http://www.sleeplandbeds.co.uk/futon-bunk-bed

Couch on bottom, bed on top if space is limited.

Although Swiss girl may want a double bed, maybe timber panelling
                          to remind her of the picture postcard swiss chalet, and a sauna in
                          the corner, with strapping blond male "for occational use" to keep
                          the hot rocks coming.

R.a.M.
                          Saunas are Sweden, dear Ram. So are blonds.

Switzerland is cuckoo clocks, chocolate bars, billions in secret bank accounts, and tax exile pop stars/footballers on Zimmer Frames desperately trying to pass themselves off as proletariat rather than ubercapitalists in search of being fashionable (hello, Bob).

JRR Toolkit seemed to have a thing about Sweden, given that the Elves in his film were all like the Abba blonde and the men were all like hairy Vikings. All Aragorn needed was a Viking hat and a bar of soap to be tortured with.

In my experience footballers are the most money-grubbing of the lot.

ML
                          Refer Mad Regulators to Arkell vs Pressdram.

Comment

Midlandslandlord - I've had a sauna in Switzerland and had a chocolate bar in Sweden, so not everything is as simple as it seems.

However, back on track, I'd also go with the general theme here of encouraging the OP to buy a bed. At least with a Swiss tenant, you know the rent will be paid like clockwork and she'll know a good tax loophole for the income.
                            I may be a housing professional but my views, thoughts, opinions, advice, criticisms or otherwise on this board are mine and are not representative of my company, colleagues, managers. I am here as an independent human being who simply wants to learn new stuff, share ideas and interact with like minded people.

Comment

Apologies for my long absence. I was in a coma for all these months laid up in hospital after being brutally attacked by R.a.M. But I came out of it finally, but still emotionally scarred for life.

UPDATE:

So yes, I bought her a brand spanking new double bed, with sparkling new mattress topped off with a new mattress protector to boot. The sofabed was dealt with by the tenant. She probably sold it for a few hundred pounds for all I know. But as agreed, she did put the bed frame together etc and is now a happy camper.

Special thanks to MTG for all the good suggestions

Comment

You are more than welcome!

Glad it all worked out well. I bet she's pleased with her new bed.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                                X