New tenant wants a 'proper bed'..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is only one way to respond to this. Say to the tenant: "Fancy not being able to sleep on a Muji sofa bed - that's just so lower middle class." You will not hear from here again.

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
      OK. Offer her a deal whereby you order and pay for (online) a new bed (which you are not obliged to do) and in return she arranges for someone (a charity? the council? a mate? herself?) to dismantle and collect the old one (St Vincent de Paul collect furniture I think although perhaps not old sofa beds), and to arrange delivery and 'mantling' of the new one.
      Great idea MTG. I could ask her to buy a bed of her choosing with a budget maximum, but she could buy something hideous. So yes, I agree, I could buy a bed similar to the one on first floor rear bedroom where its a double but not oversize so its not too big for the loft. I can order with IKEA online and pay for the delivery charges £30 I think. She'll have to be home to make sure its delivered on the day. Making her do some of the leg work is perfect for me. Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
        There is only one way to respond to this. Say to the tenant: "Fancy not being able to sleep on a Muji sofa bed - that's just so lower middle class." You will not hear from here again.
        LOL. Somehow I don't think that will appease her in the slightest!

Comment

Ha, I agree.

But if you do buy her a new one, don't let her choose it and be sure to lay the law down about using a mattress cover/protector, as otherwise it will be shabby by the end of the first year.

Our tenants must think I'm a real pain over this, as I not only provide one and give them a lecture about it at when they move in, but make a point of checking they are being used whenever I do an inspection. It's no guarantee of course, but tell them how unhygienic it is not to use one and how much it costs to have mattresses steam cleaned these days...it has worked so far for me.
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

I provide them with mattress protectors too. 100% agree they must use them.

Could you cut and paste your 'lecture'? I think I might incorporate into my terms.. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by sparkie View Post
              I provide them with mattress protectors too. 100% agree they must use them.

Could you cut and paste your 'lecture'? I think I might incorporate into my terms.. Thanks
              Oooh, no, you'd laugh. It starts off like something from Dad's Army and ends up as an incoherent, gibbering rant. For reasons I haven't yet worked out (as I could simply charge them to replace it if it broke), I am equally censorious and grumpy about the need to clean the filter on the tumble dryer, too. I sound like Kim and Aggie and Mary Popppins all rolled into one.

They generally humour me, make me a cup of tea then bundle me back into my car again.
              'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

I am equally censorious and grumpy about the need to clean the filter on the tumble dryer, too.
                Has this *ever* happened in the history of tenants and tumble dryers, that a tenant has cleaned the filter of the tumble dryer?

Comment

Oooh, no, you'd laugh. It starts off like something from Dad's Army and ends up as an incoherent, gibbering rant. For reasons I haven't yet worked out (as I could simply charge them to replace it if it broke), I am equally censorious and grumpy about the need to clean the filter on the tumble dryer, too. I sound like Kim and Aggie and Mary Popppins all rolled into one.

They generally humour me, make me a cup of tea then bundle me back into my car again.
                  LOL ok. I have emailed her to ask what exactly are her concerns about the bed. Will await her response..

Originally posted by westminster View Post
                  Has this *ever* happened in the history of tenants and tumble dryers, that a tenant has cleaned the filter of the tumble dryer?
                  Straight tenants - probably never ever. Gay tenants, well.. possibly..

Comment

Ha, I agree.

But if you do buy her a new one, don't let her choose it and be sure to lay the law down about using a mattress cover/protector, as otherwise it will be shabby by the end of the first year.

Our tenants must think I'm a real pain over this, as I not only provide one and give them a lecture about it at when they move in, but make a point of checking they are being used whenever I do an inspection. It's no guarantee of course, but tell them how unhygienic it is not to use one and how much it costs to have mattresses steam cleaned these days...it has worked so far for me.
                    Gently note that the new mattress will be subject to deposit deduction if damaged...

Though I must say that foam only having a 5 year life seems strange; it must depend on the type of foam you choose, but then I like hard beds and resilient foam. I'm sure that I had a single piece of foam from 5 to 18.

(queue lecture from MTG about bugs in foam if the foam is more than 15 years old ... :-)

ML
                    Refer Mad Regulators to Arkell vs Pressdram.

Comment

Originally posted by midlandslandlord View Post
                      (queue lecture from MTG about bugs in foam if the foam is more than 15 years old ... :-)

ML
                      Haven't a clue! (Or a cue/queue, for that matter). Personally, if I were a bedbug and were offered the choice, I would rather live in a nice sweaty straw mattress than anything else. Sponge/foam would be a bit boring, don't you think? Although I suppose the interior of a sprung mattresses would be like one giant adventure playground for bugs.

I'm itching now!

Comment

Originally posted by sparkie View Post
                        Gay tenants, well.. possibly..
                        This gay tenant cleaned the filter. It was my dryer and there was no room for it when I moved to another flat. I miss it because I just cannot get my towels fluffy.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
                          I miss it because I just cannot get my towels fluffy.
                          Sew kittens to them?

Comment

Update:

I emailed her asking:

Could you clarify exactly what are your concerns about the bed?

Her reply:

To be honest I don't feel it's very comfortable as it has a split mattress. I was expecting a normal double bed. Unfortunately I can't accept this. Otherwise I am very happy, its a lovely house and the girls a very nice too. Wardrobes are sorted. I would appreciate if you could organise a proper bed.

Not sure about her sentence, Unfortunately I can't accept this

I don't think she understands she's not really in a position to demand anything. Almost inferring that if a new bed isn't purchased she may with-hold rent payments? I'm sure that's not her intention. At least I hope it's not.

She is Swiss, so maybe its her interpretation of English, a bit like German where they have very few words to communicate compared to English which is a very rich language.

So she hasn't stated the mattress has sunk-in or faulty. I'm really tempted to,

a). say to her I'm not obliged to do anything, so she understands her position and refer her to the AST which states all furnishings etc. are taken on by the tenant “as is” and No demands or liability shall be placed on the landlord/agent for their renewal or change. (Unless at the landlord/agent’s sole discretion.)

b). then mention on this occasion I am prepared to pay for a mattress topper or full height mattress which she can position over the sofa-bed so she will not feel the split mattress.

What do you think?

She could turn around and say its not acceptable based on her previous tone/attitude. So I really want to circumvent this. Any ideas what I can add to my reply to her to make her understand that she's not in any position to make demands.

I will remind her of course that previous tenants have never had any issues or complaints.

She is a new tenant, so I do want to address her complaint and maintain good relations, but at the same time I want to make it clear what's on the table.

Your thoughts/advice?

Comment

I think that you give her the benefit of the doubt as far as the phrase 'I can't accept this' is concerned. 'For all you know it could be the nearest translation she can come up with for 'I'm not happy about this' or 'I can't sleep on this [bed]' or 'I can't bear this [bed]' And she does say she would appreciate it if you organised a proper bed.

She seems keen to placate you otherwise and you don't want the hassle of her moving out and disappearing mid tenancy...so I would stick with our cunning plan, Baldrick.

Buy the girl a bed!

Comment

LOL MTG, so you're of the opinion I should get her to organise the sofa-bed be chucked out and I order her a new bed + new mattress, which she is then responsible for fitting together. Right?

Really was hoping to try the mattress topper option, to see if that will make her happy first..

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                                X