Removing a named tenant from an agreement/adding a new one - newbie landlord!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing a named tenant from an agreement/adding a new one - newbie landlord!

Hello

First of all, thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this and I hope I make sense.

I have a property that we rent out and is now on a rolling contract (monthly) which I'm happy with as the tenants don't want to move out - the main two - whereas two of the other tenants are moving out. It's not a joint Multiple Occupancy house, it's just named tenants on the lease and they split the total monthly rent how they see fit between the rooms. I don't care, I'm happy I get the rent each month, from one person's account, and the rest is up to them.

One tenant gave notice post-lease period, which is fine, but someone else wants to move in.

Another tenant is also leaving and another tenant is lined up to move in.

Would it be prudent to draw up another lease agreement (min. 6 months) and have them all re-sign? I think that this would mean I'd have to return their deposits from the deposit scheme and then re-start it again?

I was also wondering what the implications are if only the main couple have their name on the lease for rental and then it was up to them who takes the other two rooms?

Sorry for such rubbish questions, I know I sound like a total airhead on this one, but I've looked up all the legal terms and contracts and..and..and.. and I just can't see where a problem would lie in signing off one person from the current contract, putting an addendum in with the names of the two new tenants, and keeping it as a rolling monthly contract? The tenants are amenable to any option and I just want to keep it simple as possible for all involved.

Thanks for your help and again, apologies for being dumb.

Originally posted by NewbieLandlady View Post
    It's not a joint Multiple Occupancy house, it's just named tenants on the lease and they split the total monthly rent how they see fit between the rooms. I don't care, I'm happy I get the rent each month, from one person's account, and the rest is up to them.
    It sounds very much as though it is a joint tenancy.

Did all the Ts sign individual agreements for their particular rooms, or are all four named on one tenancy contract?

Until we know that, we can't really help.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

If they are all on the same contract, then a deed of assignment would keep the existing periodic tenancy ongoing and (providing the deposit lead tenant wasn't leaving) not require any action with regard to the deposit.

In effect, the document transfers the current tenancy from "A, B, C & D" to "A, B, E & F".

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
        It sounds very much as though it is a joint tenancy.

Did all the Ts sign individual agreements for their particular rooms, or are all four named on one tenancy contract?

Until we know that, we can't really help.
        All 4 are on the one tenancy agreement, it's not individual rooms. Thanks for answering so quickly!

If they are all on the same contract, then a deed of assignment would keep the existing periodic tenancy ongoing and (providing the deposit lead tenant wasn't leaving) not require any action with regard to the deposit.

In effect, the document transfers the current tenancy from "A, B, C & D" to "A, B, E & F".

Perfect - thank you!

Comment

Thank you both for such fast responses - obviously I don't have enough posts to view signatures and links but I now know the correct document I need.

Brilliant! I'm very, very grateful for your help

(and been pottering around the site, tenantVERIFY etc. all is coming in very handy indeed...WHY didn't I join sooner?)

Comment

You're welcome!
            'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

I have a property that we rent out and is now on a rolling contract (monthly) which I'm happy with as the tenants don't want to move out - the main two - whereas two of the other tenants are moving out. It's not a joint Multiple Occupancy house, it's just named tenants on the lease and they split the total monthly rent how they see fit between the rooms. I don't care, I'm happy I get the rent each month, from one person's account, and the rest is up to them.

One tenant gave notice post-lease period, which is fine, but someone else wants to move in.

Another tenant is also leaving and another tenant is lined up to move in.
              If you mean that a tenant has given written notice to quit, and gave it after the fixed term expired, then his notice ends the whole joint tenancy at notice expiry. Of course, you'd then be free to grant a new joint tenancy to whoever you like, but it would be a brand new tenancy, and require the deposit to be refunded/repaid/reprotected.

Comment

Ah. Well, fortunately the tenants are being understanding as one has moved out and we're re-signing a new joint tenancy at the end of the current monthly notice period. It's all so complicated - and annoying! I wish I'd just done all the research prior to saying "yup, one can move out" as everyone was happy with that.

Next time I know better! I don't get why the deposit needs to be refunded/repaid/reprotected when it's the same lead tenant and I could give the deposit money from new tenants who are wanting to move in directly to the old ones that are moving out but hey-ho!

Thanks again. It'll be all sorted VERY soon.

Comment

I don't get why the deposit needs to be refunded/repaid/reprotected when it's the same lead tenant and I could give the deposit money from new tenants who are wanting to move in directly to the old ones that are moving out but hey-ho!
                  It needs to be refunded etc, because the new tenancy will be a brand new tenancy, with a different tenant and absolutely no connection to the current tenancy. The joint tenant Tom+Dick+Harry is, legally, a different tenant to Tom+Dick+Jane, (as different as Rachel+Sophie+Maria).

The deposit is currently held against Tom+Dick+Harry's tenancy. When that tenancy ends they are entitled to a refund of their deposit. If you grant a new tenancy to Tom+Dick+Jane, then they pay a new deposit in respect of a new tenancy, and the deposit must be protected.

Never, ever, tell a new tenant to pay their deposit to an outgoing tenant. It's a recipe for confusion and disaster. Tenants pay deposits to landlords, not to tenants.

Comment

Others will correct, but I think you should check the HMO / Landlord licensing status of the area.

If your Local Council has Selective / Additional Licensing in place in that area then 4 non-related tenants may make it Licensable.

If that is the case, it is very important to apply for one.

While I'm at it, the Deposits are protected in an approved scheme, and the Prescribed Information has been served, hasn't it?

ML
                    Refer Mad Regulators to Arkell vs Pressdram.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Part furnished
                      by jpucng62
                      Hope you held on to the deposit
                      18-09-2020, 14:45 PM
                    • Part furnished
                      by Chester Perry
                      Our property was let part furnished however upon leaving the Ex. tenant took it upon himself to relieve us of the white goods and wooden blinds.

The dishwasher, washing machine, 2 x fridge freezers and wooden blinds throughout were actually ones purchased when the property was our main...
                      18-09-2020, 13:34 PM
                      by Chester Perry
                      I posted elsewhere on here and feedback was a mix of its not worth it as nothing will happen (plus police will treat as a tenancy issue) and its worth doing to get a crime number.

Not going to claim on insurance given excess etc. The fridge freezers value second hand / age considered probably...
                      18-09-2020, 14:22 PM
                    • Reply to Landlord refuses to sign inventory
                      by jpkeates
                      A 15 year old washing machine has almost zero value (and will have less when you move out).
                      The landlord can only legitimately claim for their loss if you bin it.

A mid range washing machine is about £350 (and they haven't changed much in price recently), and imagining one would...
                      18-09-2020, 14:14 PM
                    • Landlord refuses to sign inventory
                      by Bumblebee3000
                      We've recently rented a house that from the very start seemed badly taken care of - there were various problems like a mouldy washing machine/curtains, broken curtain rails, etc. When we arrived to meet the inventory clerk, we signed a 2-page document of handwritten inventory notes (we broadly agreed...
                      17-09-2020, 20:13 PM
                      by theartfullodger
                      Trust you've reported the thefts to police
                      18-09-2020, 14:07 PM
                    • Reply to Landlord refuses to sign inventory
                      by Bumblebee3000
                      This is very helpful, MdeB, thank you. I will try to relax about the inventory now. In regards to the mould - the landlord has a letter from the curtain cleaning company stating that the mould has been "killed" during the cleaning. I actually spoke with the curtain cleaner when he was here...
                      18-09-2020, 14:07 PM
                    • Reply to Deposit Negotitations with Landlord
                      by jpkeates
                      The process seems to have changed recently.
                      The landlord claims from the deposit and that claim should have a summary of what they are claiming and why.
                      You dispute that and then you both have one chance to explain your side of the story.
                      But you do that with only access to what the...
                      18-09-2020, 13:57 PM
                    • Deposit Negotitations with Landlord
                      by Maymiss
                      I am moving out of my rented home shortly, i have caused some damage which I notified the landlord of when it happened and they have recently visited to discuss the cost of repairs, which we have agreed. The landlord is now asking that I pay this money to them directly. It is not possible for the work...
                      03-08-2020, 11:47 AM
                    • Reply to Section 21 issued with new tenancy
                      by jpkeates
                      Every notice escalated to court is recorded and the figures published quarterly, so breaking out the s21 notices from the s8 shouldn't be complicated.

Two of the links are to House of Commons research papers, to be fair!...
                      18-09-2020, 13:51 PM
                    Working...
                    X