Intention to renew tenancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intention to renew tenancy

We have been living in our flat for almost 7 years. Our current tenancy ends in soon, but we have had written confirmation from our landlord that they are willing to renew the tenancy for a further 12 months.

Our letting agent is due to send us the new contracts to be signed in the next few weeks.

Is there any way the landlord can change their mind about renewing? Is written confirmation of intention to renew legally binding?

I have heard that the landlord is looking to sell, although there has been no indication that they want us to leave. Just want to know where we stand until the contract is in my hand.

Just to add as well, that we rent from someone that sublets the building, they don't own it. It is the landlord that owns the building that is potentially looking to sell, not the person we rent from. The person we rent from has given us the intention to renew, I'm assuming they have a long term lease with the landlord.

Thanks

Your 'renewal' isn't guaranteed, but at the end of the current tenancy, the law gives you a periodic tenancy. Although that means your landlord could evict you if he chose to, he'd still have to give you loads of notice - 2 months at least, but easily 5 months from notice to bailiffs.

Your tenancy is distinct from the tenancy your landlord has with his landlord (freeholder).

If the freeholder changes, and he evicts your landlord, then providing your landlord has sub-let with permission you will become the freeholders tenant, still with a valid periodic tenancy. If your landlord does not have permission, then a court order would still be needed to remove you, but you'd be much less secure.

Of course, a buyer of the freehold of a block of flats is almost certainly going to be buying to benefit from the ground rent etc that the leaseholders (your landlord) pay, and it is highly unlikely that the lease your landlord holds would allow arbitary termination by a new freeholder.

Comment

It comes down to the words used. Simply expressing an intention is not enough. For there to be a contract there needs to be an offer and acceptance.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X