Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snorkerz
    replied
    Another alternative to MTG's suggestion to pay for repairs and deduct from rent. . . particually if the cost of repairs is excessive and you simply haven't got that kind of cash spare . . .

Contact the environmental health officer at your local council, they have power in some circumstances to arrane repairs whether the landlord likes it or not.

Quick reality check though - both options may well result in landlord evicting at the earliest opportunity.

Leave a comment:

• lesleyann
    replied
    Im going to wait and see if the first promises get met, as past ones have not been, If I have no updates on days/times by Friday due to their failure to do work again as promised I will tell them that. Yeah the landlord owns more than my property so is not short on cash due to the fact most of his properties look unlooked after and he charges enough.

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by lesleyann View Post
    Thanks, oddly within a few moments of this being posted I had a phone call from the agent arranging for certain parts to be fixed next week and asking if we could stagger the repairs as, as we all know everyone only has a limited fund although she told the landlord that, that is not our fault and we pay for a service so expect things to be fixed. Hello Agent if your on here...
    Oh, your heart bleeds, doesn't it. Tell them the landlord is receiving x thousands of pounds a year from you and you have no sympathy. His financial woes are not of your making and unless he makes arrangements for all the repairs to be done in the next fortnight, you will be getting them done yourself and deducting from rent as per the Shelter protocol. You hve waited long enough.

The letting agent for my son's student house told them that the reason the long list of repairs (including pest comtrol) wasn't being dealt with as quickly as they would like was because everyone in the letting agents was on holiday and they had lots of properties to manage, not just his! I don't think his reply was printable...

Leave a comment:

• lesleyann
    replied
    Thanks, oddly within a few moments of this being posted I had a phone call from the agent arranging for certain parts to be fixed next week and asking if we could stagger the repairs as, as we all know everyone only has a limited fund although she told the landlord that, that is not our fault and we pay for a service so expect things to be fixed. Hello Agent if your on here...

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    The Housing Act 1985 section 11 makes it a LL's statutory obligation to keep in good repair the structure of the building (so that would cover windows, doors, roof, walls, etc) and installations for the supply of electricity and gas.

Everything else is contractual, if it's anything.

If you have followed the correct protocol (see link to Shelter website below), you can instruct the repairs yourself and deduct cost from the rent.

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad..._to_do_repairs

Leave a comment:

• lesleyann
    started a topic Repairs...

Repairs...

Well we moved into this property in November last year within 2weeks we had an A4 page full of repairs to be done, Some where done by January however we are still waiting for some and the list is growing again.. A few examples

Floorboard in bedroom completely broken needs replacing which will involve taking up the carpet.. Reported November still waiting

Garden fence broken.. Reported in November part fixed part left broken, also since then other tenant next door(same landlord and agency)has broken more of the fence reported still unfixed..

Downstairs bathroom (some issues fixed but this is whats left) STINKS! Has done since the day we moved in no amount of cleaner or bleach will shift it, carpet ripped up and out (we took it out as was stinking up the whole house and told agent we removed it) as it was so badly stained and was not helping the smell.. Contractor who has looked at it believes was a leak at some point no heating means it has not dried out and the smell is stuck in the wooden boxing around the pipes.. No more done about it..

Widows.. Cannot unlock or lock them so they sent a lock pick and asked me which ones I want open.. Did that however said as I have two young children I cannot have their bedroom big windows unlocked and any they can reach on ground floor but was told handles will be replaced.. Still waiting BIG fire hazard as if we are upstairs we cannot get out.. Reported November

Backdoor Leaks and door handle falling off.. Reported November nothing done..

Frontdoor has had 4 repairs on it due to the fact its knackered, contractor who keeps coming out sends request for new door otherwise it will just keep breaking.. Reported Feb I believe.. Nothing done..

Problem with fridge freezer provided by landlord, now needs to come out and be completely defrosted (built in unit no idea where plug is) freezer section unusable until full defrost and fix.. Still waiting reported last month..

Leak under the sink on the sewage pipe (the main down pipe its inside) can see where it has been leaking.. Reported man came and looked almost a week later still no idea if it will be fixed..

Fuse on the main board needs replacing as it can not handle running 3 things at one time in the kitchen/massive kitchen cupboard... 2weeks and waiting

Tile behind the sink upstairs missing leaving a whole straight into the wall (You can put your hand though the wall due to the hole) Reported November, told new tile would be added.. Still waiting..

Damage caused by repairs.. not fixed... Kitchen has two holes to get to wires to fix the hole the plaster board which was removed simply screwed back on but nothing to remedy the fact you can clearly see where they have removed them (wall is wall papered), Again due to the kitchen electrics floorboards in mater bedroom needed to be pulled up.. Rather than pull up the carpet and relay they simply cut the carpet midway though the room to pull it back then dropped it back down, it is not secured back to the floor so is a tripping hazard..

Not been given the prescribed info on deposit.. I know where it is only due to the fact the contract states will be protected with DPS however nothing from them to show it is there (I checked I know it is)

Asked for landlords direct address rather than agents address denied! On the fact that landlord will just tell them anyway so not to bother.. Asked 2weeks ago..

Asked for complaints procedure Denied! Was told rather than giving me the info so I know exactly what to do just had message passed on to the person who deals with complaints so still no idea where I stand..

Agents must make some good money though considering all emails and texts come from Iphones and Ipads! Yet can take days to get a simple email responce!

Bit of a rant really but are there any laws/acts which can help me get this shoddy at best agent to pull their fingers out their backsides and get some bloody work done!!

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X