Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extension of tenancy that was previously with agent

Hi board,

My tenant is coming to the end of his tenancy (completes in 1mth, this is the first time I have been a landlord). He was sourced through an agent and wishes to extend directly through me (which I am happy with as it saves both of us fees).

The tenant is initially intending to extend for a further 3 mths. I need some advise of how to proceed.

Do I need to raise a fresh contract for the 3mths?

The agent arranged the deposit & also the inventory... Whats the best way to handle the deposit side of things (i.e should this be returned to tenant, then send back to me under a scheme I set up, or transferred directly to a new scheme I set up or something different?).

Is there anything else I need to be aware of that I haven't thought of with regards to the tenant wanting to extend for only a short period of time?

Many thanks in advance for the advise

If you grant your T a further fixed term AST the agent will almost certainly (unless he is a charity - unlikely - or a dimwit - possible, but rare where fees are concerned)) be after you for continuation fees. He will argue that because he found you the tenant, you owe him for any repeat tenancy agreements.

The best option is to allow the tenancy to roll over into a Statutory Periodic one, for which no new contract is required (all the T & C of the old fixed term one will apply, except for notice periods).

That way the agent cannot screw you (and probably the T as well), for more money.

The deposit can stay where it is until the T eventually leaves.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Mould
      by MdeB
      I think orange and black are different things, not different stages of the same thing....
      18-01-2021, 23:29 PM
    • Mould
      by aspirin
      Does anybody know if the mould killer sprays are a health risk?

My tenant is witholding rent and in my opinion trying to frustrate my attempts at repair. He is looking to be put in a hotel but there's probably a good chance he will be too sick to go to a hotel when the time comes.
      14-01-2021, 08:17 AM
    • Reply to Transferring PO to the High Court
      by Perce
      Nreid-

I have copied the sentence below :

“Court permission is no longer required to transfer your order to the High Court for enforcement by a High Court Enforcement”.

I have already applied for transfer up to HCEO. Just waiting now. Never...
      18-01-2021, 23:05 PM
    • Transferring PO to the High Court
      by Perce
      I have applied to transfer possession order to the High Court for enforcement. How long does it take ? 2 - 3 weeks ? Also do they notify a tenant ?...
      17-01-2021, 10:15 AM
    • Reply to '' Breathing Space '' - Spring Time 2021.
      by Ted.E.Bear
      it is while people are having emergency treatment for serious problems, not just any "mental health issues".
      There are also procedures to get it cancelled if it is unfair or if the debtor could afford to pay....
      18-01-2021, 21:50 PM
    • '' Breathing Space '' - Spring Time 2021.
      by Hudson01
      https://www.nrla.org.uk/news-breathi...reak-from-debt

Not too sure if this has been posted before but i have not see it........ should be interesting.

This little bit worried me ............'' the Breathing Space ends 30 days after the tenant’s treatment ends.''
      16-01-2021, 10:12 AM
    • Reply to Transferring PO to the High Court
      by nreid
      Perce, are you quite sure that you don’t need permission? I had a successful hearing about this in Jan. It was s8 so could evict now but need to certify the six months arrears. HCEO are private companies who are raring to go and will sort the high Court paperwork for you as part of the package....
      18-01-2021, 21:43 PM
    • Reply to Court review
      by ddq
      Hi all, can you give mesome more insight please. If I don't need HCEO, I don't need any writ of control, do I? The solicitors don't have to waste time and money on it at all, so should refund me the total fee for that line item HCEO, or is there any work they have to do in relation to that? I just wanted...
      18-01-2021, 20:14 PM
    • Court review
      by OS7
      Hi,
      My possession claim is up for review today. I thought “ finally” . It was marked on review documentation to be at 12:00 05/11. I received no calls from anyone as yet. Could someone who has undergone review, please let me know if I have to make the call. I am worried that no one...
      05-11-2020, 15:15 PM
    • Reply to '' Breathing Space '' - Spring Time 2021.
      by Hudson01
      I can see what jpkeats is saying, and when you read into it, it does state who can determine if the tenant will be protected by that particular clause in the legislation but as with all these things they start off stern but often slide and more people than ever imagined come under the umbrella....
      18-01-2021, 18:20 PM
    Working...
    X