X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
    I dont believe this but I have just checked my agreement (a friend had given it me) and it has the clause Notice by tenant - At any time after the expiry of the fixed term granted by this agreement the tenant can terminate the tenancy by giving the landlord one months notice in writing.

So does that mean I have to wait another month before i can change the locks??or am I still ok to go in
    It is the standard term relating to notice by T in a SPT. I can only think that applies if and only if the T is still in residence at expiry of fixed term and a statutory periodc tenancy arises, as wm explains above. If he ends the tenancy (as yours has) by vacating at the end, there is no tenancy to give notice about, so it's inapplicable here.

I wouldn't worry.

Leave a comment:

• hedgehog
    replied
    I dont believe this but I have just checked my agreement (a friend had given it me) and it has the clause Notice by tenant - At any time after the expiry of the fixed term granted by this agreement the tenant can terminate the tenancy by giving the landlord one months notice in writing.

So does that mean I have to wait another month before i can change the locks??or am I still ok to go in

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Yes deposit protected with dps. To be quite honest Id do a deal with them if they gave back keys ie only try and claim 2 weeks rent. Just want the keys back and nothing to do with them..
    Don't let your distaste for these Ts skew your financial judgement. If you need to claim for more than just the 2 wks rent, do so.

Did they leave the place as clean as it was when they checked in? If not, claim for a cleaner.

Have they done any damage? Claim for that (assuming you have proof e.g. inventory).

How much was the deposit and how much in rent do they owe?

Leave a comment:

• westminster
    replied
    Sorry to ask (as I should know) but is a statuatory periodic tenancy where it has gone into 'rollover' and is lasting month by month?
    Yes, it arises automatically, under s.5 Housing Act 1988, if an AST tenant is in occupation at fixed term expiry (and no renewal contract has been agreed). It replaces the expired fixed term tenancy.

That is why, if the T has vacated, his tenancy will end at fixed term expiry, because a statutory periodic tenancy will not arise.

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Sorry to ask (as I should know) but is a statuatory periodic tenancy where it has gone into 'rollover' and is lasting month by month?
    Yes, it is.

Leave a comment:

• hedgehog
    replied
    Yes deposit protected with dps. To be quite honest Id do a deal with them if they gave back keys ie only try and claim 2 weeks rent. Just want the keys back and nothing to do with them.. Should always trust first impressions and I slipped up this time!

Leave a comment:

• hedgehog
    replied

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Well I know they are not going to write to me, thats for sure. I am happy to wait until the 23rd but didnt know legally how I stood if I arranged for a locksmith to turn up on that date when I had not had
    Yes the bond is with dps.
    I think it will be in order to change the locks on that date. It would have been different if it were a statutory periodic tenancy, but it wasn't. All the evidence (oral notice, property empty, Ts uncontactable), points to the Ts exercising their right to leave without formal notice by the end of the fixed term. When you say they gave their notice 'verbally'; do you mean face to face, by phone or what?

They are liable for rent up to the end of the fixed term, needless to say, regardless of whether they have moved out before that.

Leave a comment:

• westminster
    replied
    The 6 month agreement started on 23rd feb 2012, so I sent a letter saying that 22nd august would be their last date. They probably moved out 3 weeks or so ago but the keys were never offered back.
    If they have permanently vacated, then the tenancy will legally end at midnight of 22nd August. If you don't get the keys back, T is liable for the cost of replacing the lock.

They did not pay their last months rent.
    Did they pay a deposit? If so, is it protected?

Leave a comment:

• hedgehog
    replied
    Well I know they are not going to write to me, thats for sure. I am happy to wait until the 23rd but didnt know legally how I stood if I arranged for a locksmith to turn up on that date when I had not had
    Yes the bond is with dps.

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    The fact that they have not paid the rent for this month is immaterial.

Until you have it in writing from them that they have moved out and you have accepted this early surrender with no further rent liability on their part, or until 23r August (i.e. day after fixed term ends), which ever is sooner, you have to assume that the tenancy continues.

Now, tenants may end a tenancy without notice if they choose to do so, by vacating on or before the last day of the fixed term.

If there is still no sign of them on 23rd August, despite your attempts to contact them, I think you would be safe to assume that's what they've done, to regain possession, and claim unpaid rent plaus any damages from their deposit - which presumably is protected?

Leave a comment:

• hedgehog
    replied
    Sorry forgot to say that no they didnt give me a written termination just rang up shouting that they dont get on with neighbours and that they were going. That is when I said you will be liable for rent unless I can get someone else in (which I havent). Looking back they have always stayed in houses for 6 months but did seem to have valid excuses for leaving and they did have good refs from last house. They have also had prepayment meters fitted to the property without permission but just want the keys back before I discuss anything else with them

Leave a comment:

• hedgehog
    replied
    The 6 month agreement started on 23rd feb 2012, so I sent a letter saying that 22nd august would be their last date. They probably moved out 3 weeks or so ago but the keys were never offered back. I have texted and wrote saying I would pick them up from their new address (they have moved in with relatives) or can they meet me but he just wont answer. They did not pay their last months rent.

Leave a comment:

• westminster
    replied
    What date did or does the fixed term end?

Leave a comment:

• thesaint
    replied
    So you have no proof that they gave notice.

Have they paid a deposit?
    Have you tried calling from another number, preferably a landline?

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Ex-Landlord won’t budge on deposit deductions
    by jpkeates
    I think I agree with you.
    It depends where the property is, though, because decorating costs vary around the country....
    01-10-2020, 12:59 PM
  • Ex-Landlord won’t budge on deposit deductions
    by Bellaby
    Hi me and my friend where co-tenants in a 2 bed flat for the past 15 months. The flat was fine and the landlord was ok, a little rude once to my friend who is Polish and it took him 3 months to complete a simple toilet repair but other than that he was fine.
    On checking out we hired a professional...
    01-10-2020, 10:45 AM
  • Reply to Tenant in Prison
    by hybrice
    I think you're referring to Section 8 Ground 14, which is discretionary and not where I'd hang my argument. Better to go in on arrears as it's a mandatory ground, obviously also cite ground 14 into the mix to make it more convincing, assuming you have proof that is the case - if you don't, it would...
    01-10-2020, 12:49 PM
  • Tenant in Prison
    by Smileypjd
    Hello
    Could I ask people their opinion on a predicament we find ourselves in.

Background.
    I started taking care of a small portfolio of lettings on behalf of my father. They are all within a courtyard setting on his farm.
    Arranging tenants and collecting rent is taken...
    30-09-2020, 09:09 AM
    by Bellaby
    I mean I offered to pay him £100 for the wall and £60 for the other bits. Also my contract hadn’t actually finished when I went to do the last few bits it finished the day after, we just moved out early to allow time for everything. I think £160 for a toilet seat 3 bulbs and 2 small walls to paint...
    01-10-2020, 12:29 PM
    by jpkeates
    I agree with this, although the landlord is also being a bit unreasonable.

The walls could be contentious.
    On the one (tenant favouring) extreme, the landlord was obviously going to paint the whole place anyway, so there was no loss linked to the damage done by the tenant. So there...
    01-10-2020, 11:44 AM
  • Reply to Tenant moves his girlfriend in
    by jpkeates
    I meant that the landlord couldn't charge the tenant for the specific things I was suggesting - I wasn't suggesting novating the agreement - novating a single person tenancy into a joint tenancy agreement is likely to be difficult.

However, I was also wrong - the landlord can charge the...
    01-10-2020, 11:39 AM
  • Tenant moves his girlfriend in
    by Hollywood
    Hi all, I've searched for similar thread but didn't succeed.
    My Tenant of 14 months, now on a SPT, has moved his girlfriend in. I'm ok with arrangement, it was mentioned by him when he first moved in but they split and nothing happened until now. He has been a good tenant so far & kindly...
    30-09-2020, 14:12 PM
    by DPT57
    I think you are a bit. Once you've left you have no right of access to clean or effect repairs and its the landlords job to get that work done. From what youve said I think you owe a small contribution for the wall and light bulbs. Maybe £50 in total. I would offer that in settlement and dispute anything...
    01-10-2020, 11:27 AM
  • Reply to Ending Joint Tenancy & Agency Fees
    by DPT57
    You have no legal obligation to find a replacement tenant. Thats just a convenience for the agent. If you give notice the tenancy will end for everyone and its up to the agency to sort out the rest. That's what the landlord is paying them for.
    01-10-2020, 11:20 AM
Working...
X