summer retainer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

summer retainer

My student son paid a summer retainer of half the monthly rent to his landlord for July and August. Although he was aware it was a non-residential retainer he was told they could get access to the property from early August to leave belongings.
    It now transpires that the property is being lived in by another group of students until 24th August. Has the landlord broken the terms of the letting agreement and if so what do we do about it?

Originally posted by Mrs H View Post
    My student son paid a summer retainer of half the monthly rent to his landlord for July and August. Although he was aware it was a non-residential retainer he was told they could get access to the property from early August to leave belongings.
    It now transpires that the property is being lived in by another group of students until 24th August. Has the landlord broken the terms of the letting agreement and if so what do we do about it?
    What exactly does your son's tenancy agreement (or any other written documentation from the landlord or letting agent) say about what he can and cannot do with regard to the property during July and August? If he has evidence in writing that he could access the property to leave belongings etc then I cannot see how the LL can square that with allowing other tenants tolooke there during the same time.

On the surface of it it does indeed sound as though the LL is being very greedy and he may be acting illegally or be in breach of contract but we need to see the details.

For example, if the agreement states that belongings may be left in a secure locked cupboard, that might change things.the LL might then argue that the retainer is exactly that - a fee to secure the property until your son moves in in September, not rent as such, and that the offer to leave stuff there is a favour.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
    X