Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help needed re. deposit return

Hi,

I'm having an issue getting my deposit returned. I moved out on 7th July (the correct date having received a s21 notice from my landlord). If it makes any difference the property was an AST but into the one-month rolling statutory tenancy, the rent was £1473.33 and the property is in England. The check-out inventory was done on that same day. I received a copy of that inventory on 9th July. I inquired of the estate agent (the property is managed) on 15th July when my deposit would be returned and received a response stating something like:

"We are just waiting to hear from the landlord how much the mirror cost" (a mirror had a crack in it when I moved out)

I have now chased this twice and been given basically the same response.

Surely they cannot hold my deposit indefinitely while waiting for the landlord to reply? The estate agent offered to return my deposit minus £200 while they await the landlord informing them how much the mirror cost, and said that they would then refund the further difference between £200 and the cost of the mirror at a later date. I don't really see why I should agree to this, the mirror is a worthless piece of crap and probably cost £30 at most and I feel like they are just hoping I will abandon the £200 and not chase it further.

What steps should I take to secure the return of my deposit? Should I send a snail mail letter requesting the return within 10 days? Should I address this to the estate agent or the landlord c/o the estate agent? (The landlord lives in Pakistan and I don't know their actual address there, all communication has always been through the Estate Agent).

I have already asked them to let me know which scheme my deposit is protected with in case I need to raise a dispute (I was informed that it was protected but have long since lost the piece of paper telling me who with). Finally, if the mirror is valued at say, £50 and the estate agent attempt to deduct the full £50 from the deposit surely I am entitled to then collect the mirror? I returned the flat with a cracked mirror, not with no mirror at all.

Originally posted by Mark W View Post
    I'm having an issue getting my deposit returned. I moved out on 7th July (the correct date having received a s21 notice from my landlord).
    Just for future reference, a s.21 notice is not a notice to quit and does not end the tenancy nor remove the T's obligation to serve notice to quit if he wishes to unilaterally end the tenancy. It would appear that LL in this case is happy to accept a surrender, but another LL could legally have pursued you for rent in lieu of notice for vacating without notice in a periodic tenancy.

What steps should I take to secure the return of my deposit? ...

I have already asked them to let me know which scheme my deposit is protected with in case I need to raise a dispute (I was informed that it was protected but have long since lost the piece of paper telling me who with).
    Check with the schemes yourself; there are only three of them. When/if you find the scheme, you can raise a dispute via the scheme.

Finally, if the mirror is valued at say, £50 and the estate agent attempt to deduct the full £50 from the deposit surely I am entitled to then collect the mirror? I returned the flat with a cracked mirror, not with no mirror at all.
    No, you're not entitled to the broken mirror. It's the LL's property. If you end up paying £x for the damage, that's to cover the LL's loss, not to buy the broken mirror.

Comment

Originally posted by westminster View Post
      Just for future reference, a s.21 notice is not a notice to quit and does not end the tenancy nor remove the T's obligation to serve notice to quit if he wishes to unilaterally end the tenancy. It would appear that LL in this case is happy to accept a surrender, but another LL could legally have pursued you for rent in lieu of notice for vacating without notice in a periodic tenancy.
      And I already told you this in your previous thread

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...-notice-tenant

Comment

Your first action sould be to check with the 3 deposit schemes which, if any, protects your deposit
        https://www.depositprotection.com/is...osit-protected
        http://www.mydeposits.co.uk/tenants/...k-your-deposit
        http://www.thedisputeservice.co.uk/i...egistered.html

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
          Thanks - all of those say something along the lines of 'tenancy not found'. Is there any sort of form letter I should be sending to the estate agents now (the property is managed and the landlord in Pakistan, so not to the landlord).

Comment

Originally posted by westminster View Post

Check with the schemes yourself; there are only three of them. When/if you find the scheme, you can raise a dispute via the scheme.

No, you're not entitled to the broken mirror. It's the LL's property. If you end up paying £x for the damage, that's to cover the LL's loss, not to buy the broken mirror.
            And I replied to you in the previous thread and said that I understood that I needed to give notice - I just didn't post all the back and forth here because it's irrelevant to the main issue.

Why would the landlord get to keep the mirror if they charge me the full price of the mirror and not the cost of the damage? That wouldn't be compensating them for any loss they have suffered as they haven't lost a mirror, they've lost the difference between a damaged and an undamaged mirror. I highly doubt that a tenancy deposit can be used to unjustly enrich a landlord...

Comment

If you wanted to take the broken mirror with you then whilst you was still there you could have sourced an exact replacement and swapped them out.

A LL can take from the deposit for damages but does not have to carry out the repairs, you're not buying a broken product.

What a LL cannot do is have betterment but the wear and tear on a mirror I would think it minimal. If for example you had burnt a carpet then you would have been advised that wear and tear comes into play and a calculation explained for life expectancy etc.
              I'm a good tenant with great landlords
              I'm also a living, breathing, fully cooked female.

Comment

Originally posted by Brb View Post
                If you wanted to take the broken mirror with you then whilst you was still there you could have sourced an exact replacement and swapped them out.

A LL can take from the deposit for damages but does not have to carry out the repairs, you're not buying a broken product.

What a LL cannot do is have betterment but the wear and tear on a mirror I would think it minimal. If for example you had burnt a carpet then you would have been advised that wear and tear comes into play and a calculation explained for life expectancy etc.
                I understand that the LL does not have to carry out the repairs.

The mirror is not completely smashed, it has a small crack in the corner. If the mirror cost £50 originally and I am charged £50, and the landlord keeps the mirror, then undoubtedly the landlord has had betterment - he has got a completely free cracked mirror, whether or not he buys a new uncracked mirror with the £50.

On the other hand if I get the mirror then the situation is perfectly fair. The landlord has lost a mirror and gained the full value of that mirror, which he can use to replace it if he wants to. I have paid full value for a mirror which was not damaged when I came into possession of it.

Any other solution leads to the landlord being unjustly enriched.

Comment

I'm sure the LL would have been very happy for you to source, buy and fit a new mirror and also dispose of the one you broke - would have saved him the trouble of doing it.

Comment

I think I'm getting Brain Strain now.

How would it be if the landlord charged you a smaller amount simply because the mirror is not perfect but is useable.? Would that satisfy your sense of fair play?
                    I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

Originally posted by the-smiths View Post
                      I'm sure the LL would have been very happy for you to source, buy and fit a new mirror and also dispose of the one you broke - would have saved him the trouble of doing it.
                      I would be happy to pay the landlord the cost of 'sourcing and fitting' a mirror on top of the value of the mirror if he wanted to replace it because those costs would be part of his loss. The landlord had one undamaged mirror mounted on the wall in his flat at the start of my tenancy and he ought to be in the same position at the end of my tenancy.

How would it be if the landlord charged you a smaller amount simply because the mirror is not perfect but is useable.? Would that satisfy your sense of fair play?
                      Yes, of course. The mirror is damaged and I should pay for the damage. Not, as the estate agent implied, for a brand new mirror.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark W View Post
                        Thanks - all of those say something along the lines of 'tenancy not found'. Is there any sort of form letter I should be sending to the estate agents now.
                        Follow the advise in the link below.

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad...es?src=hpban-s

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Single parent renting
                          by Hooper
                          I am not sure that it will make her feel any better but I suspect that the children are more of an issue than being a single mum. Friends of mine have been rejected from every family size house they have applied to. They are high earning professionals with decent references and ... two young kids 2...
                          18-05-2022, 20:28 PM
                        • Single parent renting
                          by Dct
                          A friend of mine who is a single parent with three children is trying to find a house to rent. She has three children and recieves UC mainly to help with childcare costs, but despite viewing several houses and showing interest and showing she is more than able to pay rent, she has been turned down and...
                          18-05-2022, 16:32 PM
                        • Reply to Single parent renting
                          by Hudson01
                          This may just be one part of it, as ' ash72' states there are a lot less rental properties now (and it will get worse in the future), rents have sky rocketed and a LL can simply pick and choose the very very best tenant. It has become even more important than ever to get the right tenant, this is due...
                          18-05-2022, 19:40 PM
                        • Reply to Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
                          by Hudson01
                          As 'ash72' states you may be angry at the perceived way in which the landlord has treated you but do not mix the two up, If you wish to take on more stress after you have been evicted and may still be looking for a place to live...... which with a CCJ will be all but impossible, go ahead, but i would...
                          18-05-2022, 19:14 PM
                        • Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
                          by Forgetmeknot
                          I wondered if anyone can tell me if it is possible to counter claim for damage, harassment, poss landlord breach in contract and emotional distress in a section 8 eviction.
                          so basically I’ve read online that i can claim for compensation which will go towards reducing my rent arrears but my solicitor...
                          18-05-2022, 16:30 PM
                        • Reply to Let a house to local council
                          by ram
                          If you are in flats, with service charges, the buildings insurance for residential Landlords insurance ( the Landlord of the freehold, that insures the building ) The insurance company may well cease immediately the insurance coverage.

It happend to our block of flats ( I was the Co. Sec,
                          18-05-2022, 18:54 PM
                        • Let a house to local council
                          by r3drum
                          Guys

Have a property which is currently marketed for rent ( 2 bedroom - fully renovated ). Been about 3 weeks and not had much interest shown.

Anyone got information or first hand knowledge around renting the property to the local councils or any other authorities which guarantee...
                          20-11-2019, 11:58 AM
                        • Reply to Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
                          by theartfullodger
                          'phone Shelter 0808 800 4444 for advice.
                          18-05-2022, 18:31 PM
                        • Reply to Is my estate agent misleading me?
                          by abimsalabim
                          As I said in the original post, the deposit is NOT in a Tenancy Deposit Scheme but, instead is being held directly by the Agent....
                          18-05-2022, 18:31 PM
                        • Is my estate agent misleading me?
                          by abimsalabim
                          I am a Landlord and I have a company tenancy which has now come to an end. I did a check-in inventory before the tenant moved in and I have done a check-out inventory now that they have moved out, and there are damages to my property by the tenant. The deposit is being held by the agent and is not in...
                          18-05-2022, 14:15 PM
                        Working...
                        X