sub letting

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    sub letting

    hi, im just after some advice. ive got some tenants in for over a year now. and they are short of rent everyweek. rent is 1150 and they received 856 from the council every month which is now being paid direct to me. since this change around 4 months ago, they have been making excuses about not paying the difference. its tough for me to keep subbing the difference and every month or so, im late with my mortgage payments. I rang my local housing advice centre who stated that despite me having difficulty in paying my mortgage, they would encourage the tenant to take me to court to get the keys. Money which i cant spare at the moment. i more recently received another letter stating the housing benefit has now dropped to £139 a week as the tenants now only receive benefit for a 1 bedroom. previously was 2 bedroom. The daughter has now moved out, didnt know she lived there in the first place.

    my question is this, could i now say to the tenant, as you are only receiving rent for 1 bedroom and your occupying a 3 bedroom house, i will now be renting out the remaining 2 rooms which would help me financially and perhaps think about whether they would speed up the process of leaving by finding their own accomodation.

    any help would be appreciated.

    No you can't.

    Your best solution is to serve S21, and S8 when the grounds are satisfied (2 months unpaid).

    It will take 4 to 5 months to evict them if they dig in their heels.
    I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg


      No, you have granted a tenancy for the whole property. If you want to let any of it out, you have to end the current tenancy first.


        hi, thanks for the reply.

        i am going to issue a section 8 and 21 notice. where can i find these notices so i can print them and issue.

        also, by issuing the section 8, does this allow me to recoup the money owed to me in court? how does this work and how much would this cost me in legal fees?

        thanking you in advance


        Latest Activity