Repossession purchase - how to find current utility supplier info?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repossession purchase - how to find current utility supplier info?

Hello,

I am currently purchasing my first BTL property. The property is a repossession and is vacant.

There are safety stickers on the boiler, saying that the supply has been switched off and to contact a certified gas installer.

My question is, in trying to prepare for the letting of the flat, does anyone know the correct way of going about ascertaining the current gas (and electricity/water, for that matter) suppliers?

I'm also wondering how it gets resolved too if I plan to let it out, but I need to test the GFCH before doing so, as I don't want to have to sign up with an energy supplier just to test it, if the incoming tenant will be the one signing up with the suppliers (and we all know how long it takes for the new supplier process to transfer over, let alone doing it twice!).

Any ideas? I'm afraid I'm new to all this!

Many thanks.

1) Call any utility supplier, then will be able to tell you who the supplier is.

2) Open an account in your name with that supplier - it's usually a one-day process. You'll need utilities for various purposes, not only gas safety checks.

3) On move-in day, telephone the supplier with the current meter reading and transfer the supply to the new tenant.

4) If the tenant wants to change supplier, that's fine and it may take a while, but that's their issue, not yours.

Comment

Electricity - 0845 6030618

Gas- 0870 6081524

I don't think they are regional, but never really though about it.

When they put the stickers on, it is usually the case that they have simply turned the handle(by the gas meter) 90 degrees, not that the supply is disconnected or decmmissioned.

If it is simply "turned off", then there is no need to sign up with the utility company in order for the gas engineer to test the appliances etc.
      Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Landlord333 View Post
        My question is, in trying to prepare for the letting of the flat, does anyone know the correct way of going about ascertaining the current gas (and electricity/water, for that matter) suppliers?

I'm also wondering how it gets resolved too if I plan to let it out, but I need to test the GFCH before doing so, as I don't want to have to sign up with an energy supplier just to test it, if the incoming tenant will be the one signing up with the suppliers (and we all know how long it takes for the new supplier process to transfer over, let alone doing it twice!).

See here for energy suppliers.

You should go ahead and set up utility accounts in your name now anyway. You'll need to use at least a bit of electricity and gas before your new tenants move in (lighting, hot water for cleaning etc) - just make sure you hand over meter readings to the suppliers now and when your tenants move in, and make sure you're on a no-standing-charge tarrif; your own bills will be minimal and maybe even waived if they're really low. Whoever takes over the supplies next (ie you or your tenant) has no alternative initially but to use the current supplier anyway, even if you apply to change on that same day; it will take a few weeks to get swapped; so as you say, leave that for your tenant to worry about.

Are you letting unfurnished? If so you'll hopefully get 100% discount on the council tax meanwhile; but you need to notify them as well as utility providers.

Comment

For gas & elec, note down the meter ID code shown on each.
          I believe Centrica is resp for the Register of Meters, which should show current supplier. Are prepayment (key) meters fitted?
          As for water, unless you are on the border between 2 diff water Co's it should be the Co for that region. Websites should give water Co boundaries. eg Lincoln = Anglian Water.

Any GaseSafe registered plumber can repair/replace g/ch and issue the nec GSC. Check their Registration on GasSafe website first.

Comment

Wow, people, thanks very much for the replies - this was my first post here and the quality of all your posts is unsurpassed by other internet forums, so a big thank you for all your answers!

As I am in the conveyancing process at the moment, I shall get underway on these issues soon hopefully, not even sure of the meter type (or numbers) at the moment, so still some way to go yet.

It will be let unfurnished, as I believe this will be easier to maintain, etc...so thanks for the tip about the council tax relief too!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X