• Time
  • Show
Clear All

tenant requesting a S21

I have had a tenant in my property for 5 months now, a good tenant, pays
    regular etc. she is a single mom, and wants to leave at the end of the
    contract (6.3.07), today she rings me up and asks if i would fill in a
    section 21 form for her. she can no longer afford the rent on my property
    and is looking for a council property. I have no experience of these and had
    never heard of one until now. She would leave amicably at the end of the
    contract anyway, but will i be in anyway breaking the law by doing this for
    to assist her in finding a council property? Will it cost me alot?

Any thoughts appreciated.

A S21 is relatively easy to do I understand but you have to be really careful with the dates.

But the tenant is under illusions if she thinks she will get a council property merely on the issue of a S21.

You first have to give at at least two months notice within the S21 and this would not be effective until after the end of the fixed period at the very least.

You would then have to get a court ordered possession against her, and even then the council is unlikely to rehouse her until bailiffs arrive.

All of which YOU have to pay for !! It may well be a good couple of months after the end of the fixed period and her leaving the property.

Added to which, collusion between the tenant and landlord is, for the purposes of getting a council property , I believe illegal, although in practical terms I'm not sure how they'd prove it.

On the other hand, if she really couldn't afford the rent, you'd have to pay court costs to evict her in any event plus you'd have arrears.

Originally posted by jeffers View Post
    I have had a tenant in my property for 5 months now, a good tenant, pays
    regular etc. she is a single mom, and wants to leave at the end of the
    contract (6.3.07), today she rings me up and asks if i would fill in a
    section 21 form for her. she can no longer afford the rent on my property
    and is looking for a council property. I have no experience of these and had
    never heard of one until now. She would leave amicably at the end of the
    contract anyway, but will i be in anyway breaking the law by doing this for
    to assist her in finding a council property? Will it cost me alot?

Any thoughts appreciated.
    Any information or opinion given in this post is based only on my personal experience, what I have learned from this, other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person. E&OE

Comment

You have nothing to lose by issuing a s21 now and it will cost you nothing (also you wont have to inforce if it turns out you dont need to) if you wait until she stops paying rent you will have wait another 2 months, maybe more depending on the day of the month.

As pippay says just make sure it is filled out right other wise you are wasting your time.

Comment

Thanks for that (both of you). Makes it a little clearer. She now tells me she doesnt need a S21! Im due 1 more months rent in 2 weeks, and that should take her to the end of the agreement, she has paid promptly up till now via SO. So ill give her the benefit of the doubt and wait till 6.3.07 when contarct is up. She is also been coppertaive with letting agents too, they've been in for pics and to readvertise, so nothing concrete yet that she may mess me around.

Thanks again.

Comment

has she given notice then? Is that why you're re-advertising now? Unless she gives you written notice I would be very hesitant about re-letting just yet !

I know from personal experience that even if you are classed as in "priority need and homeless" for the purposes of being rehoused by a Local Authority in practice it can take many months for this to happen and as she already has somewhere to live (until she gets rehoused or until you evict her) she won't be at the top of the "homeless list"

Tread carefully

Originally posted by jeffers View Post
          She is also been coppertaive with letting agents too, they've been in for pics and to readvertise, so nothing concrete yet that she may mess me around.

Thanks again.
          Any information or opinion given in this post is based only on my personal experience, what I have learned from this, other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person. E&OE

Comment

Originally posted by pippay View Post
            Added to which, collusion between the tenant and landlord is, for the purposes of getting a council property , I believe illegal, although in practical terms I'm not sure how they'd prove it.
            Also, you are likely to be contacted and asked why you are evicting her, and you'd have to make up some reason which would appease the council, and lie about it. Just something else to consider.

Comment

The Shelter website provides advice to tenants so it is written from that perspective.

Nonetheless, it is very good at describing the steps and process that you would need to undertake to evict her and the assistance she can expect from the council.

http://england.shelter.org.uk/advice/advice-4144.cfm

Here is the help that she can expect from the council housing department

http://england.shelter.org.uk/advice/advice-145.cfm
              http://england.shelter.org.uk/advice/advice-6682.cfm

In particular, it provides information about how they determine whether she qualifies for assistance or has made herself intentionally homeless.

http://england.shelter.org.uk/advice/advice-156.cfm

As indicated by the previous posters, Local authorities do not simply hand out social housing (of which there is a dire shortage) to a tenant when their fixed term private tenancy is scheduled to expire. They may place a homeless person in temporary shared accommodation, such as a B&B or refuse to help if they believe she has made herself homeless.

Keep us posted on the outcome.

Comment

Hi.

All the above has been extremey useful, well i have requested in writing her notice, and last months rent has cleared too, so all being well there should be no tears!

Comment

Not even yours if the council instructs her to sit tight until you've obtained a court order for repossession of the property and perhaps even engaged bailiffs?

Comment

I always find it interesting that a court orders the tenant to leave by a certain date - the tenant wants council housing and so approaches the local authority. The LA then tell the tenant to sit tight until the bailiffs evict - thereby asking and concerting with the tenant to disobedience of the court order - so why are the LA's who do this never dragged up before the judge and charged with contempt of court?

And before anyone says money judgments are like this - no they aren't - if a debtor does not pay a money judgment, he does not have an official body telling him not to (i.e. the LA) and there are only specific enforcements available (i.e. bailiff removing goods/attach bank or earnings/charging order).

Roll on the day we see a Housing Officer of the LA in court for telling a repossessee to sit there until the bailiffs evict!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by davidjohnbutton View Post
                      I always find it interesting that a court orders the tenant to leave by a certain date - the tenant wants council housing and so approaches the local authority. The LA then tell the tenant to sit tight until the bailiffs evict - thereby asking and concerting with the tenant to disobedience of the court order
                      I was pleased that when I recently had to evict a tenant who was in line for social housing, the LA agreed to move her in line with the timing of the posession order, and did so; so no bailiffs required. From what I've read here this is a growing trend, I think responding to a directive from Central Government?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Joint tenancy agreement, 1 tenant has already moved out
                        by DoricPixie
                        In the opening post you said there was 6 month fixed term AST with both your niece and her now-ex-partner named as joint tenants. Now you are saying there was never a tenancy agreement drawn up.

With the benefit of hindsight it would have been better if you'd had your niece pay money into...
                        27-10-2021, 06:33 AM
                      • Joint tenancy agreement, 1 tenant has already moved out
                        by Yorkie2020
                        Good evening all,

I wonder if I could get some advice on ending an AST tenancy in England.

Originally a 6 month AST last Sept between my niece and her partner, I foolishly listed both on the AST as joint tenants and didn't list him as a permitted, there was no deposit paid....
                        20-10-2021, 19:44 PM
                      • Reply to Joint tenancy agreement, 1 tenant has already moved out
                        by Yorkie2020
                        Guess I've been very lucky this time. My niece has informed her partner that she is ending the tenancy and signing up for a new one in her name only and he is ok with it. She did point out that he will no longer be responsible for any more rent or bills when it's totally in her name.
                        JPkeats,...
                        27-10-2021, 02:02 AM
                      • Reply to Increasing rent
                        by jpkeates
                        There may be something on the NRLA website, but I don't know of a standard template.

To be honest that clause doesn't seem to help you a lot, it stops you using a s13 notice (I'd wrongly assumed that because it said "may" you'd be able to) but doesn't actually help you with an...
                        26-10-2021, 17:37 PM
                      • Increasing rent
                        by Berlingogirl
                        Tenancy start date May 2020 in England. 6 month initial AST.
                        My tenancy agreement says
                        “The landlord may increase the rent after the first 52 weeks of the tenancy…..”
                        Is there a specific form I should use?...
                        26-10-2021, 13:33 PM
                        by Berlingogirl
                        Thanks jpkeates, I looked at the form 13 but that’s for if you don’t have anything in your tenancy agreement with regard to a rent increase. Is there a pro forma for a rent increase if there is a condition in your TA?
                        26-10-2021, 17:05 PM
                        by jpkeates
                        If the tenancy is now an SPT, and you want to be ever so formal (and impose the increase without any agreement), search for form 13 (which is called something else on the government's tenancy forms page).

Otherwise, you just need to get the tenant to agree and start paying the new rent...
                        26-10-2021, 13:58 PM
                      • Reply to Advanced rent and S21 Notices
                        by jpkeates
                        It is quite likely that the 2 additional months might be seen as a deposit, unless the tenancy agreement is very specific about the initial payment being for months 1, 5 and 6.

If it is a deposit, you won't be able to use a s21 notice without returning it and the deposit will be unlawful...
                        26-10-2021, 08:35 AM
                      • Advanced rent and S21 Notices
                        by Shorif908
                        Hi All,

I have recently had new tenants move in.
                        the estate agent did the whole thing and put them in.

The arrangement with rent payments was this. 6 months AST Tennants pay last 3 months rent in advance and then make 3 monthly payments in advance. Ie start of the month....
                        26-10-2021, 08:06 AM
                      • Reply to Advanced rent and S21 Notices
                        by Lesney Park
                        BUT to answer your question, yes the 3 months very much look like an unlawful deposit, being for a non-defined period (the last 3 months of a tenancy). If it is for a specific 3 months, its a bit lesss grey but then I'm wondering what you hope to achieve...
                        26-10-2021, 08:35 AM
                      Working...
                      X