Residential letting - how many/which tenant checks to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Residential letting - how many/which tenant checks to do?

Hello,

I am new to the site and would really appreciate some advice regarding suitable tenant checks.

My current situation: I have been renting my property (as a whole) to two tenants for the last 10.5 months. I used a Tenant Finder Service with a local LA to get these tenants into the property. I have re-advertisted the house with the same LA, but there has been very little interest. With approx 6 weeks to go until the end of current tenancy, I'm very keen to get new tenants signed up ASAP.

I have decided to advertise the property myself (using Spareroom) on a room-by-room basis, offering two individual rooms. I have been reading up on different tenant checks/verifications and wanted to ask landlords more experienced than myself who use the forum, which tenant checks they would strongly reccommend. I ask this because there seem to be many checks one can do, but I also realise that from the point of view of a prospective tenant, a multitude of checks may seem daunting and intimidating.

Basically, I want to do enough checks to verify their suitability as a paying tenant without frightening them away!!

Any thoughts/suggestions very welcome. Thanks for reading,
    Amy

What makes you think your tenants are going to leave ?

I assume it was a 12 month contract ?
    They can stay over the 12 months without a new contract, but
    assume as you have advertised, they have told you they are leaving ?

If you "re-advertisted the house with the same LA" then they do the
    checks, and if you do find someone wanting to rent, just send them to
    the agent, as you are paying them already !

R.a.M.

Comment

Thanks for quick response R.a.M. Apologies, I was rather vague whilst hastily writing my first post. Have clarified a few things below...

What makes you think your tenants are going to leave ?

I assume it was a 12 month contract ?

They can stay over the 12 months without a new contract, but
      assume as you have advertised, they have told you they are leaving ?
      They have come to the end of their second 6 month contract at the property, they have finished their studies and they have given me notice of their leave.

If you "re-advertisted the house with the same LA" then they do the
      checks, and if you do find someone wanting to rent, just send them to
      the agent, as you are paying them already !
      I understand that if the house is advertised with the LA and they find a tenant, then they do the checks (as they did first time around with my current tenants). I have not paid the LA anything upfront. The house has been advertised by LA for the last 3 weeks. Only one viewing, of which nothing came. If I am not able to get new tenants in the house by September, then I will have to move back there myself. Hence why I'm keen to get tenants and prepared to do the work myself.

So far, after less than 3 days doing the leg work myself, I have received far more interest and as a result, I have managed secure a viewing.

Going back to my original query, I'm not 100% sure which tenant checks are the best (reccomended by experienced LLs) or indeed how far to go with the checking (concerned too much checking, may put off prospective tenant...). I'm aware that there are probably no strict rules as to exactly which checks/references to use, since I would expect this to differ on a case-by-case basis, but an outline of the main important checks would be very helpful.

So far, I have come up with credit, employment, previous LL & CCJ...

Thanks,
      Amy

Comment

Originally posted by Amy_F View Post
        I'm aware that there are probably no strict rules as to exactly which checks/references to use, since I would expect this to differ on a case-by-case basis, but an outline of the main important checks would be very helpful.

In the "Documents" section of this forum there is a "Residential Tenancy Application" form. You should check everything on that form.

Comment

Are you aware that you will be responsible for council tax? Have you thought whos name utilities will be in? You do realise that tenants will be responsible for their own rooms only - unless you can prove who caused damage, you won't be able to charge Ts for damage in communal areas.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X