Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mice issue, please help!

Hi,

I bought the property over two years, about a year ago my tenant complained of mice rodent issues. I tried to keep him happy and called a pest controller in to investigate and he left some poisons to scare the mice away.

But the tenant just informed me again that he appears to have rodent again and thinks that the poisons are out of date. He is always trying to give me problems so I am not sure if there is actually any mice because he lives on first floor on a self-contained flat (private front door). Please note that he is a regulated tenant so no chance of removing him.

I have read through most of the posts in this forum relating to mice issues and could not understand who ultimately is responsible for this. My worries is that he will keep doing it again next year then it becomes my regular responsibility.

Any advice is very muh appreciated.

Martin

Your local council may be able to help free of charge. It might be worth giving them a call. Also, you could get hold of a couple of mouse traps from your hardware store (they also sell humane ones) and pass them on to your tenant. Whether he is right or wrong in thinking he has a mouse, at least you have been seen to deal with the problem. I like to keep a book of any problems, queries etc. from either side, dated and how it was dealt with. Could prove good evidence in the future.

Comment

Martin - mice can obviously be a recurrent problem (& an expensive one at that). Last time I had a mice issue I got a pest control company out and it cost £130 for four weekly visits to eradicate the problem!

Not wanting to have this cost again (potentially time & time again) I decided to invest in Mouse & Rat Plug in Ultrasonic Repellers. They can be expensive but I managed to get some reasonably cheap on e-bay (Pack of 4 for 16.60 inc delivery). If you just rely on a search on ebay you'll bring them up at £17 (incl delivery) but if you go into community and search for member called Salgadsby (then click on items for sale) you'll find them at the cheaper price. Also, if you have a number of properties you want protecting and so want more than one pack of 4 try asking for a discount on postage (worth a try)!

Mice havn't been spotted at the problem property since I plugged them in!

Kind Regards

J

PS. Not too clever at doing links so if this link works I'll be well chuffed..... here goes....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mouse-Rat-Plug...QQcmdZViewItem

If it doesn't work members who are interested can probably copy and paste....
      Last edited by Joannepowell; 26-01-2007, 00:06 AM. Reason: link to repellers

Comment

How about revisiting the old chestnut of 'Can a Kitten fit through a letter box?' That would sort out any mice issues!!

Comment

Better still he could start charging the mice rent!

My link works!!!
          Last edited by Joannepowell; 26-01-2007, 00:07 AM. Reason: additional info

Comment

wouldn't it then become an HMO ?

House of Mice Occupation?

Originally posted by Joannepowell View Post
            Better still he could start charging the mice rent!

My link works!!!
            Any information or opinion given in this post is based only on my personal experience, what I have learned from this, other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person. E&OE

Comment

That wouldn't be good news for the landlord pippay cos then he'd have to pay the council tax himself..... hence all the more need to charge them rent!

Comment

It's a mice point but, on balance, I would leave them to pay the Uniform Business Rats.
                JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Just a quick thanks to Joanne for the mice repellent link! I've ordered some.

Regards
                  Craig

Comment

No probs Craig.

Hope they work as well for you as they have for my ex partner! He says he hasn't had evidence of mice since installing them.

J

Comment

Originally posted by DianeB View Post
                      I like to keep a book of any problems, queries etc. from either side, dated and how it was dealt with. Could prove good evidence in the future.
                      Only just read this thread, and must say Diane what an excellent idea! I am going to start doing this from now on as well - thanks!
                      Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.

Comment

Good luck Castb - hope your home is soon "squeaky" clean again!

Comment

Ultrasonic Repellers are a total waste of money!!!

Try glue traps, there about £2 a pair from Wilkinson

Comment

Have tried them uncle fester! How horrible to see live mice stuck in them and touching them to throw them away is a terrible experience. You have to throw them quick because otherwise they just eat their way out of them.... I found the whole experience of using them horrific! Personal choice and all that.... Yuck!

J

Comment

Originally posted by Joannepowell View Post
                              Have tried them uncle fester! How horrible to see live mice stuck in them and touching them to throw them away is a terrible experience. You have to throw them quick because otherwise they just eat their way out of them.... I found the whole experience of using them horrific! Personal choice and all that.... Yuck!

J

Everything has it's Pro's & Con's I suppose.

But still very very effective for it's use!!!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X