A cautionary tale

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A cautionary tale

    I have a number of tenants in receipt of housing benefit, all good, this one was the exception. Medically retired and newly separated from her husband, three school age children, her previous landlord was selling up. References checked out so I offered her a large three bedroom house with gardens and close to the childrens’ school. Most of the rent was paid by housing benefit, her monthly contribution was £ 28.00. From the second month, this top up was regularly either unpaid, paid late or paid short. Numerous letters, phone calls and visits required to get even these. Naturally, I turned to this forum for advice and the consensus of opinion was that she was trying to get evicted in order to get a council house. Well, she succeeded, after a fashion, section 21 served, council said “wait for the court order”, court order served, council said “wait for the bailiffs”, in the meantime, they arranged ‘temporary’ accommodation for her. This turned out to be a flat in a decrepit block in a very run down area, when I looked at it, I wouldn’t even get out of the car. Council said, and meant, no other option. ‘Temporary’ in this area means dead mens’ shoes for a council or housing association property and sufficient points, in her case, this somewhat stretches the meaning of the word ‘temporary’.

    I am not taking pleasure from her situation, she brought it on herself and I gave her plenty of opportunities to clear her arrears and stay so I have a clear conscience. I am writing this partly to lay it to rest in my own mind, partly to say “Thank You” to those who advised me and partly in the hope that it will be read by landlords who can talk to problem tenants about it and tenants who might be warned about the consequences of their actions.

  • #2
    What you've posted I'm afraid is nothing new, and most experienced landlords are aware of this situation.
    The advice I give should not be construed as a definitive answer, and is without prejudice or liability. You are advised to consult a specialist solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.


    Latest Activity