Prepayment meter problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jta View Post
    A coin in the slot meter is a recipe for disaster. If the meter cuts out and someone puts money in without making sure all the outlets are turned off, then

BOOM
    a few years back maybe but not now

Most if not all gas appliances have pressure valves now; if the gas is turned off the valve shuts and cuts off the gas supply until manually opened again
    My advice is not based on formal legal training but experience gained in 20+ years in the letting industry.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys, it is a token meter that I'm after, not because coin meters go Boom, but because tenants seem to think they are a money reserve if they get skint. But referring to the original post.... Does anyone know where I can buy one from?

Comment

I asked Basil Brush, He said ´sorry no, boom boom.´
        I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

thanks for taking this seriously!

Comment

Originally posted by jta View Post
            I asked Basil Brush, He said ´sorry no, boom boom.´
            Possibly because of where your hand was?
            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Dirty Stop Out - Greengriff gave you the answer.. contact your supplier and they will give you the information you require.
              Mrs Jones
              I am not an expert - my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as fact!!

Comment

Changing the Meter to prepaid?

Afternoon, the tenants in our rented property are running up huge bills on the electric and gas, and the gas company has stated that they want to put in a prepayment meter.

I have always paid all the bills for the house, although looking at the TA it states:

" The Landlord will pay for all Water rates, including sewerage rates, assessments and outgoings in respect of the Property (except for council tax and charges for the supply of gas or electricity, light and power or the use of any telephone)."

I am presuming from this that I can give them the go ahead to install a new prepayment meter and put the meter in the 3 (seperate) tenants names? How would you go about informing the tenants that they will be required to pay prepayment from the time the meter is fitted?

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by lincoln View Post
                  Afternoon, the tenants in our rented property are running up huge bills on the electric and gas, and the gas company has stated that they want to put in a prepayment meter.
                  Utility co's only demand to install prepayment meters when their bills aren't being paid...

I have always paid all the bills for the house, although looking at the TA it states:
                  " The Landlord will pay for all Water rates, including sewerage rates, assessments and outgoings in respect of the Property (except for council tax and charges for the supply of gas or electricity, light and power or the use of any telephone)."
                  Eh? so are you paying all the utility bills or not?! Presumably nobody is paying, which is why they want to install the meter?

I am presuming from this that I can give them the go ahead to install a new prepayment meter and put the meter in the 3 (seperate) tenants names?
                  Assuming the tenants are responsible for the supply, then it has nothing to do with you... it's between the utility co and them, the customers.

Comment

Up to this point I have paid all the bills, including the water, gas and electric. But the bank cancelled the direct debit from my account to the energy company. The energy company called and stated they ahve not had a reply to their letters to me. I have never received any, nor the bill.

I said I want to set up a repayment plan and they said you must pay this much, which I can't afford. They said we can install a prepayment meter and the tenants can then pre pay the electric.

The company said once the meter has been installed, I can then pay a bit each month.

So, in answer to the last point, I am currectly reponsible for the supply, it is in my name, although nothing is in writing (TA) to state that I will pay for them all.

Thanks

Comment

I still can't understand why you are responsible for the bills if the agreement states the tenants should be paying them (which would be the normal way of doing things anyway).

How long has this situation been the status quo? All sounds very odd to me.

Do the tenants believe they are or should be paying for their own gas? Is there an element built in to te rent to cover this? How will they react when they suddenly(?) find out they have to pay for utilities?

Isn't the answer to tell the tenants they need to transfer the bills into their own name as of now? They can then start from scratch, with their standard credit meters, and which would of course leave you to be chased by the gas co for the currently outstanding bill. Which you probably don't want.

Comment

So how many other people are going to hijack daniellepace19's thread??
                        Mrs Jones
                        I am not an expert - my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as fact!!

Comment

Take this thread to Cuba- or the little dog gets a bullet.
                          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Prepayment meters installed without permission

Can anyone offer any advice? I went to carry out an end of tenancy check today and found that the tenant had changed the electricity and gas meters to prepayment meters in July. This was done without my knowledge or permission. She said that this was done because she owed so much.

Can utility services do this without my permission? Is there anything I can do about this without incurring charges for changing the meters back again to ordinary meters?

If there is a charge for this I assume that I can claim this off the tenant.

Comment

Two threads on the same topic have been merged here.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X