Tenanted property bought at auction, tenant not communicating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenanted property bought at auction, tenant not communicating

I have purchased a property at auction recently, the rent was over the market, however when i asked the otherside solicitor for the tenancy details they have informed me that they didnt have the details as it is a repossesed property, after completion I posted a letter to the house giving the new landlord details and contact details, no one has contacted me Ive also tried to knock on the door at different times without any sucess and I do not have the tenant details, and cannot enter to the house, even though i do have the keys as it would be illegal, I decided to send a notice 21 to them, can any one advise me what to do please? help!

Hello Hammatime,
    I don't know if you have read my post about new landlord that doesn't get in touch with me, we are in the same situation just opposite sides. I am not able to help you but just wanted to say that I understand your frustration.
    May I just ask you how long did it take for you to complete all the paperwork after the auction? Still waiting for landlord's details after a month from the sale, just wanted to know if it is normal.
    Sorry not being able to help you though.

Comment

Originally posted by hammatime View Post
      I have purchased a property at auction recently, the rent was over the market, however when I asked the other side solicitor for the tenancy details they have informed me that they didn't have the details as it is a repossessed property, after completion I posted a letter to the house giving the new landlord details and contact details, no one has contacted me Ive also tried to knock on the door at different times without any success and I do not have the tenant details, and cannot enter to the house, even though I do have the keys as it would be illegal, I decided to send a notice 21 to them, can any one advise me what to do please? help!

They could be on Holiday or something else !

So you purchased a repossessed property without finding out the date the tenants 1st moved in ?
      Fed up with nitpickers and rivet counters...

Comment

So how do you know that the rent is over the market(value)?

Please don't say the seller told you so.
        Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Have you served the section 21 notice yet, or are you asking how to do so?

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser9 View Post
            Hello Hammatime,
            I don't know if you have read my post about new landlord that doesn't get in touch with me, we are in the same situation just opposite sides. I am not able to help you but just wanted to say that I understand your frustration.
            May I just ask you how long did it take for you to complete all the paperwork after the auction? Still waiting for landlord's details after a month from the sale, just wanted to know if it is normal.
            Sorry not being able to help you though.
            it took me about four weeks to complete, may be you are my tenant who knows

Comment

Originally posted by 45002 View Post
              They could be on Holiday or something else !

So you purchased a repossessed property without finding out the date the tenants 1st moved in ?

in the auction catalogue it says tenant moved in from january on AST

Comment

Originally posted by thesaint View Post
                So how do you know that the rent is over the market(value)?

Please don't say the seller told you so.
                i checked on right move and also on LHA rates

Comment

i checked on right move and also on LHA rates
                  I think you've missed my point.
                  Have you seen the tenancy agreement that states the rent payable, and is the rent being paid?
                  Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

OP, I think you may be in deep trouble here.

Unless you have access to the tenancy agreement, you do not know what terms the tenant is living there under. As a new owner, you become the LL and inherit all the terms and conditions of that tenancy, and cannot make the tenant sign a new agreement with you. If tenant signed a new agreement in January (again you actually have no proof of this), you do not know how long the term of this agreement is, so even if you issue notice, you cannot enforce that notice until the fixed term ends - 12 month tenancy, could be next January before you can act to evict them.

Did you not view the property internally before the purchase?

As for the amount of rent, Rightmove is not a reliable source for this info! You should have asked for written proof from the vendor of the amount of rent he has received, and how reliable the tenants are at paying him!

Comment

Originally posted by LesleyAnne View Post
                      OP, I think you may be in deep trouble here.

Unless you have access to the tenancy agreement, you do not know what terms the tenant is living there under. As a new owner, you become the LL and inherit all the terms and conditions of that tenancy, and cannot make the tenant sign a new agreement with you. If tenant signed a new agreement in January (again you actually have no proof of this), you do not know how long the term of this agreement is, so even if you issue notice, you cannot enforce that notice until the fixed term ends - 12 month tenancy, could be next January before you can act to evict them.

Did you not view the property internally before the purchase?

As for the amount of rent, Rightmove is not a reliable source for this info! You should have asked for written proof from the vendor of the amount of rent he has received, and how reliable the tenants are at paying him!

there was a viewing day but couldnt make it, so i did not view it,
                      if theu have 12 months contract does it mean they can live without paying rent until 12 months, because the tenant is not contacting me after several attempts tried to contact them with no success,

so what can i do? can i send a letter to inform them that I want to inspect my property and that i will open the door if no one is opening? is this allowed

Comment

Originally posted by thesaint View Post
                        I think you've missed my point.
                        Have you seen the tenancy agreement that states the rent payable, and is the rent being paid?
                        i did not see the tenancy agreements, I did contact the solicitor acting for the receiver and told me that according to the auction catalogue there is a tenant from january and that they have no further details and not even the tenants details, how can this be possible was wondering how did they manage to arrange for the viewings prior to auction

Comment

hammatime, you knowingly bought a property with unseen resident T and no sight of Lease & seem to have no knowledge of rights of T. & LL resps.
                          Did you write to him,stating you were his new LL, with an address for serving legal Notices and your bank details for payment of rent? If the propery is within 4 hrs travel, visit, knock, but do not enter uninvited, talk to neighbours, wait for T to return, then introduce yourself, give and obtain info. Whilst in town, do some checks at Council Offices, C Tax, electoral roll etc and introduce yourself to private res lettings officer.
                          No, T cannot withold rent for 12 months once he receives required notification of new LL and new account details for payment of rent.
                          Even if this is your first rental property, you are running a business, lack of knowledge can be very expensive for any LL.
                          To misquote someone, "How do you make a small profit from renting - start with a larger income."

Comment

I frequently go to property auctions and browse the online catalogues.

The phrase 'buyer beware' is more relevant at auctions than in the generalestate agent sales market.

Never trust anything said by the auction house unless you have verified it yourself and the same goes for the legal pack. (I notice that one house I follow is making the legal packs available for free now whereas there was a charge of £35 for what are often inaccurate/incorrect details.)

Hammatime - you should have asked to see the AST or at least a signed copy. No doubt the vendor and his solicitor are laughing all the way to the bank. Often these auction properties have tenants with no agreements or what they like to call 'a tenancy at will' or even be subject to a protected tenancy. These would depress the market value of the property somewhat.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

i did not see the tenancy agreements, I did contact the solicitor acting for the receiver and told me that according to the auction catalogue there is a tenant from january and that they have no further details and not even the tenants details
                              I think that would have been the point when most people would have turned away and headed for the hills - unless you paid an outrageously low price for the place, which would cover you against the worst-case scenario arising from a tenant being in place. Did you not have a solicitor of your own involved at any stage?

was wondering how did they manage to arrange for the viewings prior to auction
                              Every reason to suppose that they never did manage it... after all, you bought it unseen, didn't you?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• s8 and s21 notice periods for contractual periodic tenancy
                                by LastBus
                                Hi,
                                I let a flat to a tenant on an AST in England which has been running for a few years on a contractual periodic basis. I have now found myself in a position where I need to live in the property.

I did serve the s8 "prior grounds" notice (Ground 1 and 2) before the start...
                                15-08-2022, 01:07 AM
                              • Reply to Guarantor has announced they wont be paying!
                                by DoricPixie
                                I don’t think you’ll get the property back by October either. The tenant is angling for social housing and the council will advise her to hand in until bailiffs physically removed her from the property. Insurance companies and solicitors can’t make the process go any faster. A solicitor might...
                                14-08-2022, 22:51 PM
                              • Guarantor has announced they wont be paying!
                                by lordluvus
                                The girl works in HM service with good ref and actually always paid her half, her dopey partner, was newly self employed and has a guarantor. (family member). Tenant got pregnant but has always paid her half, if sometimes late. Now they have a 1 yr old baby boy. This month she has paid 60% but the rest...
                                14-08-2022, 19:36 PM
                              • Reply to Future Issues for LL and Tenants
                                by DoricPixie
                                Properly insulated properties also help to keep the air cool inside during summer. Much in the same way a Thermos flask can keep its contents either hot or cold.

If you had a well insulated home then you wouldn’t need larger radiators to use with heat pumps. Once you reached the desired...
                                14-08-2022, 22:44 PM
                              • Future Issues for LL and Tenants
                                by Hudson01
                                Looking at the news today (similar to yesterday and the day before), they are talking about combined energy bills of 4-5k a year...... by April 2023. There are many properties up north where the combined rental per annum is between 6-7k....... that is insane.

Could we have a situation...
                                13-08-2022, 22:08 PM
                              • Reply to Gas Central Heating Included in Rent
                                by ash72
                                I really can't see the new PM (who ever that is) is going to reach into their pockets to then give out more money, If they do I think it's going to be like the winter payment, only selected people will be eligible, and guess what LL's will not be one of them.

What other countries are doing...
                                14-08-2022, 21:21 PM
                              • Gas Central Heating Included in Rent
                                by patray
                                I am trying to work out the best way to recoup some of the increase in the cost of the gas given that we can only put up the rent once a year but the cost is going to be increased in October and probably every 3 months.

It's not possible to forsee how much prices will rise or what help...
                                14-08-2022, 14:03 PM
                              • Reply to Gas Central Heating Included in Rent
                                by Hudson01
                                I think the govt will step in of sorts but they cannot cover the increase in the rates for the whole population and industry !! Not a chance, i agree we do not know how much, but we have a really good idea that it will be massive. If you do not work this out correctly you will be taking a lot more than...
                                14-08-2022, 21:11 PM
                                by Hudson01
                                I doubt very much you will get the house back by October, the tenant has been told the usual by the local authority and will put up a fight, so do not count on your plans going....... to plan. In terms of the guarantor, its in the lap of the gods, if all tickity boo, then great but any flaws at all...
                                14-08-2022, 21:02 PM
                                by NaomiB
                                The S21 required my tenant to leave by 18 April but she didn't so then had to apply to the court for an accelerated possession order. She filed no defence so I could apply for the possession order which I received at the end of July for her to leave 10 August. She hasn't so I have applied for the...
                                14-08-2022, 20:54 PM
                              Working...
                              X