What are best for references?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are best for references?

Written Work reference(from manager/personnel) + 3months bank statements?
    I would then check out the company that it exist

What else would be better... 3months pay slips?

What is standard to ask for?
    What do you ask for and what checks do you make on your tenants/lodgers?

Originally posted by BusyLandlord View Post
    Written Work reference(from manager/personnel) + 3months bank statements?
    I would then check out the company that it exist
    Bzzt! First, check out the validity of the employer AND the individual named as the line manager or whatever, THEN write to the firm for s reference. NEVER accept a written reference proffered by the applicant - could easily be forged. Don't assume the person named as line manager, whose direct dial number is coveniently provided by the applicant, is anyone other than the applicant's drinking buddy guy who works at the next desk.

I did this only today - looked up the applicants' employer on the internet; phoned their HR department and asked them to confirm who the line manager of X was - all checked out fine. Actually, if you use the right technique, it's surprising how much info you can get over the phone - I'm sure I should be told to bog off and put my request in writing, but that rarely, if ever, happens! Maybe it would happen more if there were 'issues' surrounding the applicant?, but typically people are very happy to tell me, a stranger, 'oh yeah, John's great, my best employee', or whatever

What else would be better... 3months pay slips?
    In terms of confirming income, I think either is fine. But if I get offered payslipd I always ask to see an original bank statement too, to check details of the bank account - it's one more ID confirmation, plus (potentially? not sure) a route to track down the tenant if they bugger off owing me money at some stage.

What do you ask for and what checks do you make on your tenants/lodgers?
    I ask for a passport or photo driving license for confirmation of ID; contact details for a character referee, current/previous landlord(s), previous employer if under 12 months, NI number (not sure why!), and a next of kin is useful to have on file too.

In addition to checking references, I always do a credit check (Equifax, via the RLA).

Comment

i usually ask for a minimum of two from the following:

3 months payslips
      3 months bank statements
      written ref from previous landlord
      written ref from one of my current (good!) tenants

in addition: a photo ID, date of birth and NI number, HB predetermination if necessary

I also ask all tenants to complete an 'incase of emergency' sheet with next of kin name, address, phone no, email address etc.

i've been offered 'character refs' from doctors to a vicar but really don't think they are worth the paper they are written on!

Pete

Comment

I take the following (in my personal capacity):
        3 months bank statements - it should show the salary and how much they are left with - can they afford the bills
        A letter confirming employment
        A copy of passport /id

I've given up on previous landlord references as they usually turn out to be fake, and character references normally just state 'how great my friend is'.
        Petillant

Comment

Thanks for our responding.

I have found in the past that just mentioning that I am checking their reference that some protential references decide that they don't want the place after all.

Calling HR and checking that the person is actually their manager is good. I will now ask for 3months bank statements, a pay slip & work reference.

Am I OK in being able to keep a copy of all of the above.. meaning especially the bankstatements + pay slips?

Comment

why dont you call your local independant letting agency and ask them to reference the tenants on your behalf.

Most reputable agents use companies such as Letsure, Homelet, FCC Paragon and i know certainly my company are happy to carry out references for landlords on their tenants for a small fee (and it is small believe me!!)

Comment

An independently verifiable reference from the previous landlord and the last but one landlord.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X