Clarification regarding S8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clarification regarding S8

I keep reading on this site that serving a Section 8 "may not work because tenant may pay up the missing rent, invalidating the notice" or comments to this effect.
    Surely this is only relevant if relying on Ground 8 of the Section 8? Does anyone have experience of the discretionary grounds being used successfully??

If the tenant pays the arrears and gets it to below the 2 months owing, then i think it does alter the situation...someone else on here will explain it better for you.

Comment

Originally posted by jinny View Post
      If the tenant pays the arrears and gets it to below the 2 months owing, then i think it does alter the situation...someone else on here will explain it better for you.
      Ground 8= big arrears (>2 months). It's mandatory. Arrears must exist (i) when Notice served and also (ii) at hearing date.

Grounds 10/11= small arrears or persistent late payment. They're discretionary.

T might therefore suddenly reduce arrears to <2mths., when served with s. 8 Notice citing g8. Always add g10 (and g11, if appropriate) to be on safe side.
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Thanks. I just wanted to clarify that it is the GROUNDS USED within the Section 8 that are relevant, not the Section 8 alone (the notice itself), which is what a lot of posts imply - and that a Section 8 can be used for discretionary grounds only (eg, Ground 10 and 11 by themselves).

For example, tenant pays rent late every month, therefore is not in arrears, but still issue Section 8 citing a Ground other than Ground 8...

Correct?

Comment

Yes but it could be a waste of time and money issuing this notiec. In this csae it is often easier to issye a section 21. If a tenant is consistenetly late and has more than 8 weeks arrears when you serve the notice BUT pays money to you at the court to get it below 8 weeks then having grounsd 10 and 11 in place may mean the Judge issuing an evitction. However if you only go on grounds 10 and 11 the Judge may feel you are being "petty" and not grant possession.
          GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• New House Is Filthy and Scruffy
            by emkat11
            Hi, I’m a new tenant and was just looking on some perspective.

I signed for a property via a Lettings agent recently, I was told upon signing the inventory showed some cleaning discrepancies however I don’t mind cleaning so was happy to proceed. I’d had a viewing and was told everywhere...
            16-04-2021, 17:46 PM
          • Reply to Sink blocked for almost 3 weeks
            by philg
            not too long ago i had a bath that would not empty , tried the usual sink unblockers to no avail. had to take all the drainage apart and clean it out ... it was old grouting that had blocked it and only physically cleaning it did the job . the op is quite right to inform the landlord and lets hope they...
            16-04-2021, 17:40 PM
          • Sink blocked for almost 3 weeks
            by sushi
            My kitchen sink has been blocked for almost 3 weeks.

The landlord/agent has been dragging his feet getting a plumber out and when someone did come, they confirmed my suspicions that it's something more just needing to pour some unblocker down (this is why I haven't called someone out myself...
            13-04-2021, 18:06 PM
          • Reply to Options if eviction ban is not lifted
            by nukecad
            Thanks jpkeates,

I was't sure at all how already having an existing PO and trying to start a new eviction process would work.
            But suspected that it wouldn't work. or would cause problems.
            16-04-2021, 17:24 PM
          • Options if eviction ban is not lifted
            by Perce
            Hello All

I am waiting for an eviction ban to be lifted but as time goes I lose hope that it will happen in the near future or ever. What then are our options to get our property back if the tenant never moves out ? My tenant won’t move out until bailiffs evict him. I have PO based...
            16-04-2021, 10:07 AM
          • Reply to Sink blocked for almost 3 weeks
            by Codger
            Usually heat is the best unblocker as it melts the fat. I get it dry then add boiling water from the kettle. But it wont melt candle wax.
            most plumbers would dismantle a sink waste pipe if theycouldnot unblock it.
            16-04-2021, 17:16 PM
          • Reply to Question about rented house extension
            by Neelix
            hit, nail and head.

I think the OP needs to have a clear mind about what they want to do and apply for planning ..............
            16-04-2021, 17:07 PM
          • Question about rented house extension
            by ss1981
            Hi all, I have a rented house - three bed end terrace, which has been rented to the same lady and her children for over a decade, with no major problems on either end.

There is a plot of land next to the house that I am currently in the process of purchasing off the council. I would like...
            13-04-2021, 17:30 PM
          • Reply to New AST under probate
            by PGTV
            There is a Will. Joint executor

grant probably within a 2-3months...
            16-04-2021, 17:06 PM
          • New AST under probate
            by PGTV
            Hi. Quick question

property portfolio is under probate.

the land-lady (Mum) used the family office address as the landlord address on the tenancy agreement, rather than her home address. Always did this for 20 odd years.

Under probate, I have to sign a new tenancy...
            16-04-2021, 14:51 PM
          Working...
          X