Help! New lodger, leaving unexpectedly, has paid in advance, but no notice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! New lodger, leaving unexpectedly, has paid in advance, but no notice

I'm new to letting out a room and already have a problem.I am a resident landlord, and my lodger moved in on 2nd June. He paid a deposit, and also paid (in fact, insisted on paying) 2 months rent in advance. Even though I only asked for one. Oh well, I thought, what a great guy.
    However, I have now recived a text messagee from him saying he is moving out tonight! and demands that I have his deposit and the excess rent ready for him in cash when I get home from work! Now, is was made clear at the start that 1 months notice would be required for him to leave. Under normal circumstancessit would be straightforward, but I don't know what to do about this excess rent that he paid. For one thing, I made the assumption that as he had paid for those 2 months already, at his insistance, he would be staying for at least 2 months. As a result that money has been spent, on bills and needed repairs to the house. The deposit remains unspent, but with that gone I will be out of pocket as it will take a while to find somone to move in (it took 6 months to get this lodger). I don't know what to do and I am not looking forward to the confrontation tonight - I live alone except for the lodger, I am a woman and he is both older and consideranbly bigger than me. What do I do? Am I required to return the rent for this month? He has given no reason or explanation as to why he is leaving immediately either. He has given no hint about his plan since he moved in.

Originally posted by pgilbert80 View Post
    I'm new to letting out a room and already have a problem.I am a resident landlord, and my lodger moved in on 2nd June. He paid a deposit, and also paid (in fact, insisted on paying) 2 months rent in advance. Even though I only asked for one. Oh well, I thought, what a great guy.
    However, I have now recived a text messagee from him saying he is moving out tonight! and demands that I have his deposit and the excess rent ready for him in cash when I get home from work! Now, is was made clear at the start that 1 months notice would be required for him to leave. Under normal circumstancessit would be straightforward, but I don't know what to do about this excess rent that he paid. For one thing, I made the assumption that as he had paid for those 2 months already, at his insistance, he would be staying for at least 2 months. As a result that money has been spent, on bills and needed repairs to the house. The deposit remains unspent, but with that gone I will be out of pocket as it will take a while to find somone to move in (it took 6 months to get this lodger). I don't know what to do and I am not looking forward to the confrontation tonight - I live alone except for the lodger, I am a woman and he is both older and consideranbly bigger than me. What do I do? Am I required to return the rent for this month?
    You should return his deposit (assuming he has caused no damage and left his room clean) but not the month's rent in lieu of notice which he owes you (2.7.12-1.8.12).

If he returns this evening you do not have to let him in. Consider having a friend present. Have all his belongings boxed and ready for him if you do not want him to enter the house.

However, the fact that it took you a long time to find a lodger does not really have any bearing on the situation.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

On the 2nd July, his 2nd months rent became due.
      If you are charging monthly, as opposed to weekly, he has no basis to claim any excess rent, as there is none.

If you feel unsafe, then you should have someone there with you. It is not his "fault" that you are a woman, and he is bigger than you.
      Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X