mattress in poor condition on move-in day.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mattress in poor condition on move-in day.

Hello everyone,

I have just moved into a fully furnished rented flat. As soon as I got the keys I went to inspect it.

Both mattresses are in poor condition (old, sagging, broken springs and one is stained with blood). I immediately reported this to the agency and added it to the inventory.

The agency has discussed with the landlord and the landlord has refused to change them.

My question is: is the landlord responsible for replacing the mattresses since they are obviously in very poor condition due to wear and tear and this wear was caused prior to my lease(probably 10/15 years old)?

Thanks a lot,

Unfortunately, there is no legal specification as to what must be provided in a 'fully furnished' home.

I presume these are the matresses that were in-situ when you inspected the property?

Comment

thanks for your reply.
      when we visited the property someone was living there's so the negresses were covered by bedding. however, when we went to inspect the flat after getting the keys we saw the mattresses and immediately reported them to the agency and asked for new ones.

Comment

Originally posted by losu View Post
        thanks for your reply.
        when we visited the property someone was living there's so the negresses were covered by bedding.
        I'm sure you don't mean that as it looks.
        I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

A bizarre typo indeed.

Unfortunately unless the inventory states that the mattresses are in better condition than they are, you do not really have a case for insisting on new ones. There might however be some mileage in negotiating for them to be professionally cleaned at LL's expense, as blood stained mattresses are unhygienic and unacceptable in a rental property.
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

I had to look it up, to double check. as I could not believe what I was reading...

negresses - noun dated often offensive
            a woman or girl of black African origin.

Comment

try to get over it - have a cup of tea
              Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

that's so boring and lame. try having some port..

Comment

well as we are drinking a malt whisky please

Comment

that's more like it. I have a bottle of Ballantine's in the cupboard

Comment

OP, why not buy/obtain your own mattress and take it with you when you leave? Ideally LLs mattress should be retained.

Comment

Originally posted by sparkie View Post
                        that's more like it. I have a bottle of Ballantine's in the cupboard
                        Just as long as you don't have to sit on a bloodstained mattress to drink it.
                        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Mattress topper ? You will need deeper sheets though.
                          I'm a good tenant with great landlords
                          I'm also a living, breathing, fully cooked female.

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                            Just as long as you don't have to sit on a bloodstained mattress to drink it.
                            I have drunk whisky in worse circumstances...

Comment

hi all thanks for the replies.

of course i didn't mean negresses- gotta love auto correct!
                              i rented a furnished flat because i don't want to buy furniture since i'll be leaving the country in a couple of months.

I've contacted the agent again, see if they can ask the landlord again.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X