New to being a private tenant....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to being a private tenant....

I am looking to rent privately for the first time in my life. I have always previously either owned property or been in social housing.

Following redundancy in 2009 i lost my house and picked up a CCJ in 2010.

I am currently in social housing, and it is awful. The other tenants in the complex all have "issues" either mental health, alcohol or drug related!
    Have stuck it for nearly 2 yrs but am now back in a good job with good prospects and want to look at moving somewhere a little less stressful!

I know i am going to face problems with my credit history (it was never great) especially with the CCJ and repossession on it.
    My father, who is 75, is willing to act as guarantor if required.

What are my chances of actually being successful through an agency?

Or am i better served going through landlords directly?

Your father would also need to pass checks to be a guarantor. If he is retired (probably taking his age into account), he may not qualify. Usual criertia is that the guarantor needs a high income and be a house-owner with sufficient earnings/assets, to cover his own living expenses and yours should you default.

Even private LLs would be foolish not to do credit checks etc on you, so I fear you may have problems all round. The key is to be honest and show you have left your "past" behind you. Discuss your situation upfront and declare you have previous creidt problems. If you don't, agencies will charge you for checks, and if you are rejected, you will lose these fees over and over, until you find someone willing to take you as a tenant.

Could you offer to pay 6 months rent upfront, to prove to any prospective LL that you are genuine?

Comment

Originally posted by LesleyAnne View Post
      Your father would also need to pass checks to be a guarantor. If he is retired (probably taking his age into account), he may not qualify. Usual criertia is that the guarantor needs a high income and be a house-owner with sufficient earnings/assets, to cover his own living expenses and yours should you default.

Even private LL's would be foolish not to do credit checks etc on you, so I fear you may have problems all round. The key is to be honest and show you have left your "past" behind you. Discuss your situation upfront and declare you have previous creidt problems. If you don't, agencies will charge you for checks, and if you are rejected, you will lose these fees over and over, until you find someone willing to take you as a tenant.

Could you offer to pay 6 months rent upfront, to prove to any prospective LL that you are genuine?
      My father is retired with a modest income from his occupational pension. He is a homeowner with no mortgage.

If he doesn't qualify then i have no one else i could ask.

I might be able to manage the 6 months upfront but couldn't guarantee it. Would it be simply a pre-payment of the next 6 months rent, or would it be a deposit type arrangement?
      If it was a pre payment i may be able to borrow it from my father and pay it back monthly....would have to pay it to the LL anyway.
      If it was a deposit basis, then i might struggle to raise 6 months worth.

I can understand why the checks are in place, but i am not convinced they do justice to people in these hard economic times. You have little control over redundancies and the resultant consequences, and i have spent nearly 3 yrs rebuilding my life from it....all i want is somewhere half decent to live, quietly, on my own and carry on with the rest of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Padfoot View Post
        I can understand why the checks are in place, but i am not convinced they do justice to people in these hard economic times. You have little control over redundancies and the resultant consequences, and i have spent nearly 3 yrs rebuilding my life from it....all i want is somewhere half decent to live, quietly, on my own and carry on with the rest of my life.
        Landlords are running a business in order to make a profit; they are not philanthropists and naturally want to do everything possible to protect themselves - so, given the choice between two applicants for a tenancy, one with a poor credit history and one with a good one, I'm sure you can understand why the second guy will get picked every time. Hard though that may be for the first guy to accept.

Comment

I have no credit history whatsoever and I'm self employed. My wife has a very poor credit score due to voluntarily going on a debt management plan. We have privately rented 3 properties over the last 8 years, all through well known letting agents, with no guarantor. We've been accepted everytime with no problem whatsoever.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X