No inventory!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No inventory!

We just rent a new house. Initially we were excited with the incomng movement. However, when we actually got to the house. We found out there are not enough necessary nventories to be used like microwave, wardrobe and shower etc! We did not notice the lack of the appliance at the viewings as the house is brand-new and furnitures were all unpack. The agents also inform us that there will be full furniture(of course the term canbe understand in very different ways). Now we did not sign the inventory form yet. What get we do? Can I ask the landlord to provide these things or else? Quite emergent. Thank you

What items are listed on the inventory?
    Fully furnished can still be quite basic, what was promised as standard? What part of UK and how much is the rent/month?

Could you please translate your post into English?

Comment

Originally posted by mariner View Post

Could you please translate your post into English?
      Ha! That's a bit rich, from someone who regularly has to be asked not to write in a personal code of abbreviations incomprehensible to to the rest of us...!

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...786#post379786

Which part(s) of OP's post do you consider not to be in English?
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by Daisicong View Post
        We just rent a new house. Initially we were excited with the incomng movement. However, when we actually got to the house. We found out there are not enough necessary nventories to be used like microwave, wardrobe and shower etc! We did not notice the lack of the appliance at the viewings as the house is brand-new and furnitures were all unpack. The agents also inform us that there will be full furniture(of course the term canbe understand in very different ways). Now we did not sign the inventory form yet. What get we do? Can I ask the landlord to provide these things or else? Quite emergent. Thank you
        Hi Daisicong,

Welcome to the forum. Don't worry, I can understand your English perfectly.

If the contents of the house are really important to you, you should have asked to see the inventory (which is just a list of items, by the way, not the items themselves), before you signed the contract.

In principle, the landlord is not obliged to provide anything additional to what is on the inventory unless he or his letting agent has promised (preferably in writing) to do so. Try contacting your Landlord and telling him that the agent promised it would be 'fully furnished'. 'Fully furnished' usually means (at least) beds, carpets, curtains/blinds, clothes storage, table & chairs, sofa, armchairs, fridge, freezer, and washing machine. The basics, in other words. It does not however refer to fixtures such as showers. Is there a bath?

How many people will be living in the house and are they students? (This might make a difference).

You can however get basic household equipment like microwave ovens very cheaply at big supermarkets like ASDA or Tesco and furniture/cooking equipment or stores like IKEA.. or free, via a local scheme called Freecycle. Put 'Freecycle' and the name of the town where you are living into Google.
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
          Ha! That's a bit rich, from someone who regularly has to be asked not to write in a personal code of abbreviations incomprehensible to to the rest of us...

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...786#post379786
          Oh dear, I think thats quite damning isn't it.
          My advice is not based on formal legal training but experience gained in 20+ years in the letting industry.

Comment

Daisicong

I agree totally with Mind the gap.

As you say yourself, 'fully furnished' can mean different things to different people, and there is no legal definition of what it means. It is too late now, but you could have asked to see a list of what was included before you moved in.

As mind the gap say, it may be worth talking to the landlord to see if he would provide more furniture, but he has absolutely no obligation to do so.

MTG suggests freecycle / supermarkets / Ikea, you may also want to put "recycled furniture {town}" into google as many charities and not-for-profit companies will sell second hand furniture that is still in good condition. If you buy anything electrical from such a place, make sure it is safe. I know BHF have any electrical items fully serviced and checked before sale, but I can not be sure for all charities.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X