Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mind the gap
    replied
    A soiled/stained mattress is not really 'fair wear and tear' (this kind of damage is preventable by using a mattress protector), although sunkenness may well be.

I'd expect a standard quality mattress to last 5 years in a tenanted property.

How much did the mattress cost to begin with?

Leave a comment:

• MSaxp
    replied
    just my personal view, I am no expert.

Can you look into replacing the zips? (I think clothes repair shops do stuff like that) or the cushions? Or at least ask for a reasonable contribution towards a new sofa

Not sure how long a matress should last. Some look into the typical warranties offered, could give you a hint. I would say a soiled matress is probably unreasonable damage. Completely random figure would be about a quarter of the replacement value (replacement including disposal). Are you sure the stains make it unusable and it cannot be cleaned?

Leave a comment:

• investor68
    replied
    Thanks!

Hello MSaxp,

Many thanks for your reply which is along the lines of what we were thinking, although it is hard to quantify what is fair recompense for broken zips on a sofa whilst accepting that the "wear" damage is probably fair.

The carpet was a good quality one though when put down and we had taken a look at the DPS website which used a 10 year rule of thumb for working out fair apportionments.

Did you have any thoughts, please, about the mattress at all - what would be fair here - some sort of contribution to a replacement or removal of the damaged one by the Ts when they leave?

The agreement and inventory has the usual wording that things should be returned in as good a condition as let, excepting fair wear and tear.

Thx again.

Originally posted by MSaxp View Post
    You havent tol us what you think and/or what the tenant thinks.

The rule I have in mind is that 'fair' is the wear and tear that is a result of normal usage for the tenancy duration. So IMHO, sofa worn, probably fair, carpets worn fair, marks on carpets, not fair, broken cushion zips, maybe not fair.

In order to come up with reasonable compensation you can use the proportion of the remaining life of the item. For example if the carpet in question was a low quality one, say it would live for 5 years. Hence the leftover life would now be 1.5/5 = 30%. Assume an equivalent new carpet now is £100 , then it is reasonable to ask for compensation of £30 if you intend to replace it due to the damage. I would say that if you would replace them anyway due to age / fair wear and tear, then maybe charging your tenants is somewhat too much.

I hope this makes sense and is along the lines of what you had in mind.

Leave a comment:

• MSaxp
    replied
    You havent tol us what you think and/or what the tenant thinks.

The rule I have in mind is that 'fair' is the wear and tear that is a result of normal usage for the tenancy duration. So IMHO, sofa worn, probably fair, carpets worn fair, marks on carpets, not fair, broken cushion zips, maybe not fair.

In order to come up with reasonable compensation you can use the proportion of the remaining life of the item. For example if the carpet in question was a low quality one, say it would live for 5 years. Hence the leftover life would now be 1.5/5 = 30%. Assume an equivalent new carpet now is £100 , then it is reasonable to ask for compensation of £30 if you intend to replace it due to the damage. I would say that if you would replace them anyway due to age / fair wear and tear, then maybe charging your tenants is somewhat too much.

I hope this makes sense and is along the lines of what you had in mind.

Leave a comment:

• investor68
    started a topic Damaged contents after long let - advice please

Damaged contents after long let - advice please

Hi,

I hope someone can offer some advice. We've let a property for the last 3.5 years. The tenants are now moving on.

On a preliminary viewing there were several things wrong with contents (which we've noted so far), which we think are beyond wear and tear.

Until now we have only done short lets where it was clearer to say what was acceptable and what wasn't in terms of damage or wear and tear.

We're not sure what we will just have to accept after such a long let and what it might be reasonable for us to claim as a contribution from the tenants towards putting right damage - please can anyone advise us?

We have a proper agreement, inventory and deposit in the DPS scheme.

MATTRESS
    The mattress was in very good condition when let and is now soiled and sunken. After this length of let do we have any claim back for some contribution to a new one? As this one can't be reused can we say Ts must remove it or pay for its removal?

SOFA
    The sofa has been destroyed - it was in fair condition at start of let but now cushion back zips are broken, extremely worn and cushions are flattened etc. What is fair to do here?

CARPETS
    Carpets are heavily soiled/stained in several areas. Not just normal traffic mark but pen, oil etc.

Haven't had to face these sorts of issues before so grateful for any advice on what is fair/reasonable to Ls and Ts.

Many thx in advance.

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X