X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short hold tenant question.

Hi,

I hope someone can help.

I have a flat which is let out on a 12 month short term hold agreement via an estate agent.

The tenant has been there since May 2001 and has been renewing the agreement each year.

A thought occurred to me last night, if the tenant stays there for a number of years will they have certain rights. I recall reading something once but am not convinced it applied to this country. In this case the tenant had some very powerful rights and basically did not have to leave the said property.

If the tenant’s rights do increase over a period of time does anybody know what they are and how many years this involves?

This may not be a valid issue but I’d like to know for peace of mind.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

AM

I don't think you need to worry. I assume the agreement you are referring to is an Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreement, and your tenant has no right to remain in residence beyond the term granted in the agreement should you not wish him to do so and you give him two months notice of this under section 21 of the husing act.

P.P.
    Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Hi P.P

Thanks for the reply, yes you are quite right, the agreement is a 12 month Assured Short-hold Tenancy agreement.

So just to clarify even though my tenant has been there since May 2001 and they [hopefully] carry on renewing these 12 month agreements for the next 5 years or so, she will have has no more rights than someone who'd only been there for 12 months in total, even though they’d been the tenant for 9 years or so. [I hope that makes sense]

Thanks again in advance.

Regards,

AM

Comment

You are correct - in fact there is no need to even renew the agreement! If you fail to do so, the law replaces your fixed term agreement with what is called a Statutory Periodic Tenancy which has identical terms to the one last signed except that you can ask your tenant to leave if you give him at least two months notice and he can do likewise if he gives you one month. You can also change the rent. On the other hand you may both appreciate 12 months security of tenure.

P.P.
        Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

P.P.

Thanks for your help and quick responses, it’s very much appreciated and its put my mind at ease somewhat.

Regards,

AM

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Buy to let research
            michael.blackmore
            Hello fellow LandlordZone members,

I am working on a product/platform that will give buy to let landlords/property investors increased control and financial clarity over their portfolios. There is limited research into the actual behaviour and knowledge within this area and I would therefore...
            22-01-2018, 09:19 AM
          • Competitive rent cuts
            JK0
            I'm still trying to let the flat with the green tiles. This was let in its un-renovated state for £700 in 2010, so I think £850 is reasonable now. Trouble is that there is an equivalent flat here in Reading that has been on the market since November for £795. Another one has just gone on the market...
            21-01-2018, 00:24 AM
          • Reply to Competitive rent cuts
            Interlaken
            Is that a storage heater in the hallway? I don't see the favoured words GFCH in the details - this could well be the problem of having it on the market in January.
            Could last tenants have left because they could not face another winter there?
            22-01-2018, 09:10 AM
          • Reply to Competitive rent cuts
            MisterB
            lol. I recently completed a complete refurb in magnolia, only for the boss to decide (in collusion with the 'selected' tenant) that it all needed to be shades of grey and a pink bedroom for her daughter,

of course I did as I was told, grumbling all the way, BUT to be honest (and as she...
            22-01-2018, 09:01 AM
          • Rent late because of “Hacked bank account”
            Katelydstep
            late Rent after only 3 months (just after Xmas - odd that!) and my LA firstly didn’t inform me, and now say that it’s because the tenants have had their bank account hacked.
            would it be confrontational for me to ask for a letter of confirmation from the bank re the hacking issue?. Have had...
            10-01-2018, 11:19 AM
          • Reply to Rent late because of “Hacked bank account”
            tatemono
            if you're in the northeast of England or northwest London, please PM me the agent's name... otherwise, thanks for sharing!
            22-01-2018, 08:51 AM
          • Reply to Rent late because of “Hacked bank account”
            islandgirl
            I did check with a solicitor. The advice was that until I was out of pocket I could do nothing. The AST stood. If tenants had not paid rent and I had made some form of loss I could sue agent for it. I was not happy at the time. Fortunately tenant was OK. I now tell everyone locally never ever to use...
            22-01-2018, 08:46 AM
          • Partner as Permitted occupier worries
            Lauren 1234
            Hi all

Apologies if this has been answered somewhere but u have looked everywhere and can' find an answer!!

My current landlord is selling their property so I have put an app in for a new one. I have been renting on my own for three years and not caused any problems my credit...
            21-01-2018, 12:28 PM
          • Reply to Partner as Permitted occupier worries
            mariner
            Credit ref checks are only required for signatory Ts or Guarantor, but as LL I would credit ref anyone wishing to reside in my property. Explain to LL/LA in writng (dated) that you apply as sole T, but you wish your named partner/bf as permtted occupier. LL can reject your T applicaiion.
            22-01-2018, 01:49 AM
          • tenant hasn't paid last months rent
            ferrari-airwolf
            Hi there I am in a bit of a weird situation. Basically, 1 month ago I handed my section 21 notice to the tenant to leave the property. the T should be moving out of the property mid February. The T has always paid on time and kept the house in a good and clean condition. However when I checked to see...
            21-01-2018, 13:25 PM
          Working...
          X