Letting Agent has Lost Keys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is a little strange that tenants seem more likely than owner occupiers to allow contractors into their homes, especially as the contents are equally at risk. Perhaps more tenants are out all day and also have the option of asking agents to sort out the problems. Some agents seem to be more helpful than others at accompanying and supervising contractors.

Comment

Originally posted by jicms View Post
      It is a little strange that tenants seem more likely than owner occupiers to allow contractors into their homes, especially as the contents are equally at risk. Perhaps more tenants are out all day and also have the option of asking agents to sort out the problems. Some agents seem to be more helpful than others at accompanying and supervising contractors.
      Since access to contractors must always be with the consent and co-operation of tenants, it follows that agents should not be handing out keys to all and sundry with instructions to 'go into number 26 and fix the electrics'.

Also, some agents are ignorant of the law and make no bones about telling tenants someone's coming to do maintenance, or whatever), and declaring 'It's on the contract, so you have to allow it'.

Some Ts (and OOs) will not allow tradesmen in their home without one of them being present, which is fair enough, especially if they have had not previous contact with that company. The problem arises when both/all Ts work full time and tradesmen are only available Mon-Fri, 9-5, or when the contractors will not attend when T is not present (Worscester Bosch engineers, for example). The T should not have to lose money when the repairing obligation is on the LL and in those cases it's my view that the LL or the agent should attend.

Obviously, most local tradespeople are completely honest and will wish to safeguard their reputation, but there are so many 'mobile' rogues out there that as a householder you can never be too sure. Interestingly, as a decorator I find some people will let me (a woman) have a key to let myself into their houses when they tell me they would not let a male tradesman have one. I cannot think women are any more or less honest than men, but that's the perception!
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X