they babysitting grandkids, extremely noisy children, landlord pleze give advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leaseholdanswers
    replied
    The term " voucher" was the give away; the OP is what is called "Section 8 Housing" .

Leave a comment:

• islandgirl
    replied
    You have to hear it to believe it MTG!

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
    mtg, you too are the Morse of Landlordzone
    Thank you!

For some bizarre reason, I first read that as the Moose of LLZ...probably connected with your unfulfilled promisea while back to do us an impression of said beast....

Leave a comment:

• islandgirl
    replied
    mtg, you too are the Morse of Landlordzone

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Er...that was however my first question in #2!

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
    Is your apartment in the UK or somewhere else?
    So there's no hope for the poor OP. American 3-6 year olds probably aren't entitled to free nursery education ... they don't have Labour governments and cradle to grave care over the pond...

Leave a comment:

• islandgirl
    replied
    spelling of neighbour should have given it away! Great sleuthing Mod2

Leave a comment:

• Moderator2
    replied
    The OP is posting from near Los Angeles, a ‘Google’ of “they babysitting grandkids” (with quotes) gives a few results, including;

http://forum.freeadvice.com/landlord...ce-580841.html

Leave a comment:

• westminster
    replied
    I suspect OP is not UK resident.

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by JK0 View Post
    Help2 you have my sympathy.
    Mine, too.

I do think though that some people are more affected by children shouting/screaming than others. I am hypersensitive to it now that all my children have grown up, although I don't remember being that sensitised to it when they were little. I like to think they didn't scream in that glass-shattering, high pitched nerve-jangling way some toddlers do now (usually in confined spaces like supermarkets), but perhaps they did! I hope not. It genuinely hurts my ears these days and makes me feel oppressed. I would not be willing to put up with it in the circumstances described by OP.

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    Help2 you have my sympathy.

My advice? Don't say anything. I was in the same situation as you once. A 3 year old neighbour was 'being minded' by another neighbour. However the 3 year old was allowed to run riot and do as he pleased.

He used to kick his football onto the pitched roof above my bay window, and let it roll down. One evening I went to have a quiet word with his father. The result? The problem became 3 times worse. On one occasion, I heard his parents try to pull him away.

He said: 'But I want to annoy the man.'

Follow MTG's advice about official routes, but for your own sanity, don't say anything to the family themselves.

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Is your apartment in the UK or somewhere else?

If in the UK, and if the noise levels are really unreasonable/excessive, then you can complain to the Noise Abatement Officer at your local council. They will ask you to monitor the noise (keep a log) and can require your neighbour to control the noise levels better.

That said, they are not usually called in for noise made by children. It is quite normal for children to run about for 3-4 hours at a time making noise and as long as they cannot escape from the garden, she should not have to supervise their play every minute of the day. Children need time to run about in gardens, shout and eat worms. If she is completely ignoring them for hours on end, that's different.

Have you tried talking to your neighbour? She might not even know how disturbing it is for you. (People with small children often don't realise!).

If she is unsympathetic/in denial, then you need to decide whether it would be worth having a word with the Children's Officer at Social Services. If she's letting them throw rocks around it does not sound as though she has much clue about safely looking after children, whether she's paid or not. If she is paid, then she is effectively running a childminding business from home which may not be allowed in her lease (are these retirement apartments, by the way, or just mixed occupancy?)...perhaps she could go to the children's own home and look after them there instead - at least some of the time? Suggest it to her.

Incidentally, any child of 5 years or more should be in school full time, and 3-4 year olds are usually entitled to a free half-time nursery school place - why are they with her all day every day?

Leave a comment:

• they babysitting grandkids, extremely noisy children, landlord pleze give advice

Hello, please if any landlord can give me advice on my situation. I am not a landlord. I am a voucher low income housing tenant.

I have a neighbor (who also a tenant) who she every weekday (5 days a week) from 8am to 6pm babysitting her grandchildren. I know this because everyday I see her son come to drop off the kids, and come to pick up the kids. This is in the daytime only 8am-6pm

I usually mind my own business, but the problem is everyday those 3 grandkids of her age from 3 to 6 year olds (usually morning-afternoon time) are running right outside my apartment stairs, trees, jump up and down, screaming, chasing each others, picking up rocks from trees, throwing rocks around. And very very loud, I sit inside my home use a sound recorder and I can even record their screaming voice.

I know she is babysitting her grandchildren, whether she get pay or not, I do not know. But her three grandchildren is very loud, again it is in daytime. Many people say I have no rights to tell to complaint since it is in the daytime, and they playing outside. Yes, but the outside is right at my apartment, and throwing rocks around under my apartment trees.

The grandma also sometimes do not watch the children, she would go inside cook or do her stuff and let the children run around for 3-4 hours making noise.
    Landlord, what can i do about this? I want to call my Management and tell them about this. I believe I have the rights to suspect that they might be babysitting and getting pay without reporting. Don't I have the rights to tell my doubt to the management so they can go look into this issue?

I understand they can have daytime guest, but 5 days a week of daytime babysitting guest is allow?
    Any inputs is really appreciated, thank you

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X