Agents wrongful renewal and tenants not paying.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agents wrongful renewal and tenants not paying.....

Hi,

Apologies for the long question, our situation has become quite complicated, and I have no idea what to do next!!

Our tenant began to pay late at the end of their 6 month AST. We told our managing agent not to renew the tenancy. They ignored this and renewed it anyway. The agents are being absolutely useless, but have admitted they should not have renewed it in writing to us.

Tenant has since been served a Section 8 notice on grounds 8, 10 and 11, but immediately paid a small balance of the rent, to stop the eviction proceedings. This has happened again this month, with enough of a payment being made to stop us serving another Section 8 notice.

Are the agents liable for the rent arrears, as they have gone against our wishes?

Is there any other way to get the tenants out?

Thanks for any help!

Liability:

The agents may be liable for any financial loss - but you would have to pursue the tenant for unpaid rent before you could prove a loss.

Paying a small balance doesn't stop you continuing with the section 8. Even if there is still less than 2months owing at the date of the hearing, you may still succeed under grounds 10 & 11.

You will have no need to serve a new s8, they are valid for 12 months.

Comment

you don't need to serve another section 8 - provided 2 months were owing at the time of service.

Post up the payment history as your post doesn't make sense to me - you suggest they are 2 months behind so you issue a section 8 and they pay a small amount. this month they must have paid nearly all their rent to not be still 2 months behind?

e.g monthly rent £100
      1st jan - Paid £0 owing £100
      1st Feb - £0 owing £200
      14th Feb section 8 issued
      19th Feb - £20 paid owing £180
      1st March - Paid £81 owing £199
      1st April - anything less than full rent and they are then 2 months behind again

Comment

or are you saying you had the hearing and they paid up then?

Comment

Payments are -

Due on 7th of the month, £600 a month.

Jan - paid £600, on the 26th Jan
          Feb - paid £600, on the 21st Jan
          Mar - paid £0 (owing £600)
          Apr - paid £0 (owing £1200)
          Served Section 8
          May - paid £969.20 on the 2nd May (owing £830.80 - agent told us we couldn't now continue with eviction)
          - paid £200 on the 18th May (owing £630.80)
          Jun - paid £200 on the 11th June (owing £1030.80)

What's the likelihood of being able to evict without them being at a full 2 months arrears?

Comment

Personally I'd wait until the end of the six months - server the S21 now and commence action on the 1st day possible. I'm assuming it will be less fuss and quicker in the end as I can see your tenants just bringing the the amount owing to under 2 months in time for any court hearing.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Letting Agent Withholding Key (Lease signed + rent paid)
              by HobbitShire
              Sorry but I must reitterate that she DID provide all documents which were initially requested before both parties signed the lease. This new, rigid requirement for a utility bill only came a day before the agreed move-in date.

This is not a case of a prospective tenant having no paper trail....
              20-01-2022, 01:28 AM
            • Letting Agent Withholding Key (Lease signed + rent paid)
              by HobbitShire
              My partner has recently signed a lease through a well known property agent in London.

The lease was also signed by the landlord. References from current + previous employer, landlord, etc, and proof of address were requested before signing, and provided.

Upon signing the lease...
              20-01-2022, 00:57 AM
              by HobbitShire
              Firstly, she already provided the previous lease, along with a document from the municipality of Amsterdam stating that she was registered as living there. I paid the bills as we were living together, and she has closed her Dutch bank account (as is required when you are no longer a resident). I'm sure...
              20-01-2022, 01:11 AM
              by Jon66
              No bank statements with the old address on? These are available freely from your online account, or previous utility bills, council tax bills etc. I find it difficult to accept that they are unable to provide something. I would have concerns if you were my prospective tenant. You need to provide the...
              20-01-2022, 01:02 AM
            • Reply to Property damaged. Advice please
              by minorbark
              When you put it like that I'm more inclined to edge towards the S21 route regardless. As much as part of me feels some compassion for the guy and doesn't want to lump more stress on top of someone who appears to be struggling already, as has been said before, none of us are acting as a charity.
              19-01-2022, 22:51 PM
            • Property damaged. Advice please
              by minorbark
              Apologies if something similar has already been covered elsewhere. I did try to search but couldn't find anything that matched my situation particularly closely. A huge thanks in advance to any of you who do take the time to read and advise.

TLDR version: Police have forced entry into my...
              18-01-2022, 21:55 PM
              by minorbark
              Thank you.

My initial contact with the police was just a phone call to the local station. As I almost half expected they wouldn't give up much info, I didn't particularly push back when they said as much and I left it at that. A formal complaint might fill in a few blanks in the story but...
              19-01-2022, 22:37 PM
              by Hudson01
              A back door way into finding out what did happen (or more info than you have now), is to ask for a callback from the local PCSO who covers the beat area where the tenant lives (go online and start a live chat), he or she will know far more about your tenant that a faceless comms operator at HQ or anyone...
              19-01-2022, 22:17 PM
              by DoricPixie
              Just because someone knocks on your door, even if it crescendos to them banging loudly on your door, it doesn’t mean you have to answer it or have to go and investigate.

If the tenant suffers from mental health issues and the police were sent round because someone thought the tenant’s...
              19-01-2022, 21:47 PM
              by WebLand
              From painful personal experience of this issue... You should formally contact the police, ask them why they broke the door down and ask for compensation. Their lawyer will then write to you with some information which may be useful for you to know (but not giving very much detail). I expect they'll...
              19-01-2022, 21:31 PM
            Working...
            X