Water leak and black mould

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water leak and black mould

Sorry if this is long but I'm starting to panic and wanted to get all info out. Six weeks ago we noticed our shower had started to drip into the tray, it's close to the bed and was quite noisy so told our LL who said to get it fixed and he would reimburse us. We got three free quotes from plumbers which took two weeks - they said shower would need replacing but as it was dripping into the tray should cause no longterm issue - all the white stuff around the shower was black when we moved in so wasn't getting any worse.

Went on holiday, came back and gave our LL notice (1 month as we're on a rolling contract after nearly 4 years) - he knew this was coming as we had discussed it when we started looking for somewhere bigger months ago. Heard nothing in response to letter or text that confirmed what letter had said so assumed maybe he was a bit annoyed we'd found somewhere - not like him to not respond.

Last week we had a plumber come round to replace shower, when they took the shower off the wall said leak was actually caused by copper pipe protruding from wall being dented at the end - we have no idea how that happened as they said you could not damage that without damaging the shower on top of it, if pipes were old could just happen over time? Best way to fix would be through the back wall (hallway) but we had the agent coming round at the weekend to measure up and photograph so arranged for them to come back this week. They removed the shower from the wall and made sure the leak would not continue.

This week they got into the wall to find the leak must have gone inside the wall as well as into the shower tray as there is black mould all over the plasterboard - this didn't smell until they got ino the wall but now stinks and I don't think it can be cleaned? Have kept all windows open overnight. Our plan was just to have a builder patch up the hole in the wall and give LL all bills, now I don't want to just put the wall back and leave it as I think it's a big problem but what can I do? Can we be made to pay for all this or would he have insurance? I am scared we will lose our deposit, have no idea what to tell him, and am worrying sick the flat is ruined and I feel bad enough for leaving never mind leaving a mess! He has been good to us and never put our rent up but I'm afraid he might change now he knows we are leaving....

I'm just dealing with similar myself.

If the plasterboard is so badly affected the builder can remove it and replace with waterproof board and re-tile. Leak needs to be stopped and all re-sealed - not exactly and total re-build. Should take no longer than 1 day.

Did you have an inventory and if so did it mention the sooty mould in the shower as it sounds like this has been going on sometime.

You can either tell LL or fix it at your own expense. LL may say you should have noticed it earlier or he may be happy and pay or go halves with you. Now you have got to the root of the problem just get it done.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Pay for the initial inspection callout, get agent round asap to see for self, get written report from plumber, give LL repair bill, after informing him of problem & cost before work commenced or let him engage his own tradesman for rebuild

Comment

Interlaken - yes we had an inventory and it is all listed there - that was from almost four years ago so yes some time! As soon as we knew it was a big problem we went without a shower for 5 days and that's the only one we have - we haven't dragged our feet on it. The pipework goes over the wooden board so that would mean having everything we've had fixed pulled back out, but we had no other choice but to get the pipes done, that or no water at all for as many days as it would take to fix.

Mariner, we have paid over £200 for the work so far, the agent is coming to sell the property - it wasn't a managed tenancy AFAIK - never had an inspection or anything from them. The plumber has done his bit as far as I can tell, we now need a builder for the rest, but it could cost hundreds which we can't afford to risk - we are moving in 2 weeks and need to buy lots for the new place. Would my LL not be insured against this? Other flats in the block hsve problems with flooding each other and damp from what they have told me.

Comment

You need to inform the landlord. He has not acted correctly by not inspecting regularly and can't take all your deposit over that.

Best thing is to be upfront - show you have made some attempt at repair but now he needs to make a decision.

LL may be insured but it sounds like negligence on his part to me.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Thanks - I have no idea what to say - should I email him? I am gutted both for us and him that this has happened. The smell is fading now but I still think it needs looking at properly.

Comment

"I have no idea what to say - should I email him?"

Send email & snailmail letter to LL, stating a named plumber has investigated the leaking shower as per LLs instruction and found a slow leak in shower feed pipe in the cavity wall which requires LLs immediate attention due to black mould growth on the internal plasterboard.
              Without a move-in inspection, not much LL can do to your deposit esp if you provide plumbers report that they removed section of wall to diagnose problem at a second visit.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X