au pair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

au pair

we had some prospective new tenants view our property last night -nice couple with a young toddler and a live in au pair
    regarding their contract, is it a joint tenancy between all 3 adults or is a different contract drawn up?
    thanks in advance

Well I wouldn't want my staff to have equal right to tenancy as myself. How on earth would one relieve them of their duties if they were not up to scratch ?
    I'm a good tenant with great landlords
    I'm also a living, breathing, fully cooked female.

Comment

Regarding the au pair - take copy of passport and make sure person looks like the photo and remains to be that person.

A couple of years ago I had the case of differing Filipino women who were allegedly the same au pair and the same scenario with the wife of the Brit who was lead tenant. It all got very confusing and ended in eviction. Somehow the whole thing was a scam to get these women into the UK.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Brb - yes of course you're right, hadnt thought that angle through!
        Interlaken - thanks for the advice, it wouldnt have crossed my mind that a scam like that would occur...am a very fresh faced newbie landlord i'm afraid!

My letting agent has said that there will just be a joint tenancy agreement between the husband and wife, but not 100% sure what happens if they (or me) want the au pair to leave and she refuses to go...

Comment

Au pair would be the tenants Lodger so removal from the property would be very easy - in comparrison to a proper tenant. Not good news for the Au pair but that's not your problem or concern.
          There is always scope for misinterpretation.

If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.

Comment

I'm not sure she'd even be their lodger, as she wouldn't (presumably) be paying them any rent. She would simply be a live-in employee. Like your own offspring, but more useful.
            'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

As above - tenancy in couples name.

If couple want to remove au-pair, it is easy - but their problem.
              If you want to remove au-pair, well you can't, short of evicting the tenants.

If you wanted to complicate matters, you could have her on the tenancy agreement as a 'permitted occupier' but I am not convinced that has any legal significance.

Comment

thank you so much for your replies, that has very much put my mind at rest.
                lol at mindthegap's post!

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                  Like your own offspring, but more useful.
                  LOL that reminds me of my daughter's comment when picking up the post. A flyer for home cleaning services. Her little face lit up and quickly suggested we employ a cleaner. She was quite put out that the answer was no.

Comment

Originally posted by Brb View Post
                    LOL that reminds me of my daughter's comment when picking up the post. A flyer for home cleaning services. Her little face lit up and quickly suggested we employ a cleaner. She was quite put out that the answer was no.
                    Ha! We still look back nostagically to the days when our youngest (then aged about 5) vowed he was never going to leave home, he was always going to stay with us and look after us 'when you can't walk any more' (?!) and best of all, he was going to cook us a 'slap-up meal' every night. (I doubt he knew the meaning of the phrase - just liked the sound of it!)

Now 20, he certainly makes a beeline for the fridge as soon as he's home, but his infant desire to be our live-in cook, butler and pot-washer seems to have worn off. The odd bit of toast, perhaps.

it seems to me that as soon as children are old enough to be of any practial use around the home, they suddenly lose interest in it.
                    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                      Ha! We still look back nostagically to the days when our youngest (then aged about 5) vowed he was never going to leave home, he was always going to stay with us and look after us 'when you can't walk any more' (?!) and best of all, he was going to cook us a 'slap-up meal' every night. (I doubt he knew the meaning of the phrase - just liked the sound of it!)

Now 20, he certainly makes a beeline for the fridge as soon as he's home, but his infant desire to be our live-in cook, butler and pot-washer seems to have worn off. The odd bit of toast, perhaps.

it seems to me that as soon as children are old enough to be of any practial use around the home, they suddenly lose interest in it.
                      LOL it annoys the hell out of my child that I tell her that it is the parents' duty to teach their children life skills so that they can leave home and know what to do. The first time she attempted to put her own duvet cover on she insisted that I did not need to show her how to do it and that she's "not stupid ya know!". Well forward twenty minutes I find her actually crying because she has been unable to do it and wails "I'm never leaving home!!" (haha) She now thinks she's some sort of victorian slave child and I'm a miserly grump that makes her do housework.

I remember a childhood of doing chores. Yes they bored me stupid but I did them without any back-chat nor a look on the face resembling someone chewing a whole raw onion (I would have gotten the belt if I had).

(Although secretly I do wish I earnt enough to justify the cost of a cleaner).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Dogs
                        by ash72
                        The good thing is they have asked you prior to getting one, so the decision is yours. If you do decide then I would suggest you increase rent to compensate for your loss in the future.
                        05-12-2021, 17:21 PM
                      • Dogs
                        by Bridge2020
                        My tenant has asked if he can get a dog. Where do I stand on this ?...
                        05-12-2021, 11:23 AM
                      • Reply to Been living in my own BTL...
                        by ash72
                        I would first of all see if the lender you currently have your BTL if they do any residential mortgages, simply looking on their website, if they do then this may be good news as they may transfer you over onto a residential mortgage. If they don't then you need to speak with a mortgage broker who can...
                        05-12-2021, 17:19 PM
                      • Been living in my own BTL...
                        by eshjie
                        I have only just realized the pickle I have got myself into. And would like some advice.

In Jan/Feb 2021 I split up with my long term partner and moved out. My flat (which I lived in originally) which was previously let out to a tennant was empty and so I moved back in as I had nowhere...
                        05-12-2021, 14:57 PM
                        by boletus
                        Speak to an independent mortgage broker before doing anything.

It's an unintentional mistake.

The Hunter blacklist is mainly used to frighten the children.
                        05-12-2021, 16:49 PM
                      • Reply to Dogs
                        by jpkeates
                        I wouldn't, but it does depend on what type of dog.
                        You should assume your carpets will all need replacing.
                        05-12-2021, 16:21 PM
                        by jpkeates
                        The lender won't repossess initially.
                        If they're unhappy, they'll "ask" for the mortgage to be repaid, they'll only repossess if you can't repay the mortgage.

There's a risk you'll be blacklisted anyway.
                        05-12-2021, 16:16 PM
                      • Reply to STA, Section 8 and Court delays/Christmas
                        by jpkeates
                        Assuming it's an AST (STA's are Scottish)...
                        You don't have to renew the tenancy, just let it become periodic.
                        And, you're right, don't renew it.

To repossess, you'll either have to attend court or pay a solicitor to do so on your behalf.

If the tenant doesn't owe...
                        05-12-2021, 16:13 PM
                      • STA, Section 8 and Court delays/Christmas
                        by Noisette
                        Hello, I'm hoping to clarify a few points with landlords who've had experience of non-payment of rent and Section 8 notice. Background: We emigrated in 2007. UK house sale fell through, but we've had good tenants under an STA renewed annually since 2012. In summer 2020, they had difficulties paying...
                        05-12-2021, 13:59 PM
                        by eshjie
                        Thanks for the reply. Yeah this sounds like the right thing to do.

Thankfully I have enough in investments to pay off this property (flat) otherwise I'd be really panicking. Worse case it they tried to repo i could cash eveything out and pay to keep the property.

Really don't...
                        05-12-2021, 16:12 PM
                      Working...
                      X