au pair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

au pair

we had some prospective new tenants view our property last night -nice couple with a young toddler and a live in au pair
    regarding their contract, is it a joint tenancy between all 3 adults or is a different contract drawn up?
    thanks in advance

Well I wouldn't want my staff to have equal right to tenancy as myself. How on earth would one relieve them of their duties if they were not up to scratch ?
    I'm a good tenant with great landlords
    I'm also a living, breathing, fully cooked female.

Comment

Regarding the au pair - take copy of passport and make sure person looks like the photo and remains to be that person.

A couple of years ago I had the case of differing Filipino women who were allegedly the same au pair and the same scenario with the wife of the Brit who was lead tenant. It all got very confusing and ended in eviction. Somehow the whole thing was a scam to get these women into the UK.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Brb - yes of course you're right, hadnt thought that angle through!
        Interlaken - thanks for the advice, it wouldnt have crossed my mind that a scam like that would occur...am a very fresh faced newbie landlord i'm afraid!

My letting agent has said that there will just be a joint tenancy agreement between the husband and wife, but not 100% sure what happens if they (or me) want the au pair to leave and she refuses to go...

Comment

Au pair would be the tenants Lodger so removal from the property would be very easy - in comparrison to a proper tenant. Not good news for the Au pair but that's not your problem or concern.
          There is always scope for misinterpretation.

If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.

Comment

I'm not sure she'd even be their lodger, as she wouldn't (presumably) be paying them any rent. She would simply be a live-in employee. Like your own offspring, but more useful.
            'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

As above - tenancy in couples name.

If couple want to remove au-pair, it is easy - but their problem.
              If you want to remove au-pair, well you can't, short of evicting the tenants.

If you wanted to complicate matters, you could have her on the tenancy agreement as a 'permitted occupier' but I am not convinced that has any legal significance.

Comment

thank you so much for your replies, that has very much put my mind at rest.
                lol at mindthegap's post!

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                  Like your own offspring, but more useful.
                  LOL that reminds me of my daughter's comment when picking up the post. A flyer for home cleaning services. Her little face lit up and quickly suggested we employ a cleaner. She was quite put out that the answer was no.

Comment

Originally posted by Brb View Post
                    LOL that reminds me of my daughter's comment when picking up the post. A flyer for home cleaning services. Her little face lit up and quickly suggested we employ a cleaner. She was quite put out that the answer was no.
                    Ha! We still look back nostagically to the days when our youngest (then aged about 5) vowed he was never going to leave home, he was always going to stay with us and look after us 'when you can't walk any more' (?!) and best of all, he was going to cook us a 'slap-up meal' every night. (I doubt he knew the meaning of the phrase - just liked the sound of it!)

Now 20, he certainly makes a beeline for the fridge as soon as he's home, but his infant desire to be our live-in cook, butler and pot-washer seems to have worn off. The odd bit of toast, perhaps.

it seems to me that as soon as children are old enough to be of any practial use around the home, they suddenly lose interest in it.
                    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                      Ha! We still look back nostagically to the days when our youngest (then aged about 5) vowed he was never going to leave home, he was always going to stay with us and look after us 'when you can't walk any more' (?!) and best of all, he was going to cook us a 'slap-up meal' every night. (I doubt he knew the meaning of the phrase - just liked the sound of it!)

Now 20, he certainly makes a beeline for the fridge as soon as he's home, but his infant desire to be our live-in cook, butler and pot-washer seems to have worn off. The odd bit of toast, perhaps.

it seems to me that as soon as children are old enough to be of any practial use around the home, they suddenly lose interest in it.
                      LOL it annoys the hell out of my child that I tell her that it is the parents' duty to teach their children life skills so that they can leave home and know what to do. The first time she attempted to put her own duvet cover on she insisted that I did not need to show her how to do it and that she's "not stupid ya know!". Well forward twenty minutes I find her actually crying because she has been unable to do it and wails "I'm never leaving home!!" (haha) She now thinks she's some sort of victorian slave child and I'm a miserly grump that makes her do housework.

I remember a childhood of doing chores. Yes they bored me stupid but I did them without any back-chat nor a look on the face resembling someone chewing a whole raw onion (I would have gotten the belt if I had).

(Although secretly I do wish I earnt enough to justify the cost of a cleaner).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Section 8 on tenants without deposit
                        by dereham
                        Hello all

Is it difficult to evict a tenant (section 8 rent arrears) if they didn't pay a deposit when they moved in?
                        It might be a silly question - I know it's a massive issue not to have protected a deposit when it comes to eviction but I can't find any info about cases where there...
                        02-12-2021, 11:30 AM
                      • Reply to End of tenancy questions
                        by leasee123
                        So is it best to serve section 21 together with a section 13? As that is the only way to ensure I can get the rent increase?...
                        02-12-2021, 09:56 AM
                      • End of tenancy questions
                        by leasee123
                        Hi,

I am a landlord and the current tenancy is coming close to the end of the AST fixed period. I am unsure what the process is when it comes to things like increasing rent and section 21 etc. I am using an agent for tenant find and they do the negotiating with the tenants (and of course...
                        01-12-2021, 21:08 PM
                      • Reply to Alternative ways to enforce a Peaceable Eviction
                        by bob369
                        I wish to gain a court order for eviction, can that be sought in advance of the approaching Notices end date, or does he need to become a 'hold over' tresspasser before I can apply.
                        Apologies that is a typo, if it wasn't for the infernal 'Moderator Approval' system being so pedantic I would have...
                        02-12-2021, 09:54 AM
                      • Alternative ways to enforce a Peaceable Eviction
                        by bob369
                        Hi,

A Lodger (Excluded Occupier) needs to be excluded as his Notice Period has expired (one calendar month), and he refuses to leave

I understand Police will not get involved to remove him, even though he is tresspassing, understand they view this as Civil not criminal....
                        24-11-2021, 23:16 PM
                        by jpkeates
                        You can charge them any rent that they agree to pay, otherwise, your only option to unilaterally increase the rent is a s13 notice.

The s13 notice includes an appeals process, so you can't simply "evict" someone by charging a ludicrous rent....
                        02-12-2021, 09:50 AM
                      • Reply to Granting a very long AST (to a family member)
                        by Section20z
                        The flat's lease will likely prohibit lettings of more than a year (or class it as an assignment)
                        02-12-2021, 09:44 AM
                      • Granting a very long AST (to a family member)
                        by meehr
                        For a variety of reasons a family member is considering renting out their leasehold flat to a cousin for a long period of time - to provide security they want to grant a very long AST, like 8 years (till kids have left home basically). They both want to do this for security and avoidance of argument...
                        01-12-2021, 23:27 PM
                        by leasee123
                        But what happens if tenants don't leave (when it was originally agreed they would), can I charge them the higher rent? Because a section 13 would not have been served (given it was agreed they would leave at the end of the fixed term) would I still be allowed to charge them a higher rent?
                        02-12-2021, 09:43 AM
                      • Reply to who's repsponsibility
                        by jpucng62
                        Tenants often don't have the tools to manage large foliage or dispose of it. If I could do it without too much effort I probably would or offer to arrange for it to be done & pass on the cost. It is definitely their responsibility.
                        02-12-2021, 09:20 AM
                      Working...
                      X