Getting lumbered with £1000 of other peoples bills!!!! Help please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dcroissant View Post
    Who does the deposit get returnered to on the property?

Also, I'm not sure the LL can withold moneys for bills not in their name and it's not their money to withold (I'm always happy to be proved wrong
    We each paid a deposit for our room, so my deposit would be returned to me, each housemates deposit would be returned to them.

We each have seperate contracts with the landlord.

Comment

Rough & ready solution -
      Take last quarterly bill paid
      divide total due in pence by total units used to give av cost/unit used
      Subtract previous last reading from reading taken when someone leaves (total units used to date)
      Divide by number of Ts liable for bill
      then multiply by av cost / unit for 1 persons contribution to that date.
      Not 100% accurate but better than being left with total bill!

If LL is not resp for utility bills, he cannot deduct cost from deposit IMO. The named account holder would be held totally resp.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Section 8 on tenants without deposit
        by dereham
        Hello all

Is it difficult to evict a tenant (section 8 rent arrears) if they didn't pay a deposit when they moved in?
        It might be a silly question - I know it's a massive issue not to have protected a deposit when it comes to eviction but I can't find any info about cases where there...
        02-12-2021, 11:30 AM
      • Reply to End of tenancy questions
        by leasee123
        So is it best to serve section 21 together with a section 13? As that is the only way to ensure I can get the rent increase?...
        02-12-2021, 09:56 AM
      • End of tenancy questions
        by leasee123
        Hi,

I am a landlord and the current tenancy is coming close to the end of the AST fixed period. I am unsure what the process is when it comes to things like increasing rent and section 21 etc. I am using an agent for tenant find and they do the negotiating with the tenants (and of course...
        01-12-2021, 21:08 PM
      • Reply to Alternative ways to enforce a Peaceable Eviction
        by bob369
        I wish to gain a court order for eviction, can that be sought in advance of the approaching Notices end date, or does he need to become a 'hold over' tresspasser before I can apply.
        Apologies that is a typo, if it wasn't for the infernal 'Moderator Approval' system being so pedantic I would have...
        02-12-2021, 09:54 AM
      • Alternative ways to enforce a Peaceable Eviction
        by bob369
        Hi,

A Lodger (Excluded Occupier) needs to be excluded as his Notice Period has expired (one calendar month), and he refuses to leave

I understand Police will not get involved to remove him, even though he is tresspassing, understand they view this as Civil not criminal....
        24-11-2021, 23:16 PM
        by jpkeates
        You can charge them any rent that they agree to pay, otherwise, your only option to unilaterally increase the rent is a s13 notice.

The s13 notice includes an appeals process, so you can't simply "evict" someone by charging a ludicrous rent....
        02-12-2021, 09:50 AM
      • Reply to Granting a very long AST (to a family member)
        by Section20z
        The flat's lease will likely prohibit lettings of more than a year (or class it as an assignment)
        02-12-2021, 09:44 AM
      • Granting a very long AST (to a family member)
        by meehr
        For a variety of reasons a family member is considering renting out their leasehold flat to a cousin for a long period of time - to provide security they want to grant a very long AST, like 8 years (till kids have left home basically). They both want to do this for security and avoidance of argument...
        01-12-2021, 23:27 PM
        by leasee123
        But what happens if tenants don't leave (when it was originally agreed they would), can I charge them the higher rent? Because a section 13 would not have been served (given it was agreed they would leave at the end of the fixed term) would I still be allowed to charge them a higher rent?
        02-12-2021, 09:43 AM
      • Reply to who's repsponsibility
        by jpucng62
        Tenants often don't have the tools to manage large foliage or dispose of it. If I could do it without too much effort I probably would or offer to arrange for it to be done & pass on the cost. It is definitely their responsibility.
        02-12-2021, 09:20 AM
      Working...
      X