Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letting Agents

Hello All,

My wife and I are expats and have rented our home out in the past through letting agency(s). Unfortunately we have not had much luck with the 3 sets of tenants recommended.

Questions

1) Despite being reassured Tennant has a guarantor we were spectacularly unsuccessful in obtaining guarantor details to pursue a claim. What obligation has the letting agent to the LL in passing on these details?
    2) Why do letting agents charge the landlord a ‘setup’ fee and why do such fees vary?
    3) Why do letting agents charge the LL a fee for arranging for the deposit to be held and why do these fees vary?
    4) As a LL am I entitled to see the credit report of a prospective tenant which has been obtained by a letting agent?
    5)We have found that a tenant can refuse to pay the last month’s rent and elect to have this rent offset against the deposit. Often this means there is no money left in the event of damages. How can we avoid this in the future?
    6) Where can we find a reputable letting agent in the Liverpool which offers an independent arbitration service in the event of a dispute

1. This should be provided at start of tenancy. Check your agreement with Letting Agent as they may be breaking it. Presumably they lied to you about Guarantor.
    2. LA charge "Tenant Finder Fees" due to the visits, photos, advertising, calls, etc.. Then switch to management (say 10% of rent) after. Fee's vary, as they are set by the LA.
    3. LA charge "Deposit Fees" due to having to liaise with these agencies... We don't charge this fee though, a bit excessive.
    4. Your only entitled if LA has permission from T to provide you with the report. It should be in the "Tenancy Application" that permission to share info with Landlord.
    5. Tenant can not refuse to pay last months rent and ofset it against deposit, its a term in our standard tenancy agreement. I suggest you change it, otherwise their is no point in collecting a "deposit" to safeguard against damage.
    6. Id perhaps visit a landlord event in liverpool and ask other landlords.

Comment

Originally posted by YesAdam View Post
      4. Your only entitled if LA has permission from T to provide you with the report. It should be in the "Tenancy Application" that permission to share info with Landlord.
      Landlord is entitled to see any and all documents related to the tenancy. Data protection act does not apply between landlord and his agent on matters related to the tenancy as agent acts in behalf of his principal.

Originally posted by YesAdam View Post
      5. Tenant can not refuse to pay last months rent and ofset it against deposit, its a term in our standard tenancy agreement. I suggest you change it, otherwise their is no point in collecting a "deposit" to safeguard against damage.

Tenant is liable for the rent, for any damage beyond wear and tear, and for any other obligation set forth in the tenancy agreement. The deposit is a security for the performance of these obligations.

When tenancy ends and tenant vacates landlord can propose deductions to deposit, and/or sue to recover any amount owed.

Thus, in my view such clauses are either useless or dangerous.
      Useless because, at best, the result is the same as without the clause.
      Dangerous because, depending on the wording, the clause can actually prevent the landlord from recovering owed rent from the deposit.

Comment

Item 5. That is understood. The problem is the tenant normaly refuses to pay the last months rent. Agreement from the LL is not required. :-). The deposit is to cover damages and outstanding rent. If there is any damage we then have to pursue through the courts. Seems a bit pointless asking for a deposit against damages when it can effectivly be used to pay the rent.

Is there any way around this.

Comment

I don't think that tenants 'normally' refuse to pay the last month rent.

Originally posted by zipit View Post
          Is there any way around this.
          Ask for more than one month rent as deposit, and hope that tenants do not adjust their non-payment of rent accordingly...

Comment

Originally posted by jjlandlord View Post
            I don't think that tenants 'normally' refuse to pay the last month rent.

Ask for more than one month rent as deposit, and hope that tenants do not adjust their non-payment of rent accordingly...

In the context of 'based on our experience' - I'm afraid they ‘normally’ do.

Really nothing to stop them since it’s impractical/expensive pursuing them for damages where some of the deposit would have covered the cost.

Your suggestion is appreciated athough for the reason you already imply as a possibility - we are not sure it's a solution.

Comment

You cannot make your tenants pay their rent. What you can do is lower the risk by trying to select the best tenants you can. (and ask for more than a month rent as deposit)

If your tenants 'normally' withhold the last month rent, I would be asking myself what tenants your agents find for you, and perhaps what is the reputation of the agent...

Comment

At least if you take more than 1 months rent as deposit, you get an extra month to deal with any adjustment the tenant is making.
                Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Originally posted by thesaint View Post
                  At least if you take more than 1 months rent as deposit, you get an extra month to deal with any adjustment the tenant is making.
                  I'm not being pedantic. What is there to stop the tenant making a simailar ajustment?

We are responsible LL's who rent out our own home - it is in our own interest to ensure it is maintained correctly.

We are being asked by various agents to pay a fee to protect the tenants deposit. Why? It's not our money?

Comment

We are being asked by various agents to pay a fee to protect the tenants deposit. Why? It's not our money?
                    It may not be your money, but it isn't the agents either. Why should they do the work required to protect it (admittedly minimal work) for no reward?

Just being pedantic, if you are renting out your own home, then you don't need deposit protection because your occupants would be lodgers. Of course, you probably don't rent out your own home - it may have been your home in the past, now it is merely a business asset. An agents fees are a business expense, pretty much like an accountant or a solicitor (but with less qualifications!).

Comment

Originally posted by jjlandlord View Post
                      You cannot make your tenants pay their rent. What you can do is lower the risk by trying to select the best tenants you can. (and ask for more than a month rent as deposit)

If your tenants 'normally' withhold the last month rent, I would be asking myself what tenants your agents find for you, and perhaps what is the reputation of the agent...
                      Understand your comment. Some of the questions I've asked originally should give you some idea of why we are asking for advice with regard to letting agents.

In so far as we can - we have ensured the letting agent(s) have been 'reputable'. I'm sure they were. It's the abdication of responsibility when things go wrong that we seem to be having a problem with.

The initial cost of protecting a deposit, the initial cost of finding a tenant, the management fees, the cost of repairs, the cost of statutory certificates - we fulfil these obligations. However, we are dependent on the agent to minimise the risk of non-payment/damage restitution and ensuring the tenant is responsible and can be held accountable.

Even after all of this - the onus is still on us to make good the losses or legal costs when things go wrong. We have found it difficult to find out how the tenant was vetted in the first place and be able to question the letting agent even though we paid a fee.

It seems that the agents are more interested in the person that pays the rent rather than the person who owns the asset that they derive an income from?

Holding them accountable is expensive and difficult. Much prefer, given that their fees are derived from our asset that they take some responsibility contractually.

Comment

I'm not being pedantic. What is there to stop the tenant making a simailar ajustment?
                        If you read what I wrote, I actually was making the point that you would have an extra months notice that they were playing that game, not that you can stop them doing it.
                        Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

If you feel that the agents have not complied with their contractual arrangements, and that you have suffered a loss as a result, then write to them saying what you think they haven't done and what this has cost you. If they won't recompense you for your loss then you sue them for the losses that they caused.

However, I feel that in your case, the line of responsibility between agent and tenant is slightly blurred - essentially, if rent isn't paid, that is the tenants responsibility, the agent can not make them pay.

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
                            It may not be your money, but it isn't the agents either. Why should they do the work required to protect it (admittedly minimal work) for no reward?

Just being pedantic, if you are renting out your own home, then you don't need deposit protection because your occupants would be lodgers. Of course, you probably don't rent out your own home - it may have been your home in the past, now it is merely a business asset. An agents fees are a business expense, pretty much like an accountant or a solicitor (but with less qualifications!).

It's the tenant's money. Why is the LL being asked to pay a fee to protect it? Name me one other product where someone else has to pay to protect my money? In any event, given there is a fixed fee to agents for such a service - why do different agents charge different prices. I've been quoted £55-00 per year for such a service?

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that by renting out your own home tenants are somehow lodgers. Are you being obtuse?

Not sure why you would compare accountants a solicitors with letting agents? The former are regulated by professional bodies where they can be held accountable more easily in law. As you rightly say – they also hold professional recognised qualifications. In so far as I’m aware anyone can be a letting agent?

I’m not going to get into an argument about this. It’s all a bit subjective. You get responsible LL, you get responsible tenants and you get responsible LA’s.

I’m posting as a responsible LL- If we were not – We would be accountable to the tenant in law. If you know of a responsible letting agent nationwide/Liverpool – we would be grateful for your input.

Comment

Originally posted by thesaint View Post
                              If you read what I wrote, I actually was making the point that you would have an extra months notice that they were playing that game, not that you can stop them doing it.
                              I did read what you wrote. My intial question was how can I stop it happening. Did you read what I wrote?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Section 8 on tenants without deposit
                                by dereham
                                Hello all

Is it difficult to evict a tenant (section 8 rent arrears) if they didn't pay a deposit when they moved in?
                                It might be a silly question - I know it's a massive issue not to have protected a deposit when it comes to eviction but I can't find any info about cases where there...
                                02-12-2021, 11:30 AM
                              • Reply to End of tenancy questions
                                by leasee123
                                So is it best to serve section 21 together with a section 13? As that is the only way to ensure I can get the rent increase?...
                                02-12-2021, 09:56 AM
                              • End of tenancy questions
                                by leasee123
                                Hi,

I am a landlord and the current tenancy is coming close to the end of the AST fixed period. I am unsure what the process is when it comes to things like increasing rent and section 21 etc. I am using an agent for tenant find and they do the negotiating with the tenants (and of course...
                                01-12-2021, 21:08 PM
                              • Reply to Alternative ways to enforce a Peaceable Eviction
                                by bob369
                                I wish to gain a court order for eviction, can that be sought in advance of the approaching Notices end date, or does he need to become a 'hold over' tresspasser before I can apply.
                                Apologies that is a typo, if it wasn't for the infernal 'Moderator Approval' system being so pedantic I would have...
                                02-12-2021, 09:54 AM
                              • Alternative ways to enforce a Peaceable Eviction
                                by bob369
                                Hi,

A Lodger (Excluded Occupier) needs to be excluded as his Notice Period has expired (one calendar month), and he refuses to leave

I understand Police will not get involved to remove him, even though he is tresspassing, understand they view this as Civil not criminal....
                                24-11-2021, 23:16 PM
                                by jpkeates
                                You can charge them any rent that they agree to pay, otherwise, your only option to unilaterally increase the rent is a s13 notice.

The s13 notice includes an appeals process, so you can't simply "evict" someone by charging a ludicrous rent....
                                02-12-2021, 09:50 AM
                              • Reply to Granting a very long AST (to a family member)
                                by Section20z
                                The flat's lease will likely prohibit lettings of more than a year (or class it as an assignment)
                                02-12-2021, 09:44 AM
                              • Granting a very long AST (to a family member)
                                by meehr
                                For a variety of reasons a family member is considering renting out their leasehold flat to a cousin for a long period of time - to provide security they want to grant a very long AST, like 8 years (till kids have left home basically). They both want to do this for security and avoidance of argument...
                                01-12-2021, 23:27 PM
                                by leasee123
                                But what happens if tenants don't leave (when it was originally agreed they would), can I charge them the higher rent? Because a section 13 would not have been served (given it was agreed they would leave at the end of the fixed term) would I still be allowed to charge them a higher rent?
                                02-12-2021, 09:43 AM
                              • Reply to who's repsponsibility
                                by jpucng62
                                Tenants often don't have the tools to manage large foliage or dispose of it. If I could do it without too much effort I probably would or offer to arrange for it to be done & pass on the cost. It is definitely their responsibility.
                                02-12-2021, 09:20 AM
                              Working...
                              X