Death of Landlord - Urgent advice needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Death of Landlord - Urgent advice needed!

Hi there

I am due to move into a rental property this coming Saturday but yesterday received a phone call from the letting agents saying the landlord had passed away.

We signed the tenancy agreement 7 days before his death but the lease itself does not begin for another 3days. ANy ideas what my rights are if the family decided not to let the flat, and can they do that?

My current lease expires on Saturday and I have arranged for a removals van. If I can't move in I will be homeless with a van full of belongings but nowhere to go.

Please help!!

If they withdraw from the agreement then the estate will be liable for any costs that their withdrawal causes you. If it went to court, you would be expected to prove that you had kept your costs to a minimum.

This may seem like an obvious question - but why would you not be able to stay in your current home?

Comment

I would call the letting agent and ask them if anything had changed.
      Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

AFAIK, the landlord's death does not 'cancel' the contract, i.e. the contract for the tenancy still stands, you still have the right to insist on proceeding with the tenancy, and if you are refused, you would have a claim against the landlord's estate for breach of contract for your losses consequent on the breach (e.g. cost of temporary accommodation, cost of storing your belongings, etc, until you can find a new place to move into).

Comment

Thank you for your help - I have to move out of my current home as my lease ends on Sunday and another tennant is moving in.

The lettings agent is being really unhelpful and not returning my calls. It may be that thefamily are more than happy to continue with the agreement but I wanted to know a little more about my rights if they do try to back out.

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by julia_london View Post
            Thank you for your help - I have to move out of my current home as my lease ends on Sunday and another tennant is moving in.
            If you had to, you can stay in your current property. When your fixed term expires, you are automatically given a 'statutory periodic tenancy' by section 5 of the 1988 Housing Act. This may have financial consequences depending on whether you gave notice or not, but those would be reasonable financial losses (ie what you could claim against the landlords estate) as opposed to a week or fortnight in the Ritz, which wouldn't.

Of course, that means your current landlord would be on here next saying 'my new tenant can't move in - what do I do', and one of the things we'd say is that it was silly of him to grant a tenancy without having possession of the property. However, not your problem.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your situation.

As stated above your new contract is still valid, could you perhaps go into the LA and chat face to face?

My advice would be to plan to move as you have but don't surrender keys to your current place until you actually have your new place keys.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Deposit Negotitations with Landlord
                by jpkeates
                The process seems to have changed recently.
                The landlord claims from the deposit and that claim should have a summary of what they are claiming and why.
                You dispute that and then you both have one chance to explain your side of the story.
                But you do that with only access to what the...
                18-09-2020, 13:57 PM
              • Deposit Negotitations with Landlord
                by Maymiss
                I am moving out of my rented home shortly, i have caused some damage which I notified the landlord of when it happened and they have recently visited to discuss the cost of repairs, which we have agreed. The landlord is now asking that I pay this money to them directly. It is not possible for the work...
                03-08-2020, 11:47 AM
              • Reply to Section 21 issued with new tenancy
                by jpkeates
                Every notice escalated to court is recorded and the figures published quarterly, so breaking out the s21 notices from the s8 shouldn't be complicated.

Two of the links are to House of Commons research papers, to be fair!...
                18-09-2020, 13:51 PM
              • Section 21 issued with new tenancy
                by fmST1
                When a new tenant moves into a property, I get them to sign a section 21 so that if whatever reason things don’t work out, the necessary paperwork is already in place.
                I’ve never had a need to exercise this yet, but would it work?...
                11-09-2020, 08:43 AM
              • Reply to Part furnished
                by jpkeates
                It depends on your local market.
                Mine seems expect a fridge freezer and washing machine as an "unfurnished" property.

Blinds not curtains and it varies - usually whats been left behind (have had to add some blind safety hook things in the past).

Check ads for...
                18-09-2020, 13:48 PM
              • Part furnished
                by Chester Perry
                Our property was let part furnished however upon leaving the Ex. tenant took it upon himself to relieve us of the white goods and wooden blinds.

The dishwasher, washing machine, 2 x fridge freezers and wooden blinds throughout were actually ones purchased when the property was our main...
                18-09-2020, 13:34 PM
              • Reply to Housing First - what are your thoughts?
                by boletus
                What are your arrears, ASB, and eviction rates as a % of all tenancies?
                18-09-2020, 13:41 PM
              • Housing First - what are your thoughts?
                by LandlordLiaisonOfficer
                Hello,

I work for a homeless charity and I am hoping you don't mind me bending your ear and gaining some landlord insight on a model we are imminently implementing for some of our service users.

Traditional housing models within the homeless sector require the service user...
                18-09-2020, 12:32 PM
              • Reply to Guarantor agreements
                by AndrewDod
                I suppose the real questions is not "what tricks do I need to try to get around these potential massive risks"
                but rather
                a) "how much extra premium should I charge on rents to offset these massive risks" - 10%, 50% ?
                and
                b) What criteria does a potential...
                18-09-2020, 13:33 PM
              • Guarantor agreements
                by CHARLIEMAN
                Hi all,

I am asking a prospective tenant to provide a guarantor and was wondering how the deed should be dated with regards to the term of the tenancy. The tenancy will be a 6 month assured shorthold agreement but I would want the guarantor to continue to act for the duration of the periodic...
                16-09-2020, 14:22 PM
              Working...
              X