Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Access to tenant's room for repairs

Hi all,

Great forum by the way, such a valuable resource and one I wish I had found a lot sooner!

Anyway, just wondering if someone could help with a dilemma I have? I rent out a property on an HMO basis. One of the tenant's tenancy ends at the end of June and I've been having a lot of trouble finding a new tenant.

The feedback I've been getting from prospective new tenants who have viewed the room is that the walls look grubby and it needs painted - it is a basement room and I think the lack of natural light maybe makes this look worse than it really is - in addition to other minor things such as some of the bedroom furniture needs to be replaced. So, I'd really like to paint the room asap in the hope that I avoid a period where I have no tenant for the room.

However, I sent left a message and sent an email to my tenant last week to arrange a convenient time and she's got back to me yesterday to say that although she doesn't mind the furniture being replaced, she isn't prepared to let any workmen, it would be my husband, to have access to paint the room.

The reasons she's given for this are that she hates the smell of paint and feels it would be unsafe to sleep in a freshly painted room, she thinks it would be a hassle to her to have to remove her things from the room while it gets painted (I've told her we'd use dust mats etc) and she feels that as she's moving out soon the repairs aren't going to be of any benefit to her.

I do understand where she is coming from, however, the TA states that she is to allow access for repairs at all reasonable times. She's counteracted this by saying that four weeks before the tenancy is due to end isn't reasonable, that the repairs are cosmetic and not essential - although I've pointed out that the TA doesn't differentiate - and she is adamant she isn't going to give access.

Where do I go from here? I've tried to reason with her and am more than willing to agree to a day at the drop of a hat that is completely convenient to her, but she isn't having it. Not carrying out the repairs could be the difference between me losing a month's rent or finding a tenant sooner.

Thanks in advance for any help.

IMHO a paint job that is meant to improve the 'rentability' of the room, is not a repair. And I would think there i nothing you can do to enforce such a clause right now anyway. You cant just get in the room if she doesnt allow it.

I would agree with the tenant that it is a hassle I wouldnt want, a few weeks before moving out and sleeping in a freshly painted room is not ideal. Cant you throw in something (like a discount) to convince her? On the other hand, if you paint it the next day after she is gone, there is no reason why you will not be able to find a new tenant in a few day's time. Where is the whole month coming from?
    All views posted reflect my personal opinion only and do not constitute professional advice which I am not qualified or knowledgeable enough to provide.

Comment

You are not making repairs, you are decorating for cosmetic reasons.

If she won't let you in, there's little you can do about it.
      No one likes voids, but they should be factored in to your accounts.

Why would you lose a months rent?
      Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

No, you're right, I may find a new tenant in a few day's time after painting the room when she moves out.

It's just in my experience it's been much easier to find a tenant who is looking to move in on the 1st July or the 1st September, there has tended to be a bit of a lull in between - I should say I usually rent to post-grad students and young professionals.

Discount is an option I could maybe consider. Also, I should have been a little clearer, the TA states that the tenant has agreed to allow access at all reasonable times to carry out not just repairs but alterations. Would this make a difference?

Comment

Originally posted by Liz_70 View Post
          , the TA states that the tenant has agreed to allow access at all reasonable times to carry out not just repairs but alterations. Would this make a difference?
          Yes, it will make it much easier for you to get a court order to make the tenant give you access. However, getting a court order before 1st July is - optimistic.

Comment

Thanks for the help.

I think if an offer of a small reduction in the last month's rent doesn't help, I will just have to wait until she's moved out.

I am a little more pleased that the fact the TA states that access for alterations must be provided indicates that I at least appear to be 'in the right'. The tenant may not know that achieving a court order before she moves out is unrealistic and so I might use this as a bargaining tool - would the costs of a court order be passed on to the tenant/what are the costs?

Comment

The cost would be £175 and it is possible (maybe even probable) that those costs would be awarded against the tenant - making them pay you back may be a different issue!

Comment

Would I have to actively pursue for payment or would the court not enforce the tenant to make a payment e.g. through a CCJ, attachment of earnings etc?

Helpful to know for the future but given the circumstances and hassle involved I have no intention of trying to obtain a court order against this tenant.

Comment

I don't feel you're in the right and that it is unreasonable to expect a paying T the inconvenience of moving their belongings and putting up with the smell. It is also a worry for the T if they knock the brand new paintwork whilst moving out, you risk complicating any deposit deductions.

My bed isn't easily moved and is very expensive. I would go absolutely nuclear if a speck of paint got onto it and would initiate a court claim for £3K in 8 days flat (after a letter before action of course). What happens if T claims that you damaged their property ?

It will be easier to paint once the room is empty anyway. Should only take a day.
                  I'm a good tenant with great landlords
                  I'm also a living, breathing, fully cooked female.

Comment

Would I have to actively pursue for payment or would the court not enforce the tenant to make a payment e.g. through a CCJ, attachment of earnings etc?

Helpful to know for the future but given the circumstances and hassle involved I have no intention of trying to obtain a court order against this tenant.
                    The court makes the order. If he tenant pays within 14 days, they don't get a CCJ. If they don't, you have to enforce it (at cost). This article covers your options: http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010...force-judgment

Obtaining such an order is perfectly possible - however, I have never come across a landlord who has considered it worthwhile.

IMHO a 2 week void or so between tenants is preferable and should be included in any financial planning.

Comment

Thanks for the help.

I think if an offer of a small reduction in the last month's rent doesn't help, I will just have to wait until she's moved out.

I am a little more pleased that the fact the TA states that access for alterations must be provided indicates that I at least appear to be 'in the right'. The tenant may not know that achieving a court order before she moves out is unrealistic and so I might use this as a bargaining tool - would the costs of a court order be passed on to the tenant/what are the costs?
                      Little if any chance of getting a court order for a tenant refusing LL access(No known cases),only chance of getting a court order is down the s21 route and so on...

Just wait to the tenant leaves and do the painting then,less stress for you...

Good luck....
                      Thunderbirds are go

Comment

Originally posted by 45002 View Post
                        Little if any chance of getting a court order for a tenant refusing LL access(No known cases)
                        Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
                        Obtaining such an order is perfectly possible - however, I have never come across a landlord who has considered it worthwhile.
                        I was specifically thinking of 45002's outlook on this issue when I wrote the above

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
                          I was specifically thinking of 45002's outlook on this issue when I wrote the above

Blimey,im shocked,must be the weather......................lol
                          Thunderbirds are go

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Rent Rises in 2020
                            by DPT57
                            Well if the market rent for your properties has increased and you think that there would be a good prospect of re-letting quickly and there is a low risk that your existing tenant will stop paying rent altogether then from a business point of view, it makes sense to increase the rent. Having said that,...
                            22-09-2020, 14:57 PM
                          • Rent Rises in 2020
                            by jpucng62
                            I cancelled all my annual rent increases when Covid hit. Since then some people have really suffered financially and others haven’t. In addition LHA rates have increased substantially for anyone needing support which appears to have had the knock on effect of increasing the rent of properties now...
                            19-09-2020, 17:48 PM
                            by jpucng62
                            Where I rent properties (Beds / Northants / Nottingham) rents have risen substantially and availability has fallen. So my question is still, 6 months on from everyone being told to stay at home and with normality of work returning for many tenants (I accept not all) and many people not unduly financially...
                            22-09-2020, 14:44 PM
                          • Reply to Tenants possessions left in abandoned property
                            by MR M
                            I did consider approaching a Tracing Agent to try to obtain the Tenant's current whereabouts or updated information about them but the feeling is that it is not worth initiating this yet as its too soon. They may not show-up as having set-up elsewhere yet or have generated updated information about...
                            22-09-2020, 14:10 PM
                          • Tenants possessions left in abandoned property
                            by MR M
                            The tenancy is a statutory periodic tenancy after the original AST ended. The tenant has rent arrears and a S21 was issued around 3 months ago. There is no deposit and an EPC, gas safety certificate and how to rent guide were all issued previously to the tenant.

I believe that the tenant...
                            16-09-2020, 10:03 AM
                          • Reply to Renovation/Improvements vs Repairs / Maintenance
                            by newtenant9011
                            You can prevent the landlord from entering, as you have a right to quiet enjoyment, you can even replace the locks if you would like.

In turn, the landlord could issue you a section 21 notice, but the notice period is 6 months currently plus the court backlog.
                            22-09-2020, 14:08 PM
                          • Renovation/Improvements vs Repairs / Maintenance
                            by thesleepingdog
                            Hello,

I am having A LOT of trouble with my LL who is continually asking to carry out improvements on the property. It is literally nonstop and it has got to the stage where I am utterly fed up and want to leave.

During my tenancy he has replaced all the windows in the house,...
                            22-09-2020, 13:22 PM
                            by DPT57
                            In my part of London there is no market justification for rent increases and imo increased individual landlord costs is not a reason to raise them....
                            22-09-2020, 14:07 PM
                          • Reply to Rats
                            by ChrisDennison
                            These are very interesting comments, one of my councils (South West) told me they had to stop these services unless in public areas.
                            22-09-2020, 12:35 PM
                          • Rats
                            by ETB
                            I have a tenant who has reported that he can here rats in the walls and ceiling of his 4th floor apartment. He says there are other complaints on the tenants facebook group. I have messaged the maintenance company (Name removed) but they are not replying. Just wanted to check who is liable, I'm assuming...
                            21-09-2020, 22:15 PM
                          Working...
                          X