Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bereaved Estate

Hi,please can someone offer advise,

I am joint executor of my mother in laws will.The other executor is her son who has been living in her house with my deceased mother in law for 4 years prior to her death.Does he have to pay rent whilst he is living there?The will stipulates that the esrtate is to be shared 50% to the son that still lives in her house and the remaining 50% to be split between her other 2 children.Also he has satted that he is unable to obtain enough funds to payout his brother and sister and he will not sell the house as he and his 2 children will have nowhere to live.Can i enforce the sale as he is joint executor or will it have to go to probate court?

What other assets/debts did MiL have at time of death? Mortgage, savings a/c, shares, bookies tab etc.
    If her house was the only or majority asset, then the Executors can force sale, unless prevented by a clause in the Will, without recourse to any Court. Executors should act in a timely manner to distribute funds to ALL beneficiaries, usually within 1 year of Probate being granted. Ideally no beneficiary should be an Executor, as they may not be impartial in any dispute.
    Ideally if house was 50% of assets, then son could inherit house and forego any distribution of other assets, which would be divided equally between the other 2 children. If resident son cannot 'buy out' the other beneficiaries, then tough, he will inherit 50% from sale and other assets to fund alt accom.
    Of course all 3 beneficiaries could decide on an alt arrangemnt, which if legally documented & within terms of deceased's Will, would be binding on the joint Executors.
    Executors have to treat principle beneficiaries equally & fairly, without undue delay. If there is dispute between Execs & main bens, then an Ind prof Exec eg solic, can be appointed, paid for by the Estate. You could call a meeting of the 3 bens and hammer out a solution, with you acting as impartial chairperson/Executor seeking a solution. Whatever YOU decide make sure it is legal, as any ben could sue the joint executors.
    I assume you are married to one of the 3 bens, so be careful!

As for son paying rent, if the property is to be sold asap then currently he appears to be a lodger (excluded occupier) with no T rights so accepting rent may establish an AST. Any market rent received by the Estate before distribution of assets, would have to be distributed 50% to son and 50% to other 2 bens after deduction of any tax due. IMO

Comment

As mariner suggests, if the house is the main asset it looks like a family conference is needed to work out a solution. If agreement cannot be reached the house will have to be sold. Demanding rent at this stage is not a good idea as it may lead to complications and whatever is decided it is reasonable that the son should be given a reasonable time either to sort out finance or to find alternative accommodation. If the son does buy out the others' shares an independent professional valuation is recommended.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X