Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dispute over Deposit

Hi All,

I moved out of a property in August 2011 and have still not received my deposit back. After much chasing the landlord has finally answered my attempts of contact and come up with a list of charges, such as cleaning and repairs, to claim that I should surrender my deposit.

My questions are,

What if any proof should a landlord supply to prove a cost has been incurred which can be deducted from a deposit? i.e. receipts from cleaning companies or photography evidence?

If the landlord doesn't notify the tenant of a dispute in a timely manner does the deposit then automatically become the property of the tenant again? Essentially, because the landlord has left it so long before telling me the deposit is in dispute has he forfeited any right to make deductions?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated
    thanks
    A.

A LL is not required to provide any invoices, only his estimate of cost.
    If it goes to Court, then judge will decide if estimates are reasonable, based on move-in/out inventories less allowance for fair wear & tear.
    I fear your only recourse may be to sue LL for return in County Court.
    If deposit was ever protected, after 9 months I would expect LL to have acquired it by the 'single claim' procedure. If so, the scheme should have attempted to contact you first, if you provided them with a tel/txt no.

Comment

Please tell us i) is the tenancy in England and Wales?; ii) when did the tenancy begin?; and iii) do you know if the deposit was held in an approved government scheme and if so were you ever provided with information about the scheme and its rules? Answer these and we can help you further
      Disclaimer:

The above represents my own opinion, derived from personal knowledge and should not be relied upon as definitive or accurate advice. It is offered free of charge and may contain errors or omissions or be an inaccurate opinion of the law. I accept no liability for any loss or damage suffered as a result of relying on the above.

Comment

Ok so,
        i) the tenancy was in England
        ii) it began in August 2010
        iii) I received no information that the deposit was in any scheme at all, in fact, the deposit was held with the agency and transferred to the landlord without warning, informing or consent.

Thanks again,
        A

Comment

Originally posted by zanzan View Post
          If the landlord doesn't notify the tenant of a dispute in a timely manner does the deposit then automatically become the property of the tenant again?
          The deposit is always the property of the tenant. It is held as security by the LL. If LL/T fail to agree on any deductions, then T may claim in the county court for return of his money; the LL would have to counter-claim for any alleged damage/unpaid rent, etc.

Essentially, because the landlord has left it so long before telling me the deposit is in dispute has he forfeited any right to make deductions?
          It's not quite a case of a 'right to make deductions', but a right to claim he has suffered a loss, entitling him to keep some or all of the deposit.

LL has at least six years in which to claim against you for any alleged loss.

If you want your deposit back, then bring a claim against the LL, asking for him to refund the deposit. You can start a claim at Money Claim Online. If the deposit is less than £5K, it will be allocated to small claims track of the county court, where the court fees are low and you don't need a solicitor to represent you - it's meant for people DIYing their claim.

Comment

Do you remember signing a condition report at the start of the tenancy?
            Are any of the claims the landlord wants to make against your deposit valid?

You need to write a 'letter before action' to the landlord (not agent) telling him what you want (return of £X within Y days) why you want it, (because you dispute any incorrect claims the landlord is making) and what will happen if he doesn't comply (legal action).

Then if he doesn't comply, you sue for the disputed amount.

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
              Do you remember signing a condition report at the start of the tenancy?
              Are any of the claims the landlord wants to make against your deposit valid?

You need to write a 'letter before action' to the landlord (not agent) telling him what you want (return of £X within Y days) why you want it, (because you dispute any incorrect claims the landlord is making) and what will happen if he doesn't comply (legal action).

Then if he doesn't comply, you sue for the disputed amount.
              Thanks for the words of advice it's greatly appreciated.

We did fill out and sign something that documented the condition of the apartment when we moved in. Some of the claims made are valid, they equate to around a quarter of the total claim.
              I'll draft a letter in the morning and see where it gets me.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Tenant taking issue with "lateness" of inspection.
                by MdeB
                It is their property because you have leased it to them.

I too would have been annoyed if you had entered my property without my permission....
                18-09-2020, 19:50 PM
              • Tenant taking issue with "lateness" of inspection.
                by SamCartman
                We gave 4 working days notice to our tenant of entry to inspect, and specified 2pm to meet with them at the property.
                We arrived 20-25 minutes late due to traffic and rung the doorbell with no answer, so we used our keys to get in and ran a brief inspection in their absence which was fine. ...
                18-09-2020, 15:43 PM
              • Reply to Section 21 issued with new tenancy
                by MdeB
                My experience:
                1. The only S21 notice I have issued, the tenants left when the notice period ended.
                2. A friend of my wife received a S21 notice (it appeared invalid in about 8 ways when she gave me details) after sho posted on her social media page a photo and question about mould in her toddler's bedroom.
                18-09-2020, 19:40 PM
              • Section 21 issued with new tenancy
                by fmST1
                When a new tenant moves into a property, I get them to sign a section 21 so that if whatever reason things don’t work out, the necessary paperwork is already in place.
                I’ve never had a need to exercise this yet, but would it work?...
                11-09-2020, 08:43 AM
              • Reply to Part furnished
                by jpucng62
                So what do they do with their furniture between these 'owned houses'?

Just because you experience is different to mine doesn't make my view of renters any stranger than yours. It is based on 20 years of tenants who have all happily supplied their own furniture. I accept that it is not a...
                18-09-2020, 19:37 PM
              • Part furnished
                by Chester Perry
                Our property was let part furnished however upon leaving the Ex. tenant took it upon himself to relieve us of the white goods and wooden blinds.

The dishwasher, washing machine, 2 x fridge freezers and wooden blinds throughout were actually ones purchased when the property was our main...
                18-09-2020, 13:34 PM
                by cuttingman
                It's not their fault they are on holiday when you want to inspect. Hopefully they don't install some hidden cameras and you can prove the notice of inspection was received by the tenant.

It's a good thing the girl doesn't have a hearing problem and was having a shower when you walked in...
                18-09-2020, 19:34 PM
                by AndrewDod
                Well the words you use "tenants agreed that it would be okay and would be at home" does NOT suggest a simple permission to enter.

I'm not 100% sure what you are aiming for here - but I would just apologise and say that you will clarify the extent of permission next time....
                18-09-2020, 19:32 PM
              • Reply to Housing First - what are your thoughts?
                by MdeB
                If you are imminently implementing it, then isn't it a bit late to be seeking landords' views?

Does that have any inherent meaning, or is it from a buzzword generator?

I think this is the wrong place to be looking for landlords that might be willing to...
                18-09-2020, 19:19 PM
              • Housing First - what are your thoughts?
                by LandlordLiaisonOfficer
                Hello,

I work for a homeless charity and I am hoping you don't mind me bending your ear and gaining some landlord insight on a model we are imminently implementing for some of our service users.

Traditional housing models within the homeless sector require the service user...
                18-09-2020, 12:32 PM
              Working...
              X