Ridiculous cooker situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ridiculous cooker situation

The oven and grill part of the cooker in one of our tenanted properties broke.
    The Landlord was informed and we sent out our engineer to have a look. He was unable to repair it as the thermocoupling (whatever that is) had gone and as the cooker was a very cheap Argos model, he said it would be more economical to replace it.
    I passed on this to the Landlord, who was not happy as the cooker is 2 yrs old.
    Anyway, to cut a long story very short, our engineer had to write a report to Argos (£40) and now we have to wait 2 weeks for them to muse over it and get back to us.
    The report clearly states that it is just 'one of those things' and not a manufacturing fault or abuse by the tenants.The Landlord was informed of this.
    All in all, this has taken 3 weeks so far and the tenant has not been able to use the oven, which would not be so bad if she didn't have 4 kids!
    It is going to be at least another week before Argos get back to us and say that the Landlord needs to buy another oven.
    I feel so sorry for the tenant.
    The oven is part of the AST and I want to ask the Landlord for a rental reduction next month but she will say no as she has spent £40 on an engineers report and had to buy a new cooker.
    Is there anything we can do legally here?

Does the tenancy agreement make the landlord responsible for repairs to appliances?

(Don't forget it is the landlord that pays the agencys fees - not the tenant!)

Comment

Yes. The Landlord is responsible in this case.

Comment

Many agancies have a limit under which they don;t have to seek the landlords permission do do works (ie to save landlord being bothered every time a tap washer needs changing!). Does your agency agreement have such a clause, and is it worded to cover such situations?

Comment

In our Terms of Business, it is stated that we can use £200 for any emergencies, (such as burst pipes)if we are unable to contact the Landlord for any reason. It would not be used in this case.

Comment

Do you work for the landlord, or the tenant?
            Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

The Landlord of course but I am also human and these are very good tenants that any Landlord would love to keep happy! What a strange question to ask.

Comment

If you read your opening post as someone working on behalf of the tenant, it makes more sense, so not a strange question by any means.
                Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

I don't think it is a strange question - hence my comment in post #2.

The thing is, this is the landlords business (not your agencys) and it is up to him how he manages the landlord/tenant relationship. If he chooses to treat the tenants with a degree of disinterest and that causes the tenants to leave earlier than they would otherwise have done, that is the landlords choice and it is the landlord who has to deal with the consequences (or pay you to do so).

It may be that the terms and conditions of the agency agreement state that the landlord must comply with the tenancy agreement or face certain consequences, maybe you could even terminate the agreement with the landlord as his actions must have an impact on your business' reputation.

Comment

Hmmm. It may seem that, as my bias is towards the tenant in this situation and I have very good reason for this to be the case due to past history. This is not the norm, of course.
                    However, I have not really had any type of answer to this question, just more questions, so I can assume that no reader of this post knows the answer......as yet anyway!

Comment

Thanks Snorkerz. I guess that's the long and short of it. Much appreciated.

Comment

Your question was - "Is there anything we can do legally here?"

The answer is no.

The tenant could conceivably sue the landlord but the cost and potential consequences (eviction) may outweigh the minor benefits.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Flat rental bathroom query
                          by Landyman
                          Are you saying that the toilet and basin are out in the open, adjacent to the kitchen? Or are they in a separate room?

Does the room have a window? Or a fan ventilator?

It's had to visualise exactly what you mean. Could you sketch a simple floorplan and upload that here p...
                          16-01-2022, 23:47 PM
                        • Flat rental bathroom query
                          by NewGuyOne
                          Hello,

A rented flat with a toilet (of course) and basin next to the kitchen, and a bedroom with a quite small en suite - shower/basin/rail for towel ... Is this acceptable in a flat - with no additional separate bathroom?

Flat consists of 1 bedroom en suite, hallway, lounge,...
                          16-01-2022, 20:13 PM
                        • Reply to Problems with tenant getting work done and not paying me rent
                          by axil23
                          Thank you Lawcruncher.

Just so I am not reading the lease wrong. Executed as a deed means that it has to say that and be witnessed by a 3rd party right?...
                          16-01-2022, 23:23 PM
                        • Problems with tenant getting work done and not paying me rent
                          by axil23
                          I have rented my house to a {name removed} who use it to house Asylum seekers from a govt contract. In June the flat roof developed a leak and they asked me to fix it which I did the next day. 6 months later I get a bill for £1900 for scaffolding, asbestos survey, party wall agreement & for some...
                          13-01-2022, 12:05 PM
                        • surrender of lease charges
                          by jshire
                          Hi,
                          I'm trying to assist a family member who is in the process of surrendering a lease on a shared flat (all tenants moving out). The landlord agreed as the reasons were reasonable. He's sent an email stating that there will be costs that the tenants have to meet, charged by the letting agent...
                          16-01-2022, 20:49 PM
                        • Reply to Gas certificate fail
                          by MdeB
                          But if you had a valid certificate when the tenancy started but failed to give it to the tenant, then I believe that providing them with a current certificate before serving S21 will be OK....
                          16-01-2022, 20:30 PM
                        • Gas certificate fail
                          by ReginaPhalangi
                          We've been renting out our property since 2017 and now have given notice to our tenants to leave. However we have just realised that we have failed to get a gas certificate during their tenancy. Is it possible to get the gas certificate now? Would we need to give notice again after we issue the gas...
                          15-01-2022, 20:05 PM
                        • Reply to No Tenancy agreement
                          by MdeB
                          There are a number (of the order of 20) of grounds under which possession can be sought. See the Housing Act 1988.

The claim is for the period for which they were paying rent whilst there was no required licence in place, up to a maximum of 12 months. Getting a licence ends...
                          16-01-2022, 19:32 PM
                        • Reply to No Tenancy agreement
                          by MdeB
                          That depends on when the tenancy started.

Or, possibly, the one in place when it is given to the tenant. The regulations are ambiguous...
                          16-01-2022, 19:18 PM
                        • Reply to Wales: New Legislation – your roles and responsibilities
                          by steaming
                          4. Antisocial behaviour…..a fair and consistent approach to everyone. No. 4 is then not mentioned in the extended information (click link). Surely this needs explaining in detail or, maybe, they haven’t actually thought further that the nine words used. No surprise.
                          16-01-2022, 19:17 PM
                        Working...
                        X