Notice periods as a tenant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notice periods as a tenant

I believe i have made a mistake but i would like to clarify this as it will now cost me money!

I rent a flat on a tenancy agreement, which states that the agreement ends on the 29th May. We pay the rent on the 26th of every month. it is a six month agreement which we have ended up renewing twice at a cost of £45- £52 per person per renewal. Last renewal when we were on holidays they were not happy letting us stay in the flat if we had not resigned and paid fee (we were not in country to do this)

We are now coming to the end of the agreement and happily have just recieved a completion date to buy a property before the need to renew the contract.

The management company are saying that regardless of the end date of the agreement we needed to give them a months notice. Is this correct? How can this be the case, why have an end date date and get charged renewal fee's, if contracts are allowed to run and still require notice, surely one defeats the other? Though I do not think I have any options

Thank you

No you do not need to give notice to leave on the last day of a fixed term agreement.

Different if you want to stay even a day extra!

http://tenancyanswers.ucoz.com/index/giving_notice/0-20

Comment

Your 'contract' doesnt expire, it just goes periodic if you dont sign a renewal of the fixed term. The expiry date is for the fixed term and not the tenancy agreement. You dont need it to be 'allowed to stay', you can stay anyway until they serve a notice/evict you.

You are charged renewal fees because it sounds like your agents/management company are quite greedy.
      All views posted reflect my personal opinion only and do not constitute professional advice which I am not qualified or knowledgeable enough to provide.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X