Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Furnished vs unfurnished

Hi All,

we own a centrally-located 1 bedroom flat which we're about to start renting out as we are moving abroad.

Just wondering whether any of you have experienced renting out both furnished and unfurnished small apartments, and if so which one worked out best in your case. Horror stories welcome too

I have a small 1 bed flat which I have let for 12 years. Never been furnished. When I initially bought it, I asked agetns advice, and he said there is not much difference in the rental between furnished and unfurnished, and you also have the added cost of updating, refreshing and cleaning it all on a regular basis. You also need to ensure all soft furnishings are up to current fire regs - check if you are buying 2nd hand that things comply. Plus any repairs/breakages not caused by the tenant's misuse, must be repaired/replaced asap at your cost, although you can claim a wear and tear allowance against the tax on your rental income.

You also qualify for up to 6 months council tax exemption if it is empty between lets.

My flat has curtains, carpets, bathroom cabinet and shower curtain, and lampshades! Never had a problem letting it.

Comment

Maybe speak to a local agent to see what they think. I was told that I could charge an extra £25 a month for leaving a few pieces of furniture that I didn't need and that it would be attractive to the type of renters who would like my flat. Also I then got to claim a 10% wear and tear allowance on my tax return, but I do have to pay council tax during voids.

A lot depends on would you have to buy lots of items to furnish the property and what your target market would prefer.

Comment

If possible, try to rent unfurnished.
        Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

I think as stated above it depends on the local market. I would generally advise unfurnished as if you are not in the country do you want the hassle of dealing with a chair leg that's broken for example?

Comment

Look at the bottom of the screen and click on any number of other "furnished or unfurnished" threads...

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X